Where have all the (mains electric domestic) Fans gone??? (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Depending upon which weather report you see, today is the hottest day since 1976. Unless you live up North. Saw storms in Newcastle on TV; wish we had some.

Sod's Law then that my pedestal fan - which has been running constantly for the past 5 days - has given up the ghost! It started with an intermittent annoying metal sound (which kept me awake awaiting the next 'clink') and turned into a fell-blown screech! Having tried to lubricate it to no avail, it's next journey is to the local dump. Soooooo....

We decide to invest in another fan; cheap'n cheerful would do as long as it's relatively quiet. Ha! You try buying one. Bleeding Q, Tesco, Homebase etc - out of stock, sold out. Can get one from China in six weeks if you like. No worries, says Mrs W, we'll get a flash one with a timer and remote control. Hours later on the net and approaching 80+ quid ones, still no joy. All sold, even at that price!

So WHO has got all the damn fans? :mad:

PS. Don't post back and say "Oh they've got tons in BM Stores in Netherhopping"

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
We purchased four of these three speed + breeze function, remote controlled, oscillating, timered tower fans from Homebase 9 years ago - still going strong @ £20 squiddlys each (y)

WP_20170619_09_21_29_Pro.jpg

Adbt

Banned
May 19, 2015
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 740 SE
Exp
"they've got tons in BM Stores in Netherhopping "
(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Depending upon which weather report you see, today is the hottest day since 1976. Unless you live up North. Saw storms in Newcastle on TV; wish we had some........."

I can confirm that the TV wasn't wrong. I'm close to 30 miles south of Newcastle and at 10am the rain was bouncing 12" off the ground, with thunder & lightning, and it was so dark, I had the inside lights on.... Until I lost all power !

So with nothing better to do, I made the most of the drop in temperature and had the inaugural lighting of the new stove :clap2:

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Update:

Oh, and the fan saga continues......
I've just received an email from Amazon apologising for CANCELLING my fan order :mad::mad:
Apparently, the stock was not updated quickly enough from the supplier to keep pace with demand. So, apart from a poxy little desk fan that I've dug out of the loft, I'm still decent fan-less!

I've ordered a replacement from Amazon, but guess what? Won't be here until the rain arrives! Arghhhhhh!

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Our local, family-run electrical retailer provided 7 fans for the primary school here, free of charge. It pays to live in a good community (y)(y)

Gordon

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Depending upon which weather report you see, today is the hottest day since 1976. Unless you live up North. Saw storms in Newcastle on TV; wish we had some.

Sod's Law then that my pedestal fan - which has been running constantly for the past 5 days - has given up the ghost! It started with an intermittent annoying metal sound (which kept me awake awaiting the next 'clink') and turned into a fell-blown screech! Having tried to lubricate it to no avail, it's next journey is to the local dump. Soooooo....

We decide to invest in another fan; cheap'n cheerful would do as long as it's relatively quiet. Ha! You try buying one. Bleeding Q, Tesco, Homebase etc - out of stock, sold out. Can get one from China in six weeks if you like. No worries, says Mrs W, we'll get a flash one with a timer and remote control. Hours later on the net and approaching 80+ quid ones, still no joy. All sold, even at that price!

So WHO has got all the damn fans? :mad:

PS. Don't post back and say "Oh they've got tons in BM Stores in Netherhopping"
Perhaps other people thought it was a bit hot too and decided to buy a fan.

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I used to buy the things for bleedin'Q, many years ago. Here you have a product that is bulky (and so costs money to store in the UK), on at least a 3 month lead time from the Far East, and which really doesn't sell at big volumes until it gets hot for a few consecutive days - at which point everyone goes out and buys one.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't - buy loads at the start of the season and there will never be a sustained run of hot weather, you'll end up spending more than they are worth storing the things. Be conservative and buy a few and you're guaranteed hot weather and will miss loads of sales. You try accurately predicting the weather 3 to 6 months out!

I worked for a supermarket chain who bought loads of kids sledges one year - thereby ensuring we had next to no snow for the next 3 years!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back