where can i get a aframe re fitted i live in norfolk (1 Viewer)

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Try Full Circle at Heath Road, Banham, Attenborough NR16 2HS. 01953 887951. They fitted air assist suspension to our MH, it looked like they do all types of work related to Motorhomes.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
UK towbars in March did my air suspension and obviously do towbars so they may be able to help. Really good bunch of guys.

They can come to you too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Are you changing Toad like for like or changing the towed vehicle completely.
A frame fitters will fit a new vehicle connection bar to suit your A frame, but probably wont try and adapt an existing one
from one vehicle to another.
You might explain better what you want to do and what parts you need along with other relevant information
ie over run brakes or electrical brakes etc.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Are you changing Toad like for like or changing the towed vehicle completely.
A frame fitters will fit a new vehicle connection bar to suit your A frame, but probably wont try and adapt an existing one
from one vehicle to another.
You might explain better what you want to do and what parts you need along with other relevant information
ie over run brakes or electrical brakes etc.

Sorry to thread hijack a little. I would be interested more in the technical details of how towing cars work. So from what you say they can be linked to brakes too? I assumed as a fixed bar it would just be braked by the work of the Van.

What about steering? Do you just leave the steering unlocked and the wheels follow the van?

My concern with doing this over a trailer is that you are still racking up miles on the speedo ( I assume the ignition will be on) and also wear on suspension/tyres/bearings etc. Could be quite a deal over a long Europe trip.

I suppose you could use a front wheel only trailer but that still puts wear on the rear wheels etc.

Be interested to understand this more and hear peoples views. I just have a scooter in the boot!

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Sorry to thread hijack a little. I would be interested more in the technical details of how towing cars work. So from what you say they can be linked to brakes too? I assumed as a fixed bar it would just be braked by the work of the Van.

What about steering? Do you just leave the steering unlocked and the wheels follow the van?

My concern with doing this over a trailer is that you are still racking up miles on the speedo ( I assume the ignition will be on) and also wear on suspension/tyres/bearings etc. Could be quite a deal over a long Europe trip.

I suppose you could use a front wheel only trailer but that still puts wear on the rear wheels etc.

Be interested to understand this more and hear peoples views. I just have a scooter in the boot!
Leave steering unlocked on accessories position, not ignition.
Brakes are either over-run type or electronic.
Lights are controlled by the towing vehicle.
Ignition not on so not adding to the miles.

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Brakes MUST work when being towed, manual overrun like a caravan or electrically operated
Steering takes care of its self due to steering geometry
No Ign reqd just accessory position to unlock steering lock
Dolly type for recovery use only with serious speed restriction applying also
I have A framed all sorts of vehicles over many years, and before retirement made and fitted many to all my vehicles
These days i use an electricly braked version as the are much lighter to use and it came already fitted to my tow car it is also by far the cheapest way to start A framing. ie buy a car with the kit alraedy fitted.

Upvote 0

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi VXman

We used to have a Toad and travelled for many easy miles with it, including many years ago to Spain and back.

If you think about the tow hitch on a caravan when the car brakes the caravans tow hitch compresses and the cable connection from the caravans tow hitch to the caravans brakes applies or releases the brakes. The brakes system for our Toad had a cable from the brake pedal in the Toad that was fed through to the Toads hitch so that when we braked the MH the cars brake pedal was pulled on because the compression of the Toads hitch acted just like a caravans one. There are also systems now that Electronically apply the Toads brakes based on the use of the brakes on the MH and I have no experience of those.

Regarding the cars ignition we had a Toyota Aygo Auto, be aware some Autos are not suitable as Toads, and we obtained a dummy unprogrammed key as a result we could insert the key and turn it 1 notch to release the steering lock and leave the key in whilst towing as it could not be used to fire the vehicle up. Doing this means the Toad then simply follows the MH, and on the Aygo the speedo does not register the miles, however reversing with the Toad is not a simple matter like with a Caravan to the extent that decoupling the setup is easier by far. Over all the years we never had an issue re reversing.

Regarding tyre wear bear in mind if you leave tyres on a car where originally fitted the rear ones will last a lot longer than the front tyres unless the car is rear wheel drive. When in Toad mode all the wheels are purely following and not being used to drive the car and the strain on the front tyres with cornering etc is less and so tyre wear is not something that should be an issue. Also how many times have you looked at trailers tyres and thought they have got lots of tread but must be years old. I am sure there is some effect on the Toads suspension etc but far less than when being driven normally.

To be honest I was glad I had a rear view camera on the MH to enable me to check the Toad was still there. 😂😂 Looking in the rear view mirror you may only see it when not driving straight or I could see the shadow of the toad when the sun was shining.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back