Where is our van? (1 Viewer)

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We put a deposit on a dealer ordered Adria Compact in early July, we were told by our dealer that it had arrived in UK on 18 July and was due at dealership on or around 22 July.
It didn't appear.
We were then told it was due in UK on 8 August.
It didn't appear.
Next story was that it had made it as far as Europort on low loader but the engine would not start to get it off the low loader so it would have to be put back on a low loader for return to factory for rectification as FIAT will not attend as it has not arrived in destination country (factory is currently on 2 week shut down). Have you spotted the discrepancy in that tale?
Now been told it is due to arrive in UK week beginning 30 August and will go to Rotherham for the problem to be diagnosed.
The van is our ideal layout.
There are no others as 2021 stock is sold out.
Do we cancel this reservation - are we buying a pup, knowing it has had such catastrophic issues before delivery - and place an order for a 2022 model, which will be slightly different and more expensive, and at a reduced trade in value for our current van - which the dealer already has a customer waiting for or do we grit our teeth, carry on using our current van and hope that nothing else can go wrong.

Worried that we are going to have a van that will be off the road for extended periods, our FIAT engined Burstner was unusable for 6 months thanks to ERG issues and that really took away the pleasure in that van for us.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I feel for you (so to speak :)) but I think in your position I would hang on and see what turns up.

There are only two issues: it's later than promised but I think the initial promises were wildly optomistic and secondly they couldn't start it but without knowing the reason why it's impossible to speculate accurately. It might have been loaded at night and the driver forgot to turn the lights off.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
As your dealer has your trade in sold ( with about £5000 profit margin). Tell him your cancelling the whole order unless you get a larger trade in as used van prices have rocketed. If not you will sell the van privately and order a new van from a mother dealer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
As your dealer has your trade in sold ( with about £5000 profit margin). Tell him your cancelling the whole order unless you get a larger trade in as used van prices have rocketed. If not you will sell the van privately and order a new van from a mother dealer.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Look on the Brightside at least you will get the new Sept1st registration.(y):giggle:
The weather has been crap, its difficult to go overseas, so you haven't missed much.
Hopefully get our 3rd Autumn jab also, taking us back to 90% protected.(y)
Hope that's enough to put the smile back on your face.
Good luck.
LES

Reactions: DBK
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
There are some interesting new upgrades with the 2022 Fiat Ducato which attracted us and you have clearly noticed. We have placed an order for a 2022 Fiat Ducato PVC delivery April 2022 which is fine for us. We have traded in our Caravan already as we do not intend to be using it as we have other holidays booked and the boat to use. The dealer agreed to a very reasonable deposit of 3.5K to be taken from the Caravan part ex and has tranferred the balance of 12k back to me. Now in Premium Bonds, you never know. I suppose it just depends on what you have planned with your current Van between now and delivery of a new one.

jako999

Free Member
Mar 21, 2021
Halesowen
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff
Exp
After chatting with our dealer the other day they said they will soon be telling people delivery will be 2023. Our delivery is already delayed by 3 months

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
This is exactly why we cancelled a new order van and bought new "in stock" van. One just cannot believe what they tell you. You will still have to wait a further circa 6 weeks when the papers go in to DVLA.
Our PX made the dealer £7,500 in ONE hour. They didn't have to touch it. I know as the new buyer contacted me.

OP
OP
Devon Sue
Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
dash300 our dealer mentioned that the 2022 Ducato would have an electronic handbrake. We had a car with this and hated it, we certainly would not want it on a motorhome so this alone would put us off placing an order for a 2022 van.

ReneeSkylark

Free Member
Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
finally got my van August, was due back in April. Am still without table, but seemed better to take the van as is, rather than wait for van with table. At least I'm enjoying the road and the table will follow eventually. If I were you hang on in there, otherwise you could be waiting for ever for something that may never appear. 😆

OP
OP
Devon Sue
Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Well, our van didn't get across to the UK, it didn't go back to the factory either. It had to wait for a slot at a garage in Rotterdam (how the f... did our dealer get Rotherham from that!). They could not diagnose the problem of the van battery draining so latest plan is to limp it to our dealer for them to sort. Still do not know if our van is yet in UK, or whether it has yet arrived at dealer.
We will be bombarding our dealer with emails every other day from now in

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
Sounds like loads of excuses why they don’t have your van , that would raise the red flags for me
I would be wanting to see the paperwork to support their claims

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Well, our van didn't get across to the UK, it didn't go back to the factory either. It had to wait for a slot at a garage in Rotterdam (how the f... did our dealer get Rotherham from that!). They could not diagnose the problem of the van battery draining so latest plan is to limp it to our dealer for them to sort. Still do not know if our van is yet in UK, or whether it has yet arrived at dealer.
We will be bombarding our dealer with emails every other day from now in
I expect the Rotterdam/Rotherham was down to spell check replacement.

It must be extremely disappointing and frustrating for you. From what you've said it sounds as if it is just down to a fault with the battery I'd wait and allow the dealership to rectify the fault.

Jan 8, 2018
Faversham, Kent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo
Could be time to name the dealer so other funsters can avoid him. My experience of Motorhome dealers are bad enough with high level of porkies and lack of real service.
In hind sight we are victims of our own stupidity in believing the bullshit because we want the van so badly we swallow it all and they know it.
Maybe it's time to name and shame.

CutThroatJake

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2020
Bolton
Funster No
MH
HYMER B890 MLi
Exp
Learning
We ordered our HYMER last September with a non-guaranteed delivery in March/April 2021. This was then pushed back to May, then July and eventually got to the UK in early August.

We collected it on 1st September and consider ourselves fortunate. We are down at Cornish Farm having our security fitted and got chatting to a guy who picked up his van last week.

His mate ordered a HYMER the same time as us and has now being told it will be May 22. His dealer also informed him that he has sold his allocation of 2022 vans and has also sold 15 of his 2023 allocation…things are getting crazy.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Most dealers have pretty watertight contracts, delvery times outside of their control etc etc. So read your contract and don't cancel unless your really must, there is not a lot else to buy anyway.

Not that the dealer will be bothered, the way things are right now, you can bet he will be able to sell it for more than the price you agreed.

OP
OP
Devon Sue
Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
At the moment we are only in for a refundable £200 deposit and will wait until the fault is diagnosed and rectified before we decide whether to proceed. Until our dealer gets their hands on the van they cannot do much, it seems to be that no one is able to actually work out how to get the van across and Stena line will not accept it until it is able to drive on and off the ferry under its own steam. Fiat recovery won't touch it as it hasn't reached destination country and registered.
There was a suggested work around to disconnect the battery while the vehicle is standing, so hopefully that can get it on the move enough to get it to the dealer. Once it gets to them we will be tightening the thumbscrews.
We still have our Wildax, and obviously will not be handing it over until collection day so they have another customer waiting for a van as they have already taken a deposit against it.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Not in the least bit surprised.

We ordered our moho at the NEC in February 2018. Delivery date was April at the latest.
We had a three week trip booked for August. No MH so the dealer had to lend us one.
It was finally delivered at the end of October 2018.
It went back to the dealer, once for fixes and they had to send out a technician once to put sealant in the window.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
My mate ordered a VW van for work use in February for May delivery.
Then July, then August, Now October!

As he lives inside the ULEZ his current van has to be sold before the end of October, so he may have to rent a van as the new one is now over 6 months late!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
At the moment we are only in for a refundable £200 deposit and will wait until the fault is diagnosed and rectified before we decide whether to proceed. Until our dealer gets their hands on the van they cannot do much, it seems to be that no one is able to actually work out how to get the van across and Stena line will not accept it until it is able to drive on and off the ferry under its own steam. Fiat recovery won't touch it as it hasn't reached destination country and registered.
There was a suggested work around to disconnect the battery while the vehicle is standing, so hopefully that can get it on the move enough to get it to the dealer. Once it gets to them we will be tightening the thumbscrews.
We still have our Wildax, and obviously will not be handing it over until collection day so they have another customer waiting for a van as they have already taken a deposit against it.
Wonder what consequential issues the battery problem might introduce? Airbag ECU (which are like hen's teeth availability wise), etc.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
We were looking for an Adria 640 SLB at the end of April & wanted to sell ours first before committing. Resulted in missing an in stock van by a few days ☹️ Ordered a 22 model on 7/5 that dealer had previously ordered & we chose the options. He is confident it will be here as planned in October/ November.

Just at the same time a local dealer offered us a new van they had ordered but we had no choice of options & we don’t like the dealer at all. My friend ended up taking that order though & was told van would be here 29th July. It arrived 25th. Still at dealer awaiting DVLA reg as they can’t register it direct themselves, unlike my dealer will do. We should get a date from Adria very soon now.

We’re keeping fingers crossed & hopefully it will arrive. Having been used to 5 months a year away it’s like having our legs cut off

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Those waiting for an Elddis should ask about them losing their glue supplier and how it may effect delivery of new vans. One other company has lost it also but cannot remember it's name.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I wouldn't cancel the order, wait and see how it is. You can always walk away using the problems you've listed as the reason.

OP
OP
Devon Sue
Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Geistguy that is what we are doing, it is just so frustrating that we are getting no information from the dealer. They seem to think that an occasional email to Adria suffices and don't appear to be pushing for something to be done to get our van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back