Where has my storage gone (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
I have an Asus transformer tablet running Windows 8.1with 32 Gb storage which actually shows as 28,3 Gb, I have a 32 Gb SD card for all my files etc.

The available internal storage is disappearing as fast as I delete programmes, I run AVG tune up and clear some space but this disappears as I use the tablet, currently about 70Mb.

What is using all the storage on the internal drive, I knew when I bought it that the operating system took up a large chunk of the memory but the tablet is now becoming unuseable, I can't downloadup dates etc as there is no space?

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I've only ever used Android and Apple tablets so I can't personally advise you but, if you do a search on the Internet for this problem with this particular tablet, you will find a few people have also had the same problem and forums offer advice on how to solve it. One was to empty the recycle bin after you delete apps etc but I don't want to put any links on here having not tried them myself! Hope you manage to find a solution.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Whenever you get an update on windows there is a drop in available storage because it keeps the old versions so you can go back. You can delete these in file manager.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

Deleted User
Whenever you get an update on windows there is a drop in available storage because it keeps the old versions so you can go back. You can delete these in file manager.

Where do I find file manager?

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Go to disk cleaner and then chose options to delete. Old window files should be there.
Also stored as :windows.old

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Is 32GB all the disk space you have? You really need 256GB and you shouldn't need to spend more than Ā£30 for one. It will mean reinstalling the Window 8.1 which might be a struggle if you don't have it on a disk.

Alternatively, move all files like images to an external drive linked by a USB cable. This might free up a bit of space but Windows 8.1 is probably taking up at least 20GB so you don't have much to play with. :)

OP
OP

Deleted User
Is 32GB all the disk space you have? You really need 256GB and you shouldn't need to spend more than Ā£30 for one. It will mean reinstalling the Window 8.1 which might be a struggle if you don't have it on a disk.

Alternatively, move all files like images to an external drive linked by a USB cable. This might free up a bit of space but Windows 8.1 is probably taking up at least 20GB so you don't have much to play with. :)

The initial lack of disc space is the problem, I have moved all storage files to an sd card, I also have a couple of separate hard drives with all music and photos etc
All that is left is windows and installed apps that I can't remove plus a few programmes that I need.
I do not have the knowledge to move any of the operating system to an external hard drive.

• Thanks
Reactions: DBK

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
If it's the same as Windows in laptops could you factory reset it and re-install the OS, that should get rid of all the previous updates, junk etc. You would need to install your required programs again etc.

OP
OP

Deleted User
If it's the same as Windows in laptops could you factory reset it and re-install the OS, that should get rid of all the previous updates, junk etc. You would need to install your required programs again etc.
A little beyond my capabilities I'm afraid but thanks for the info (y)

Reactions: SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
What exact model do you have as, after reading some forums, there is a diy storage bay where you can add additional SSD storage. Of course, this is not cheap and if your tablet is fairly old you might not consider it viable.
Another partial solution that was posted was this:

That's a lot of space for Windows updates. There are ways to get rid of the fluff from the updates. Right click on the drive - properties - tools clean disk. On the next screen click clean again and check the items to clean. Among the items will be some update leftovers.
Another poster suggested formatting the tablet then installing Windows 10 which saved 12gb. I know you said this would be beyond your capabilities but if you know someone who could do it for you then it might sort your problem. There's also threads which indicate you can upgrade to Windows 10 using a media creation tool supplied by Microsoft for free and looks simple (search update windows 8.1 to 10 free). A problem you might have is your lack of storage to download the update unless it can be stored on your external sd card or hard drive, catch-22. Hope this helps.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Ps I added the last paragraph, it's not from a post!

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Windows OS deletes the windows.old eventually. After 30 days or something.
Or, when the owner knows the new OS on his PC is OK it can be removed by disk cleanup tool.
Where the OP can also find options to delete temp foldersā€™ content, etc.

You can find disk cleanup in Menu or by right clicking on the drivers (and ā€œMy PCā€?). Drive Cleanup is a Properties option.

Deleting system manages files manually via file explorer should be the last option, IMO (y)

The main problem is the small OS drive.
Youā€™ll always be managing free space.
I had that isssue with a 128GB SSD OS drive šŸ˜³

You can configure where Windows saves data too. Iā€™ve changed them all to d: locations. Even then thereā€™s still free space admin needed eventually.
At least a Windows PC upgrade is a POP task šŸ˜…

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I reset mine to factory setting and sold it . Got very annoyed with it and it was so slow with so little space to keep things on it.
I added a guest to it so the future buyer could see it working , then deleted my account

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks to all for the advice.
After doing a search on the internet for this problem one suggestion was that as the increasingly limited storage space is re used and written over the capability reduces, that's my simplistic take on what was posted.

I have purged at least 2 Gb of superfluous programmes files etc over the last few weeks but the freed storage space disappears within a few hours of use.

I have looked at Disk clean up and everything has already been cleaned, only 6.6Kb to clean!

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I reset mine to factory setting and sold it . Got very annoyed with it and it was so slow with so little space to keep things on it.
I added a guest to it so the future buyer could see it working , then deleted my account
Is this Asus tablet model about 6yr old?
Maybe it is getting too out dated now.
I donā€™t know what the OPs needs are but I ditched mini laptops for a tablet successfully šŸ¤Ŗ
Iā€™ve an iPad Mini 4 with 128GB storage - which is also getting old, tech wise šŸ¤”

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Thanks to all for the advice.
After doing a search on the internet for this problem one suggestion was that as the increasingly limited storage space is re used and written over the capability reduces, that's my simplistic take on what was posted.

I have purged at least 2 Gb of superfluous programmes files etc over the last few weeks but the freed storage space disappears within a few hours of use.

I have looked at Disk clean up and everything has already been cleaned, only 6.6Kb to clean!
I donā€™t know how rapidly storage tech is changing to resolve this but, yes, none spinning disk storage (like SSD) are expected to fail after a number of read write cycles. Itā€™s a number in the millions but Iā€™ve seen ā€œSSD life leftā€ stats in product GUI

OP
OP

Deleted User

Is this Asus tablet model about 6yr old?
Maybe it is getting too out dated now.
I donā€™t know what the OPs needs are but I ditched mini laptops for a tablet successfully šŸ¤Ŗ
Iā€™ve an iPad Mini 4 with 128GB storage - which is also getting old, tech wise šŸ¤”

I have been very pleased with this tablet, yes I have had it for about 6 years and since my main laptop failed 6 months ago I have used it for all my computing needs.

I do not want to upgrade to Windows 10 or use any Apple products but will probably have to go down one of those routes and a keyboard is essential for me.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have moved all storage files to an sd card, I
Any important files make sure you have at least one other backup as SD cards are not the most reliable of storage devices. I've had quite a few die, even had one go up in a puff of smoke when I plugged it in.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I do not want to upgrade to Windows 10 or use any Apple products but will probably have to go down one of those routes and a keyboard is essential for me.
If you can live with the storage limits and the asus is otherwise OK for you, definitely stick with it (y)

I was anti Apple for years. I had to occasionally work on Macs for work and never saw the attraction, but mrskevenh wanted an MP3 player many years ago, and I thought my Philips MP3 player too techy for her.
So I bought her an iPod.
In the short time I had it, to get her some tunes on it before wrapping it, I was an apple gadget fan.
It was a much simpler user experience.
I bought my own iPod.
Then I later chose an iPhone for work as soon as my employer offered one.
Now Iā€™m buying my own iPhones šŸ§ (0% apr over 2 yr (~Ā£17) from apple)
Oh! Forgot, somewhere in that period I got an iPad for its larger screen... lol

edit: the iPhone finance I mentioned is a little short. Maybe there was a small deposit missed, but it is about right. iPhone SE2 32GB

OP
OP

Deleted User
If you can live with the storage limits and the asus is otherwise OK for you, definitely stick with it (y)

I was anti Apple for years. I had to occasionally work on Macs for work and never saw the attraction, but mrskevenh wanted an MP3 player many years ago, and I thought my Philips MP3 player too techy for her.
So I bought her an iPod.
In the short time I had it, to get her some tunes on it before wrapping it, I was an apple gadget fan.
It was a much simpler user experience.
I bought my own iPod.
Then I later chose an iPhone for work as soon as my employer offered one.
Now Iā€™m buying my own iPhones šŸ§ (0% apr over 2 yr (~Ā£17) from apple)
Oh! Forgot, somewhere in that period I got an iPad for its larger screen... lol

edit: the iPhone finance I mentioned is a little short. Maybe there was a small deposit missed, but it is about right. iPhone SE2 32GB
It still functions for my basic computing needs so will stick with it for a while.
It's not bee a good year for gadgets, I have an ipod touch which died earlier in the year, I liked the ipod but did not like Apple's control over loading stuff onto it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just to confirm, you did also click the "Clean up system files" button?
1605972948680.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back