Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
When we bought Kcy chausson flash 18 months ago a fire extinguisher was in the cupboard floating round with all the other bits and bobs. So at this minute Steve is walking round thinking where to put it. Any ideas.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
just inside hab door screwed to wardrobe at head height

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
In the wardrobe while travelling, at the side of the bed at night.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Behind the drivers seat , accessible from both inside and outside the van.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Ours is just inside th Hab door at floor height. I guess the thought there is that you will be able to see it when you're crawling around on the floor trying to keep below the smoke.....

Or, you can just open the Hab door from outside and grab it without going in.

Who knows?

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Fire extinguisher behind the passenger's seat.

Fire blanket inside a cupboard door by the kitchen; makes less mess than a fire extinguisher if it's a small fire in the kitchen.

Mike

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
On the side of the fridge, which also happens to be at the end of the bed

OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Ours is just inside th Hab door at floor height. I guess the thought there is that you will be able to see it when you're crawling around on the floor trying to keep below the smoke.....

Who knows?
Bingo, that's what his nibs was just thinking,mainly cause it'll be out of the way but accessible

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp

Who knows?
Same as ours, hopefully we'll never have to use it, remember to check your use by date it could save your life. :)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Ours is still in date with the needle in the green. They should be checked at least yearly.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
When you check them, annually, give them a good shake to loosen the powder, the vibration of the van in motion makes the contents compact. We used to do this on board ship as they also have constant vibration.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Ours is floor level by Hab door and a fire blanket directly above head high next to hob

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just inside hab door easily accessible inside or out. but dont forget to shake up powder extinguishers regularly or they are useless when really needed

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hab. Door, under the Alarm, (if that Bl**dy thing goes off again we'll use the extinguisher as a hammer)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
In driver door well and fire blanket in kitchen area.
Might invest in the non powder extinguisher seen at Peterbrough show .

Huskydog

Free Member
Oct 23, 2015
kent
Funster No
MH
Lunar roadstar 620
Exp
We have a bucket of water stood on the end chest , but I have to drive slowly so the water doesn't spill out :whistle:

But seriously ,I have one by the hab door and one by the drivers seat ,a fire blanket next to the oven and a smoke alarm at the end of the van

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
When I did the Marine / Offshore fire-fighting course, the fire officer had this is to say. "Think, when you are in a "space" and the fire starts, one of the things you need to effect an escape (bearing in mind most spaces in a vessel or rig do not have Portholes (Windows) to escape through) is some means of controlling the conflagration on your way OUT!".

With that in mind, ours is situated between the bed, low down in the wardrobe where I can get my hands on it easily, and the Stove, (alongside which is the Heater/water unit, both a most likely seat of fire?,) and on my way to the Hab door and OUT, BUT, the Fire Blanket, is within easy reach opposite the Stove for use if a fire was to start when cooking.

If you are outside the unit, then closing all doors, reducing air access, and cutting off fuel supply, IF SAFE to so do, then use whatever is to hand outside the unit. Saving LIFE is more essential than saving property!.

Having once had to fight fire at sea, tackling (another) one at first hand is not something I want to repeat!.

Pete

Last edited:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Having seen videos of Motorhomes when they catch light and how quickly the fire takes control, I may well not be looking for the extinguisher, I will concentrate on getting out and sod the MH. If in bed we have large window so that would suit us for a quick exit.(y)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Having seen videos of Motorhomes when they catch light and how quickly the fire takes control, I may well not be looking for the extinguisher, I will concentrate on getting out and sod the MH. If in bed we have large window so that would suit us for a quick exit.(y)

Same here. Ours is just a tiny thing that probably would be useless in the event of a proper fire anyway.

And that comes from me, a highly trained Fire Marshall for my firm.

Well, I had a 2 hour course on fire fighting about 10 years ago anyway

travelling wilbury

Free Member
Mar 27, 2016
somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline i138
Exp
since 2009
Bingo, that's what his nibs was just thinking,mainly cause it'll be out of the way but accessible
ours is in the very same spot.....
fire blanket inside wardrobe, hanging on back of the door, right next to the kitchen...

Reactions: kcy

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Just inside hab door ready to grab on the way out. Not sure I'd have presence of mind to grab it though, never having tackled a fire and never wish to either! Reading this though has taught me to give it an occasional shake and check the date on it.

OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
What gets me is why isn't it in situ when you buy the vehicle.
same here but rules is rules and in France it's on the list of must haves. And fed up with it rolling round the cupboard. My priority ebony,me,steve out quick

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
What gets me is why isn't it in situ when you buy the vehicle.

same here but rules is rules and in France it's on the list of must haves. And fed up with it rolling round the cupboard. My priority ebony,me,steve out quick

Oh yes, I have one, I tuck it in the cupboard.......out of harms way.(y)

Does Steve know that he is 3rd :)

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Just near the habitation door and at floor level (it won't drop from a massive height, it would be closer to the available air space in the event of smoke and it is in an open space and very available i.e. NOT inside a cupboard)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have one just inside the hab door on a pucka bracket. and a second one on another bracket just inside the passenger door behind the seat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back