Where is our van? (1 Viewer)

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
I don’t think the dealers get all the information of the manufacturer, visited the Carthago factory last week, eventually managed to find out that production is way behind because they were building all the 2022 models for the Düsseldorf show, but he did unlock a new Malibu I500 for us and left us alone to have a good look around it, only trouble was I then wished I could have the left hand drive one x

OP
OP
Devon Sue
Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Lynne Roy our van was finished and left the factory mid July. There is a problem with the van battery not retaining charge and no-one seems to be taking any action to sort it out.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
I don’t think the dealers get all the information of the manufacturer, visited the Carthago factory last week, eventually managed to find out that production is way behind because they were building all the 2022 models for the Düsseldorf show, but he did unlock a new Malibu I500 for us and left us alone to have a good look around it, only trouble was I then wished I could have the left hand drive one x
That seems an unlikely excuse as they probably build 1000 plus per year.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Lynne Roy our van was finished and left the factory mid July. There is a problem with the van battery not retaining charge and no-one seems to be taking any action to sort it out.
How frustrating for you, I really hope they sort it for you very soon. It’s not acceptable x

Wot-no-van

Free Member
Sep 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Waiting!
I think the next few months will be a worrying time for any of us that have ordered a 2022 model with a delivery date in 2021. Saw an interview with a dealer saying anyone who will look for a van in 2022 will likely not see it until 2023!

I visited our dealer a few weeks ago and was told that our delivery was 30th Sept, within 4 days was told it is was being moved to Jan 22. Have decided on a Mar hand over to avoid a 71 plate four weeks before 22 plates come in.
Having worked in manufacturing supply chain I cannot believe that the converter is working within a 1 week build schedule that they can move a delivery just 1 week before the due date.

We will be considering our options again if we have another date pushed out after Mar 2022. Not having a van currently we are now missing a 6 month period where we have on the past utilised our vans a lot.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I was talking to a Hymer dealer at the Stratford show last week (he was there on a personal basis, not work).
They sold out their 2022 Hymer allocation weeks ago and will sell out their 2023 allocation before Christmas 2021.

Which means for Hymers by the end of 2021 you will be looking at 2024 delivery!

Like many dealers the problem is not selling the vans, it's getting the stock, and Hymer, like most other manufacturers have rationed each dealer to a limited number.

The dealer reckoned that if he could get hold of the new Hymer Crossover vans he could sell one a day, every day, for the foreseeable future at £120,000 each! (which is 20% more than the equivalent van cost 2 years ago)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I was talking to a Hymer dealer at the Stratford show last week (he was there on a personal basis, not work).
They sold out their 2022 Hymer allocation weeks ago and will sell out their 2023 allocation before Christmas 2021.

Which means for Hymers by the end of 2021 you will be looking at 2024 delivery!

Like many dealers the problem is not selling the vans, it's getting the stock, and Hymer, like most other manufacturers have rationed each dealer to a limited number.

The dealer reckoned that if he could get hold of the new Hymer Crossover vans he could sell one a day, every day, for the foreseeable future at £120,000 each! (which is 20% more than the equivalent van cost 2 years ago)
I just couldn't do it, three years to wait for something, I would have changed my mind a hundred times by then, and when you get it , it's last year's model.
No if I can't have it next week I don't want it.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I just couldn't do it, three years to wait for something, I would have changed my mind a hundred times by then, and when you get it , it's last year's model.
No if I can't have it next week I don't want it.
Many years ago a mate of mine, as a young shipbroker put down a deposit on a Morgan sports car.
At the time they were on a seven year delivery wait.

He reckoned that by the time that he had to pay the remaining 90% of the price he would have made it as a successful shipbroker and would easily have the money.
By the time 7 years were up he had got married, had a child on the way and a mortgage.

However he managed to sell his 'slot' for the Morgan for several times more that he had paid for it as someone with more money than sense was not prepared to wait.

So there it would appear there is now an emerging Futures market!
Put a deposit down on a Hymer Crossover for 2024 delivery and then sell your option on for more than you paid for it in a year or two.

OP
OP
Devon Sue
Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Well, after much to-ing and fro-ing between dealer, garage, dealer, Fiat commercial service centre and finally back to the dealer and their main site workshop it looks as though we may finally have a working van. The battery drain was finally traced to the media unit in the dashboard, does anyone know whether this would have been installed by Fiat in the base vehicle or by Adria as part of the conversion? Supposedly the van now has a permanent draw of 0.1 amp instead of between 1.5 and 2 that it had before. We finally have a delivery date, so my husband will be getting a very nice birthday present on 3rd November. I have seen many complaints about this unit on FB, so hoping that it will not be problematic on an ongoing basis.
Hard to get excited yet, we have been let down and disappointed so many times already.

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
it looks as though we may finally have a working van.

Hurray, I have been 'watching' this thread with a degree of trepidation that you may not get your new shiny van. I pray it proves to be everything you hope for, and that you have no problems. 🤞

Exciting times Sue 👍

Hope to see you somewhere next year, take care both.

OP
OP
Devon Sue
Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Ejaydee I'm hoping this will be our final van, the Europa proved to be a downsize too much from our Burstner, and himself keeps banging his head on sticky out bits of trim. The Adria is same width as PVC, so good in narrow lanes but a longer chassis and back to a square white box. Fixed bed too, so no faffing around with cushions and bedding twice a day.
Lots of sites starting to shut for the winter so we may end up at Kelly Bray on our first trip.

Aji

Dec 8, 2017
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Sgx
Exp
Neen
Well, after much to-ing and fro-ing between dealer, garage, dealer, Fiat commercial service centre and finally back to the dealer and their main site workshop it looks as though we may finally have a working van. The battery drain was finally traced to the media unit in the dashboard, does anyone know whether this would have been installed by Fiat in the base vehicle or by Adria as part of the conversion? Supposedly the van now has a permanent draw of 0.1 amp instead of between 1.5 and 2 that it had before. We finally have a delivery date, so my husband will be getting a very nice birthday present on 3rd November. I have seen many complaints about this unit on FB, so hoping that it will not be problematic on an ongoing basis.
Hard to get excited yet, we have been let down and disappointed so many times already.
Hello,

My new van, an Adria PVC failed its PDI.

Problem with the Media unit, Van was sent to a Fiat Pro dealer for rectification.

Media unit was installed by Fiat, not Adria.

Hope this helps,

Ally

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
Devon Sue I have to say when we visited you near Sennan, I did think that the Europa was nice quality, but a bit tight for space, but then I am not the smallest chap! We have looked at Adrias a couple of years ago and have to say we were impressed and were very interested in ordering a particular model, but the dealer offered a really c**p trade-in price, so he was advised where to put his new van. We put the money towards a new car instead, and that is a whole different story.

Thats a nice site at Kelly Bray, so enjoy. We may have a few nights at local Britstops to get the odd night away, but hopefully bump into you somewhere next year.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The battery drain was finally traced to the media unit in the dashboard, does anyone know whether this would have been installed by Fiat in the base vehicle
As said it is a Fiat unit & by all accounts a common problem. There have even been a few on here .

OP
OP
Devon Sue
Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Popped into our dealer yesterday, van has been standing since Thursday, started straight away so it looks as though problem has been sorted.
Need to sort out insurance ready for collection tomorrow

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Popped into our dealer yesterday, van has been standing since Thursday, started straight away so it looks as though problem has been sorted.
Need to sort out insurance ready for collection tomorrow
Exciting times. Hope pick up goes well - be sure to post some photos!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We put a deposit on a dealer ordered Adria Compact in early July, we were told by our dealer that it had arrived in UK on 18 July and was due at dealership on or around 22 July.
It didn't appear.
We were then told it was due in UK on 8 August.
It didn't appear.
Next story was that it had made it as far as Europort on low loader but the engine would not start to get it off the low loader so it would have to be put back on a low loader for return to factory for rectification as FIAT will not attend as it has not arrived in destination country (factory is currently on 2 week shut down). Have you spotted the discrepancy in that tale?
Now been told it is due to arrive in UK week beginning 30 August and will go to Rotherham for the problem to be diagnosed.
The van is our ideal layout.
There are no others as 2021 stock is sold out.
Do we cancel this reservation - are we buying a pup, knowing it has had such catastrophic issues before delivery - and place an order for a 2022 model, which will be slightly different and more expensive, and at a reduced trade in value for our current van - which the dealer already has a customer waiting for or do we grit our teeth, carry on using our current van and hope that nothing else can go wrong.

Worried that we are going to have a van that will be off the road for extended periods, our FIAT engined Burstner was unusable for 6 months thanks to ERG issues and that really took away the pleasure in that van for us.
This is a tricky one, but here are some thoughts. We were messed about by our dealer. We had a phone call to say Hymer had built the vehicle and it was ready for shipment. About 3 weeks later the receptionist called to tell me the good news the vehicle had been built and was ready for shipment. I pointed out that the vehicle should already be with them. I get another call to say an expected delivery in the next day or two. The delivery happened but our vehicle wasn’t included. Hymer then contacted the dealer and asked when they were going to arrange the vehicle to be shipped ( that’s right folks Hymer chasing the dealer to take delivery). I asked the dealer who the transport company was and they told me I looked at the website and dealers can view live data on where their vehicles are. When I queried a week later where our vehicle was the dealer said he did not know so I emailed the transport company copying the dealer in and unsurprisingly I started getting accurate pick up, journey and delivery details the vehicle was some 3 months late non of which was Hymer’s fault.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

On our HymerCar the media unit is connected to the leisure batteries, there is an on/off switch on the dash to cut the leisure power to the unit. The unit will power up if the ignition is switched on and the leisure on/off switch is left in the off position. All of which means no drain on the engine or leisure battery and if you do cause a drain by leaving the switch in the on position it will only effect the leisure battery.

OP
OP
Devon Sue
Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We finally have our new van sitting safely on our drive at home. I have spent the last couple of days working out where to stow all the cr@p rubbish useful stuff that we take away with us. Food and bedding will go on board just before we take our first trip away.

Exterior 1.jpg
Exterior 2.jpg
Exterior 3.jpg
Interior 1.jpg
Interior 2.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread