Where can I hire and try a PVC motorhome? (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Aiming to try out before we buy, can anyone recommend a reputable company where we can hire a panel Van conversion motorhome?. We'd like to get a smaller vehicle and need to see we can good with smaller space. (Would be changing from a 24 foot Hymer)
We live in Norwich so preferably not too far away but we would travel if we had to.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
There are a few different layouts for panel vans but not all would suit,,,We love ours with a front lounge and rear kitchen and shower and loo but looking in showrooms it is not a popular layout..Seem to be more fixed beds than anything else,,,Everyone wants different things from a van so sit and spend some time in as many as you can,,BUSBY.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks. We know we want a fixed transverse bed but just want to see if we can live in a smaller space.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks. We know we want a fixed transverse bed but just want to see if we can live in a smaller space.

Trouble with a fixed bed is that usually you get a tiny kitchen and lounge,,,,,but every van is a compromise,,,We have a great roomy lounge and excellent kitchen but have to make the beds up. Mind you that takes all of two minutes at night and probably four mins in a morning,,Good luck in your search,,we just love the smaller van,,BUSBY,,

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Wildax Elland
Thanks.
They are hire before you buy one of theirs. We're not in the market for a new one.
Does anyone know of a good one that is a regular hire place?

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
There are a few different layouts for panel vans but not all would suit,,,We love ours with a front lounge and rear kitchen and shower and loo but looking in showrooms it is not a popular layout..Seem to be more fixed beds than anything else,,,Everyone wants different things from a van so sit and spend some time in as many as you can,,BUSBY.
WildAx Constellation for you then!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks.
They are hire before you buy one of theirs. We're not in the market for a new one.
Does anyone know of a good one that is a regular hire place?
You don't have to buy a new one - just hire one and see if you like it! WildAx Aurora Leisure would suit you if you like a fixed tranverse bed. You can also hire from Wiltshire Motorhomes in Devizes, perhaps nearer to you than Elland.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
As has been said before - Wildax & Northern MH Hire
http://www.northernmotorhomehire.co.uk/our-motorhomes

They have several different layouts available but I guess you'd be looking to try the Aurora Leisure they have... it's a rear lounge converting into a transverse bed.
Wildax do a Fixed Bed Aurora with massive storage underneath, which is what I have - but it does make the van seem quite small [which is fine for me & the dog].
Both versions also come as XL versions on a 6.36m base.

Obviously a Wildax PVC may not be on your shortlist but hiring one would let you see if a PVC size was acceptable, and what your priorities on layout, equipment etc were essential to you and what you could compromise on.

I've had my Wildax Aurora for just 8 weeks now, I have done over 2000 miles already and I love it. The compromises of size for driving vs space inside works for me... the cab lounge at the front, fixed bed at the back separated by a perfectly usable wet room & kitchen.

Good luck & please excuse me, I'm off to Wales this morning, adding perhaps another 500 miles to the odometer this weekend :D2.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks. Capricorn campers looks the place. Their Planet van looks the ticket. The bottom two points are the reason we want to downsize from our Hymer.
Screenshot_20170728-100522.png

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
On these smaller motorhomes with bed (fixed or otherwise) at the back- would there be enough space in the front skinny corridor to squeeze a skinny teenager on a bedroll?

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
On these smaller motorhomes with bed (fixed or otherwise) at the back- would there be enough space in the front skinny corridor to squeeze a skinny teenager on a bedroll?
The Globecar range includes several with rear transverse beds & there is an option of a third bed that makes up from the dinette table plus an infill.

Like any transverse bed in a PVC, ok if under 6ft tall. Better still if under 5' 10". They don't have to be skinny, just short! :D2

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Yes we are both 5'9" or under so that should be ok.
I was thinking of a temporary visitor lying longways in the van on the floor. We would be on the fixed bed!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
In the Aurora yes! The front lounge area makes into a bed. Other WildAx benefits are the LPG tank so no gas cylinders to manhandle in and out, and big fridge. Standard length 5.99m, 3.5t weight etc. We love our WildAxes!!

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Our rear lounge PVC has only 40 cm wide gangway between washroom and kitchen areas. I think it would be tight and you would not be able to use toilet whilst said teenager blocking the door.
I have seen a system for making up a temporary bed across the two front seats so I would think solutions could be found if necessary. Presumably you would need to have a third travelling seat like as shown on the ones in the link. Maybe you could rig up a way of extending the dinette seat into the sliding doorway.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Yes we are both 5'9" or under so that should be ok.
I was thinking of a temporary visitor lying longways in the van on the floor. We would be on the fixed bed!
the van in our avatar was a transverse bed and not the longest model and we could get a full sized metal framed camp bed in the center aisle for our grand son you couldnt move around much with it down but do-able occasionally the transvers bed in ours was 6ft some of the pro conveted ones are a little longer as they go into the side of the van so should be fine
our only problem was lack of lounging space other than the bed ok abroad but not so good in uk as you live in rather than out .It suited our usage when we first converted but lack of space to entertain made us trade up to a larger van

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The Globecar range includes several with rear transverse beds & there is an option of a third bed that makes up from the dinette table plus an infill.

Like any transverse bed in a PVC, ok if under 6ft tall. Better still if under 5' 10". They don't have to be skinny, just short! :D2

Southwest Motorhomes hire globecars out

El-Nido

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
We hired a few vans before we decided on a type and layout, finally deciding on a PVC with a fixed rear transverse bed. We bought a base van and had a company professionally convert it. We're really happy with the van, especially as we had a full say in the design and layout. In particular, blocking off the rear doors by the bed has been great, giving us loads of additional storage. Just another option you may wish to consider. Take a look at the video on page linked here to give an idea of what can be done in a 6m panel van: http://www.vanvoyage.co.uk/p/el-nido-our-campervan.html

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
We hired a few vans before we decided on a type and layout, finally deciding on a PVC with a fixed rear transverse bed. We bought a base van and had a company professionally convert it. We're really happy with the van, especially as we had a full say in the design and layout. In particular, blocking off the rear doors by the bed has been great, giving us loads of additional storage. Just another option you may wish to consider. Take a look at the video on page linked here to give an idea of what can be done in a 6m panel van: http://www.vanvoyage.co.uk/p/el-nido-our-campervan.html

Hi, seems a nice conversion.

I have looked on your website too.

What did you use for the insulation in the van, are both fresh and waste inside.

What you go for the heating system.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Teenager sleeping in corridor, pah - sling him/her outside in a cheapie 'festival' tent...
Do 'em no end of good to toughen up :rofl:.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back