Where can I refill Safefill gas bottle in Spain (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
So, I finally managed (thanks to all the awesome folk on here) get myself a Spanish adapter for my Safefill gas canister. Alas, my yippees didn't last for long.

So, I drive to a garage with LPG nearby. Fit the adapter. Put the nossle to the adapter, open the tap on the cylinder and nothing happens. Hmmmm.

The attendant in the garage is on his lonesome so he can't come out and his English is about as good as my Spanish.

We decide to go to another garage with LPG. This time not only do we have the same problem, but the guy in the motorhome next to us - a Dutch guy - can't get it to work for him either. We go inside to ask the attendant and he tells us it isn't allowed for security reasons.

Am I doing something wrong or am I just going to the wrong garages (Repsol). Hope someone can help as it is freezing over here at night.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
A frend had the same problem he had to get a filer hose made up to go into the bottle and door mounted filler so its just like a normal lpg system
bill

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
It all seems a bit odd. I really like the Safefill bottle, and when we filled it up in the UK it was a breeze, but being stuck in Spain when the temperature is cold on a night and we need to head back up to Santander, it just isn't any fun at all :-(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BKen

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Rojales Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2000
A frend had the same problem he had to get a filer hose made up to go into the bottle and door mounted filler so its just like a normal lpg system
bill
If you take the bottle out and try to fill it on the courtyard you are not going to be allowed to do it for safety reasons the best way is as the quote above.. fit a pig tail to an outside filler point .My guess is the attendents see what you are doing and deactivate the pump in your present set up.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Gaslow or Alugas should be able to supply fittings but also note that the bottle/s must be securely fixed inside the van, preferably with a metal clamp (Germany) or the plastic straps usually supplied.
I wonder what Safefill have to say about the above?

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
cant understand why your having such a problem filling your safefill bottle , I've filled mine twice since arriving in Spain .
Once at a Repsol station and the second time at an independent service station near La manga .
When attaching the gun you only need to push the female gas connection on with only a small amount of effort until you hear the click like sound , then open the valve on the cylinder and squeeze the trigger and press the green button on the pump and after a few seconds you will here the LPG filling the cylinder.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
No offence meant but are you doing it correctly? Fit adaptor to bottle, nice and tight :xwink:. Fit filler gun to the adaptor. Lift filler gun leaver and lock it up / on. Open bottle valve. Press the big button on the pump and hold until your cylinder is full. Make sure you keep your bottle upright throughout the process.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
As above cannot see why you are having such a problems. WE have filled our Safefill bottles all over Europe with no problems We always use Repsol garages, many of the Repsol attendants are very helpful and often have a connector under the counter.

colyboy

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
A minor thread divert if I may. What is the current price of LPG in Spain and or Portugal?

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
He doesnt say if he is filling via the door or taking the bottle out to fill or using an external filler piont ..if he can give us a clue then we may be able to help.
For current LPG prices go here http://geoportalgasolineras.es/#/Inicio under fuel type select,,,Gases licuados del petroleo.

Many thanks.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Put the adapter on bottle, fit the pump nozzle on, press the trigger and lock it with lever, open valve on bottle then press button on pump. If it doesn't work 1st attendant has to reset pump. Afterward turn off bottle and release bottle. Caravan showroom Lorca will do it for you if you are near and a repsol garage between Olivia and Gandia will fill it for you. Good luck

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
cant understand why your having such a problem filling your safefill bottle , I've filled mine twice since arriving in Spain .
Once at a Repsol station and the second time at an independent service station near La manga .
When attaching the gun you only need to push the female gas connection on with only a small amount of effort until you hear the click like sound , then open the valve on the cylinder and squeeze the trigger and press the green button on the pump and after a few seconds you will here the LPG filling the cylinder.

The last Repsol station we went to the guy was adamant that it wasn't allowed. That station was just south of Villa Josa, on the way towards Alicante.

There is one other near hear where we've tried before. I am going to give that another go this afternoon. Fingers crossed.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
He doesnt say if he is filling via the door or taking the bottle out to fill or using an external filler piont ..if he can give us a clue then we may be able to help.
For current LPG prices go here http://geoportalgasolineras.es/#/Inicio under fuel type select,,,Gases licuados del petroleo.

Its a stand alone bottle, hence why there may be issue in getting it done.
Even in the UK many places turn these away but there are the smaller independent places that do fill them.
http://www.safefill.co.uk/

Personally i would just get a second hand Spanish bottle for about €10 off a campsite or Rastro, then go get a swop done on that. Gas bottles are cheap enough in Spain. Use the safefill when you get back to UK.

Reactions: two

Dave Russell

Free Member
Dec 18, 2018
Funster No
MH
American 5th Wheel
Exp
since 2005
So, I finally managed (thanks to all the awesome folk on here) get myself a Spanish adapter for my Safefill gas canister. Alas, my yippees didn't last for long.

So, I drive to a garage with LPG nearby. Fit the adapter. Put the nossle to the adapter, open the tap on the cylinder and nothing happens. Hmmmm.

The attendant in the garage is on his lonesome so he can't come out and his English is about as good as my Spanish.

We decide to go to another garage with LPG. This time not only do we have the same problem, but the guy in the motorhome next to us - a Dutch guy - can't get it to work for him either. We go inside to ask the attendant and he tells us it isn't allowed for security reasons.
, heading towards
Am I doing something wrong or am I just going to the wrong garages (Repsol). Hope someone can help as it is freezing over here at night.

Just to let you know I have found a couple of fuel stations in Spain that will let you refill your gas bottles. It seems that as long as they are not Repsol stations you will be allowed to refill no problem.
So far I have found a station outside Benicassim on the outskirts of Castellon de la Plana and another on the outskirts of Aguilas, Murcia (Anibal Service Station).
I hope this will assist anyone travelling in these areas.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Stand alone bottles, not fixed into the van, have caused some people problems since a Total (I think it was) garage in the south of France had a fire a few years ago. Since then, some garages seem to have been told not to fill them. If it is possible to fit the bottles into the gas locker with an external filler, you should not have any future problems.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
SafeFill bottles cannot be fitted to an external filler. They are not designed to be used that way. Insertion of a pigtail releases a non-return valve to let gas out.
Maybe the OP forgot to open the valve?

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
SafeFill bottles cannot be fitted to an external filler. They are not designed to be used that way. Insertion of a pigtail releases a non-return valve to let gas out.
Maybe the OP forgot to open the valve?
Bottles from Safefill Germany can now be connected to an external filler with this kit https://www.safefill-deutschland.de/epages/82696817.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/82696817/Categories/Zubehör but not a cheap option at €115.50 & it is a new Safefill add on:

fuellschlauch_ml.png

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I was unaware of the attachment above but think it's pretty pointless anyway. You would need to disconnect the pigtail from the regulator and connect the flying lead from the external filler before filling up. Then perform the reverse procedure before you can get any gas from it. The only reason to do that would be to avoid the need to fill from within the locker. (The hose looks rather short, too.)

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
The last Repsol station we went to the guy was adamant that it wasn't allowed. That station was just south of Villa Josa, on the way towards Alicante.

There is one other near hear where we've tried before. I am going to give that another go this afternoon. Fingers crossed.
I filled a friends Calor bottle in a Repsol garage in Torevieja, the guy came out and had a quick look,didn’t seem bothered.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back