Where is JackieP now??? (1 Viewer)

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Hello MrsP, I know you from another forum where I'm known as dieseldog..... Glad you are keeping well and enjoying your full time travels! We have just acquired a 1999 Hymer Starline (Mercedes) 640; I just love old Mercs. Have booked 1 way only to France on 1st April next. In September and ten days after returning from a lengthy European trip involving all our close family, 2 vans and a converted lorry, I was diagnosed with mouth cancer. Assured that it was curable I remained positive, focussing on the good prognosis. Following horrific surgery inside my mouth I have just been declared cancer free after a lengthy wait. Full marks to the NHS who acted promptly and were brilliant throughout, and still are. Sorry to hear of the problems with your lovely van, hopefully behind you now. Take care and keep on trucking with Toby Trux, aka Crusty Jack, aka dieseldog.

Another mouth cancer survivor all the best for the future.:xThumb:

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
What a brave lady you are, most guys i know wouldn't do it on their own - its good to hear your enjoying life to the full :xgrin::xgrin: All the Best Jackie - keep us updated please - all the best :xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Hello everyone,

It's been an age since I updated this thread. To tell the truth I've felt a bit of a fraud as I've not really been travelling much and have spent the last couple of months moving between Odeceixe up north down to the south west. The furthest I've travelled along the Algarve was to Lagoa to buy paint and, to be honest, it's not my cup of tea. Too busy and too many vans for me.

There's a massive travelling community down in this south west corner, many of whom have now bought land and are settled here permanently, and they've welcomed me and involved me in their many activities so I'm never short of company should I feel like it.

I've stayed in some wonderful places without any hassle - not including the purge by the GNR in January/ February when I got moved five times in a week. The beaches here are wonderful and the hound and I have spent many a happy day walking and taking in the fresh air.

I met a guy down here who instals solar panels at half the price of the alternatives and he's sorted me out with two 75 watt panels and a 300watt pure sine investor which has made such a difference to the van. At the weekend some pals turned up for a bit of a jam session and I was able to run all the amps for the whole day which was quite a novelty for me.

The van also has had some work. Finally I got the radiator sorted. I bit the bullet and had a new one made and the Bosch garage at Vila do Bispo fitted it for me and also sorted out some steering problems and gave the van a good check over all for the princely sum of £20 an hour! I'm so relieved to know that everything is now in good working order.

And I've started repainting the van too now the weather has begun to improve and the humidity is falling. The roof is done and the front is sanded and filled and ready for painting. It's all good stuff.

So, I'm a happy bunny. Loving the Portuguese life, the people the nature, the beaches and the good food. Feeling healthy and happy and so glad I decided to get off my arse and put myself up for a real challenge. Its done me the world of good.

Till next time…

Oh some pictures.

The view at Sagres

A painting someone did of me and van

The beach at Furnas

Having a jam at the weekend at Barranco beach

IMG_6039.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6167.JPG
    IMG_6167.JPG
    258.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_6477.JPG
    IMG_6477.JPG
    249 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_6649.JPG
    IMG_6649.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 153
Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Great to hear your latest news.;)
Just think how nervous you were about those first steps.:whistle:
Keep enjoying.:)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Look out, Ian's on his way;):)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Lovely to read your post and after your travels you have found a beautiful friendly area to settle goes a while . Lovely photos after all the winter blogs of Portugal it is on my wish list!:sun:

presto

Free Member
Jul 3, 2010
n Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
Good to hear you are getting the life you deserve Jackie Carole and I are in France on our way up from Southern Spain.We will be home in two weeks.Looking forward to getting home and seeing our new greatgrandson.Look after yourself you never know we may meet again hope so.
Presto

Presto

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Barranco Beach looks stunning! We've made a note for when we eventually get to Portugal.

Our daughters have bought Joe a retirement present of a Eurotunnel ticket for 21 June so hoping to make it but we don't want to rush! Our return date is early October.

Denise

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Ha ha. Thank you so much. I don't think of myself as a gutsy lady but looking back, you may have a point. When I think of my first day when I drove onto the boat and could hardly change gear my leg was shaking so much!

I'm off up north this weekend to Freekuency festival. 350 KMS and a havent driven more than 30 st one time for months! I've been living in a bit of a bubble here. It will be interesting to see big roads again.

Till next time.

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Hello everyone,

And here I am back where I began on the Isle of Man, currently parked on Peel prom overlooking Peel castle.

What a trip! It was undoubtably the best year of my life and also the best thing I could ever have done for my emotions and physical wellbeing. I'm a completely different person to the one who left last year. I'm stronger, more resilient, more confident and more capable than I ever knew myself to be.

At the beginning it was far more horrific than I ever let on. I can't tell you how scared I was but as time went on and things became more routine I settled down and started to really enjoy myself.

The experiences I had and the people I met were just incredible and, right now, I can't ever see me living in bricks and mortar again. I've got it in my blood and I'm going to keep going till I drop.

With that in mind, my boat is booked to leave the Island at the end of August and I'm off again, Destination as yet unknown - but isn't that what it's all about?

Thank you one and all for the love and support you have given me along the way. If it hadn't been for you guys, I might still be sitting at home scared about the future and getting more scared by the day.

It's a funny old world isn't it. Scared to death by everything and then do something that really really scares you and the fear goes away.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
So glad you have found yourself. The journey can be fraught with all those emotions that are there to test us ! It sounds like you have well and truly tested but you have passed and now leading the wonderful life of your choice.
Good luck for your next adventure!!

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Glad you have enjoyed your year away and have come back more positive about your life...sometimes it takes a big upheaval or change for us to realise you and what we are. Good for you Jackie we look forward to your next adventure.:)

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Happy to see that all went well in the end (or nearly!;)) .
I hope that next travel will see you come my way so we can meet!

Fortunately not now, as I'm suffering a second gypsies' invasion! This one being far worse than the first one I had a fortnight ago!

Dec 18, 2010
Norfolk.
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2008-20??
Thank you for the update and so glad you'r finding yourself.Good luck and safe travels.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
So pleased you had a good time, and built your confidence up no end. I may see you around before you get the boat again. Happy Tynwald day Jackie!

Craig

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Jackie !!!
You have FINALY become the Lady you were always capable of being !!!
We are all "formed" by our experiences and the people we meet and choose to share our lives with (good and bad).
Good luck with the rest of your travels, keep us informed ( this site can sometimes be your saviour as well as your friend !!)
Who knows, now that your mind is strong and clean, SOME lucky man may well catch your eye and your future may have yet more twists and turns to come !!!
Be lucky, stay open and trust your own judgement.
Much love.
Mitch. (y)(y)(y).

Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Hi :hi: Jackie wishing you the very best of luck on your next adventure(y) and keep us posted on your travels..
enjoy the happy times ahead. Mew

Mimi

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Exp
Since 2016
Me too, (read the whole thread)good luck to you and may your adventures continue safely.
I'm also a single female traveller this being my first year with a motorhome. I'd love to venture abroad so perhaps when I have gained a bit more experience who knows.
All the very best to you.
Mimi

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back