Where do you get your gas canisters from? (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
We're picking our new motorhome up next week and asked about gas canisters. Hayes will provide us with a 6kg canister (at a charge!), but the motorhome holds 2 x 13kg. On looking at the website for our local gas supplier, their deposit is £30 regardless of size, so if we take the 6kg one, will we be able to exchange that for a 13kg refill without paying any extra deposit?

Regarding the title of my thread, where do you all get your gas from? Dedicated gas suppliers, B & Q, petrol stations or do you go to a camping/caravan supplies place? Do the prices vary greatly? Our local supplier, Cheshire Gas, charges £19.50 for a 12kg propane + £30 deposit.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Usually canisters are small. Think you're talking about cylinders.
Anyway, Calor is available throughout the country but more expensive. Your local gas suppliers will probably be cheaper but it may only be exchangeable with them. Calor deposits reduce after the first year then eventually you get nothing back as a deposit. Other companies usually give money back years later. See if there are any 6kg cylinders on eBay either full or empty as when I had refillable cylinders fitted, I sold mine on there
Calor will exchange 6 for 13 and vice versa

Upvote 0

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Calor seem to have a monopoly and prices are pretty much the same wherever you buy from and their prices are prohibitive . If you find you are 'smitten' with motorhoming then many people have Gaslow or similar systems fitted. £800 approx (2 x 13Kg's) but then you fill up your own refillable cylinders, and provided you use your van often, i.e. in winter, it wont take long to recoup your initial outlay, and gas will cost a fraction of the cost of replacement cylinders.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Calor seem to have a monopoly and prices are pretty much the same wherever you buy from and their prices are prohibitive . If you find you are 'smitten' with motorhoming then many people have Gaslow or similar systems fitted. £800 approx (2 x 13Kg's) but then you fill up your own refillable cylinders, and provided you use your van often, i.e. in winter, it wont take long to recoup your initial outlay, and gas will cost a fraction of the cost of replacement cylinders.
I can certainly second @canopus. Last time we exchanged, it cost nearly £60 for 2 cylinders. The same equivalent time abroad the year after with Gaslow, it cost £9.92. We didn't use it much then but overall I reckon it's the best investment I ever made after the Moho.
It's greatest asset is the convenience of filling up virtually anywhere rather than getting your money back and the cylinders are transferable if you change your Moho

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i havent paid a deposit for a cylinder for years. either pick up part full from the tip or local paper/website (freecycle) alternatively gasit refillable systems, which are much better from about £150 (single cylinder)

from many years of experience, replacement cylinders always run out when most inconvenient. changing a cylinder in the rain in the dark is not fun. then you have to seek out a supplier local to where you are camping and pray they have a full cylinder of the correct size. there are less suppliers about than there used to be

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i havent paid a deposit for a cylinder for years. either pick up part full from the tip or local paper/website (freecycle) alternatively gasit refillable systems, which are much better from about £150 (single cylinder)

from many years of experience, replacement cylinders always run out when most inconvenient. changing a cylinder in the rain in the dark is not fun. then you have to seek out a supplier local to where you are camping and pray they have a full cylinder of the correct size. there are less suppliers about than there used to be

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Get mine from GO Outdoors.

Be aware there are both butane (blue) and propane (red) version of Calor Gas cylinders for motorhomes.
There are also various sizes, as you're aware.
You can also get a Lite version of the propane 6kg cylinder.
Note, propane and butane can both be used in a motorhome but they require different regulators.
Have a look at Calor's website - https://www.calor.co.uk/ for options \ safety \ etc.

If you are thinking of going abroad be aware Calor refills are, generally, not available and the local gas cylinders use other different regulators!

Other main cylinder supplier is FloGas who have stockists throughout the UK but not to the same extent as Calor. https://www.flogas.co.uk/

There will be other points \ topics I've missed that others will be along shortly to add.

Upvote 0

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
It's another recommendation for a refillable system from me.
We have filled ours in Spain, Italy, Belgium France and Germany without any problems.
The initial outlay is soon recouped.
Gas low is the way to go.
Brisey.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Get mine from GO Outdoors.

Be aware there are both butane (blue) and propane (red) version of Calor Gas cylinders for motorhomes.
There are also various sizes, as you're aware.
You can also get a Lite version of the propane 6kg cylinder.
Note, propane and butane can both be used in a motorhome but they require different regulators.
Have a look at Calor's website - https://www.calor.co.uk/ for options \ safety \ etc.

If you are thinking of going abroad be aware Calor refills are, generally, not available and the local gas cylinders use other different regulators!

Other main cylinder supplier is FloGas who have stockists throughout the UK but not to the same extent as Calor. https://www.flogas.co.uk/

There will be other points \ topics I've missed that others will be along shortly to add.
Yes get mine from Go outdoors as well.. Much cheaper than caravan stores or campsites .

Upvote 0

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Get yourself off to the Gas it website and get refillable.

http://www.gasit.co.uk/

Dead easy to install or if you can't do it yourself go to a dealer and get the other ones fitted, Gas Low. Don't pratt about with exchange ones on a brand new motorhome they are a pain, get a manual or auto changeover and refill when one bottle runs out at a petrol station that does autogas.

Keep your 6kg bottle and get yourself a hose that connects to your bottle and fill point for emergency use if you use up all your gas and you cant find autogas (not that you will ever need it) That way you are totally covered and could even camp on the moon!

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Refillable system from Thirsk in Yorkshire ... can someone remind me of their name please .. AutoGas something.

It cost me £7 to fill my 13 kg cylinder ...

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Apparently it is fairly easy to fit but I certainly wouldn't but that's me. There's a guy in Bamber Bridge that fits Gaslow (possibly others too). Phil at Rhinoinstalls. He's well recommended.

Upvote 0

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
Fitted mine myself its just a question of a spanner and a place to mount the fill point. I put mine in the locker. You simply connect the bottles then the pigtails to the regulator ( I changed my standard to the autochangeover, removed two mounting screws and a simple swap)

Its so easy even you could do it EX51SS, Blindfolded and with one arm behind your back!

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Fitted mine myself its just a question of a spanner and a place to mount the fill point. I put mine in the locker. You simply connect the bottles then the pigtails to the regulator ( I changed my standard to the autochangeover, removed two mounting screws and a simple swap)

Its so easy even you could do it EX51SS, Blindfolded and with one arm behind your back!
Believe me @Camping Gaza, yes I could probably fit it but there's no way I'd trust it. Believe me. I could fill the Daily smile thread with my attempts at DIY.
However, I'd try but I'd have to be say in Hull whilst you tested it (without checking). I reckon I'd overtake Usain

download.jpg

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Apparently it is fairly easy to fit but I certainly wouldn't but that's me. There's a guy in Bamber Bridge that fits Gaslow (possibly others too). Phil at Rhinoinstalls. He's well recommended.
As far as I know but not confirmed, he still does mobile fitting too.

Upvote 0

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Refillable system from Thirsk in Yorkshire ... can someone remind me of their name please .. AutoGas something.

It cost me £7 to fill my 13 kg cylinder ...
Autogas 2000 at Carlton Minniot just outside Thirsk.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Message to the OP.
Since as you are in Madchester (sic) ring BCS Manchester in Rochdale.
Ask them to fit you a refillable bottle (or two)
They won't charge the earth and you'll be fixed without going on a long journey.
Tel No. is 01706 377005 or Mob. 07831 779838
You may notice that I live in Cornwall. The Avatar is the 'van we bought at BCS three yrs. ago. Not one minute of regret since (and tell them I said so.)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you want 2 x 13kg Calor cylinders (full) it will cost you around £68 each = £136, for not much more you can get a single refillable system and then buy cheaper gas ... if you really wanted you could have a smaller Calor etc as a back-up just to be safe and you can usually pick them up at car boot sales etc cheap ... certainly a LOT cheaper than getting one from Calor direct!

This is the way I'd go now if I had to start again as I certainly wouldn't want to be 'stuck' with just exchange cylinders at the extortionate cost.

It isn't difficult to install a refillable cylinder either so don't let that put you off.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
If you want 2 x 13kg Calor cylinders (full) it will cost you around £68 each = £136, for not much more you can get a single refillable system and then buy cheaper gas ... if you really wanted you could have a smaller Calor etc as a back-up just to be safe and you can usually pick them up at car boot sales etc cheap ... certainly a LOT cheaper than getting one from Calor direct!

This is the way I'd go now if I had to start again as I certainly wouldn't want to be 'stuck' with just exchange cylinders at the extortionate cost.

It isn't difficult to install a refillable cylinder either so don't let that put you off.
images (3)_1.jpg

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Forgot to add earlier, if you intend to spend any time abroad having a refillable system will be a godsend as you won't have to worry about if you've taken enough 'UK' gas cylinders with you to last!

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
For me I did the maths and re-fillable wasn't worth it...
Dont use enough plus i often have Spanish bottles and the gas there is a lot cheaper.

If you want a couple of bottles, full and cheap to get you going try these....

http://gasdeal.co.uk/13kg-butane-gas-cylinder/

2 x 13kg of butane inc bottles for £42 (y)

Upvote 0

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Amazing isn't it th OP asks where do you get your gas from and he gets told that he should fit a refillable system and very few answers to his actual question . Maybe he doesn't want a refillable system or cannot justify the cost for his limited use all he wanted to know was where do others get their cylinders from . . I am aware some will jump on me for saying that but I don't care .lol.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Amazing isn't it th OP asks where do you get your gas from and he gets told that he should fit a refillable system and very few answers to his actual question . Maybe he doesn't want a refillable system or cannot justify the cost for his limited use all he wanted to know was where do others get their cylinders from . . I am aware some will jump on me for saying that but I don't care .lol.
That's very true and it has grown arms and legs to divert to a different area but in saying that, I think (and I'm as guilty as others) members are expressing their own experiences throughout the years.
The reason for my input was that it took me probably 6 years to decide and I really did have to justify the outlay etc. I eventually took the plunge and decided to have refillable fitted.
There are other 'additions' that we look at and, certainly from my point of view, I have to justify the item/cost.
I cannot justify satellite tv and I cannot justify solar panels either but there are others whose viewpoint and justification is at the opposite end of the spectrum.
The OP's question was answered to a degree but, starting out as a suggestion, members put their experiences to the thread which of course is open to everyone, not just the OP.
Don't mind me, I'm probably rambling

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I got the impression the OP is newbe and probably did not know about refillable, as far I can see all good advice. Anyway who wants to lug heavy cylinders about when you can do it the easy way.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I got the impression the OP is newbe and probably did not know about refillable, as far I can see all good advice. Anyway who wants to lug heavy cylinders about when you can do it the easy way.
I'm not sure there is much weight saving overall. I used Calor and BP Lite and cylinders were light when empty.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back