Where do they come from? (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Connected our motorhome up to leccy yesterday to put the heating on to give her a bit of an airing out, left her like that for about four hours, came back to find about twenty flies buzzin about on the windows, yuk I hate flies, thing is I have a caravan down on the south coast and its the same thing, put the heating on for a while and they just appear from nowhere:Angry:

Where are they coming from???? anyone else have this problem and what did you do???:thumb:

Tim

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
at this time of year they will already be in the van, hiding away in a dark place.

the sudden warmth will bring them out of 'hibernation'.

we had this problem at a previous house....cold loft and a pigeon had got in and rotted.

shortly after i turned the 100w light on they started to 'wake' up with the warmth.

thousands of the buggers.

the council would have sorted it, but when and at what cost ?.....20 full tins of fly spray sorted them out.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
a few years ago there was a programe on and funnily enough one of the things on the programe was a static caravan which had your problem, apparently the flies had found a gap and were 'hibernating' somehow between the inner and outer skin of the van and when the van was warmed up they woke up and entered via any vents into the warmed van. I think you should check your van over carefully for any little gaps and remember they only need a very little gap to get in.
In spain a static i had used to get wasps inbetween the outer and inner skins and they made nests and on shinning a torch on a couple of vents could see the nests, so we taped up all inner vents to stop them from entering into the van (dont leave the vents taped up if you do that when you are using the van) we did it because the van was little used we also used some spray from B&Q that was a wasp nest destroyer to get rid of them and then made sure that all access points were closed up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
We had flies in our loft, managed to get rid, but one thing i came across was a "bomb" type thing designed for lofts etc. Like a mole smoker, you light it, and the smoke kills all insects in the area, flies spiders etc etc. Nor sure if they would b safe for mh.s or caravans, but they would be cheaper than getting the pro's in, when we had a wasp nest in the eaves, they charged us £55. Worth investigating maybe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back