Where am I & do you remember these (1 Viewer)

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Are you old enough to remember these roadside boxes:whatthe::Confused:
There canot be many of these left so if you have seen one where was it?:Confused:

Keith

Attachments

• AA box.jpg
    AA box.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 169

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
The last one I saw was at the Museum near lake Coniston where Donald Campbell's Bluebird was.It was near the Entrance.Also outside the AA's HQ at Fanum House In Guildford, but that was some years ago now.

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
The last one I saw was at the Museum near lake Coniston where Donald Campbell's Bluebird was.It was near the Entrance.Also outside the AA's HQ at Fanum House In Guildford, but that was some years ago now.

No, further North, remember I live North of the border. :winky:

Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If its the Tardis I last saw it up north, when the Dialeks invaded Whitley Bay
Geo

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
If its the Tardis I last saw it up north, when the Dialeks invaded Whitley Bay
Geo

I obviously made it too difficult, but I was amazed to see the box at the side of a road, I thought they had all been removed.:Smile:

Attached is a photo showing the name and a car park by the loch. This is a great spot in the Scottish Borders between Moffat & Selkirk on the A708 at St Marys Lock. Not a good road from Moffat for an RV, vary narrow in places, but European vans should be OK with care.:whatthe:

Keith

Attachments

• Box top.jpg
    Box top.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 120
  • St Marys L.jpg
    St Marys L.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 119

scotchjock

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Lunan Bay
Funster No
MH
C class
There are a few of these boxes in Scotland. One, near me between the Cairn O' Mount and Banchory, was demolished by a vehicle. It was replaced/rebuilt, so I would assume the remaing ones are 'listed' type buildings, here for all time.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
AA Phone Boxes.

The AA issued keys to all it's members so if they broke down they could call for assistance.

A kind of AA Mobile Phone:ROFLMAO:

V

vanessa

Deleted User
They DO go back a bit!! As you say, not many left now.

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Saw another in Cumbria recently, I think it was on the road from Ambleside to Keswick .

The one above had what appeared to be a new Chubb keyhole, but who uses them? I would have thought with mobile phones they wouldn't get much use & clearly no keys are supplied now.

The RAC also had them in the old days, & if I remember rightly you could open either boxes with the supplied key.

Keith

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
They are from a more sedate and civilized time in our history Debs :roflmto: When the AA & RAC patrols used to drive around on a motorbike and sidecar and used to salute you if they saw your membership badge, how's that for customer service? :roflmto:
The call boxes were like the motorway telephones that are at the side of our M roads nowadays, but at least you could shelter from the elements in them.....

Keith

The Poor Relations

Free Member
Sep 16, 2007
Sutton, Ely
Funster No
MH
Folding Camper
Exp
3 weeks
aha

you see those days were so different, when you could walk into a shop and actually get customer service, don't think anyone knows the meaning of the word nowadays

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
They are from a more sedate and civilized time in our history Debs :roflmto: When the AA & RAC patrols used to drive around on a motorbike and sidecar and used to salute you if they saw your membership badge, how's that for customer service? :roflmto:
The call boxes were like the motorway telephones that are at the side of our M roads nowadays, but at least you could shelter from the elements in them.....

Keith

Ahh yes, I'm showing my age too :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:..and the patrol man wore ex WD Spitfire pilot's goggles and a silk scarf :thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Spot on Keith. I had forgoten about the patrols. As kids we used to enjoy waving at the uniformed partolmen.
Eventually they stopped them waving, said it was too dangerous for the motorist to take his hands off the wheel - nothing changes does it but now it's smoking & mobile phones. :roflmto:

Keith

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
AA Boxes

Oh Dear!!

I still have a key (AA)!!. The patrols saluted when they saw a badge UNLESS they had just passed a Police patrol when they DIDN`T. (so my grandad told me!!)

There was one near Lisset on the A165 (Hull to Bridlington) untill the 70`s when it was (allegedly) "nicked" one weekend!!. was it the lead roof I ask?

Pete

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Our local AA patrolman used to bring the butcher meat from Biggar once a week, and drop it off on his way past. It certainly remained chilled on the Motorbike and sidecar. Think he retired when they started issuing Mini vans.

David

Rainbowchaser

Free Member
Feb 27, 2010
Third rock from the sun
Funster No
MH
Err..A blue one
Exp
Hmnn...Quite a long time really...
Halogen days of motoring

Just stumbled across this old thread…

I was an AA patrol for several years based at Fanum House in Guildford. There was an AA phone box on the forecourt and one of my duties was to ensure it was always cleaned, leaflets topped up and the flowers tended.
Once a year I was detailed to repaint all the boxes on my beat. Not an easy task as invariably one would get a 'shout' whilst painting. The roof inside was particularly difficult as it was constructed rather like an elaborate, cathedral ceiling.
Yes, all members were issued with a key, which also fitted the RAC boxes in a reciprocal arrangement, even though competition for membership was fierce and the RAC was always viewed as the snobs motoring organisation!
When not repairing a member's vehicle, I would stand by my AA boxes and salute passing members and try to extract the two guineas membership fee from prospective members.

(£2 and 2 shillings for those not of a certain age!)
I would never know what to expect when I arrived to maintain the AA box every morning. I've found lost property, sandwiches, wallets, keys and the occasional evidence of intimate encounters within. Having no windows made the box an ideal all-weather, discreet courting venue! Naturally, I always knocked on the door, just in case it was occupied and being used for other than motoring matters.
Apart from the occasional misuse of the boxes, in my time with the Association I can't recall any vandalism to either the telephone box, the contents or the well tended flower beds outside. To the motorist, these boxes were an oasis on the highway and are sadly missed..
(Apart from the painting :winky:)

The golden age of motoring….. (Sigh)
Wonder if there are any other ex-patrols out there?
T

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I know of one near Beadell in Northumberland and one on the road to Hawes in North Yorkshire. I don't think either is in use for calling the AA for assistance though ::bigsmile:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Pete is right about the issue of saluting and police. Only at that time, the patrols used push-bikes I believe.

It was in the early 1900s when the first speed limits were introduced and enforcement was carried out by the Police using a stopwatch and two bobbies, one at either end of a measured distance.
As AA Members were getting caught in these 'new-fangled' traps, the AA came up with the bright idea that a 'Scout' would always salute a member unless there was something wrong, in which case, the Member should stop and ask the Scout why he had not saluted. It would have been an offence for the Scout to flag down a Member and warn them they were in, or near a trap, since that would have been liable to a charge of obstructing the Police during the execution of their duties. However, if a Member stopped a Scout and asked why he hadn't saluted them, the Scout would apologise profusely, then say, amongst general chit-chat, "a good job you stopped me sir* because I think you might like to drive a little more slowly over the next couple of miles".

(* apologies to all of 'Fun's lady motorhome drivers, but at that time, Mr Cholmondely-Warner was firmly in control of the wheel.)

And before anyone asks - no I do not remember it well; my father had a book of reminiscences by Sir Stenson Cooke, the first Secretary of the Automobile Association. It was called "This Motoring" and was published in 1931.

Philip

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Yes I do remember them used to ride a motorcycle then and was with the RAC I remember joining and an RAC man complete with motorcycle and sidecar arrived at my home one Sunday morning complete with all paperwork, key and badge to welcome me into the club.

As said that was when service really meant something.

Dave :thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I recall that ALL the remaining boxes are now grade one listed buildings.
I remember the AA also experimented with Relaint Regal three wheelers in the transition from motorbike to van. I still have my fathers old badge and key.:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Do you remember that great sketch, I think Bernard Cribbins was in it. Two oncoming vehicles in a narrow country lane, each refusing to give way and back up. One was in a Rolls or a Jag and was in the RAC the other in a regular motor (morris minor?) and in the AA. The AA and the RAC patrolmen arrive and support their members with hilarious results. Classic comedy. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back