LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Jan 31st at 9 months old, my van was in at a Peugeot dealer for another matter and they advised me that the adblue needed topping up. The dash warning had not illuminated at that point, but as I was close to 5000 miles I instructed them to top it up and was charged for 7 litres.

I was surprised that they only managed to get 7 litres in as I thought the adblue tank has a 15 litre capacity.

Fast forward to this trip, 3.5 months later with a total of 8000 miles on the clock and my adblue dash warning is on ?

Very basic maths, if the tank is 15 litres, I’d used less than half of it in the first 5000 miles (assuming it was full from new), so should have been on course for nearer 10000 miles.

I’m also assuming my dealer will have filled it to capacity, to extract the most money out of me, as he sells it for more than he buys it, so why has it used nearly 15 litres in 3000 miles ?

A) A leak ?

B) A faulty warning light ??

C) Dealer charged me but didnt add any ???

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Surely the tank will not be empty now? So you wouldn't have used 15 Lts I thought the warning light gave a few thousand miles warning anyway?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Maybe when they topped it up they didn't reset the counter? Or doesn't it have one.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
There is another option that the warning based on estimated consumption rather than a level but i suppose if that was the case the dealer would have had to do a reset when he filled it .. if he didnt need to because the light wasnt on that might explain why its come on now..

Bit like the oil changes on the transit... i get a spanner up but know ive done a service a little while ago..... its just estimating one is due because i didnt do a reset at the time of the change..
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Had a similar issue with my new Citroen... warning light came on a lot earlier than expected, but then confusion as I could only get about 7 litres into a 15 litre tank, and then warning light came back on in less than 100 miles...

Took it to Citroen, who plugged it in, reset the sensor, said there was no problem...
On drive home [10 miles] warning light came on, yes there is a problem.
Back to Citroen, they diagnose & fix problem with the wiring loom... due to poor routing there had been some melting [on the manifold??] and some short circuiting had occurred.
Repaired under warranty [best part of two days], no further problems since then, touch wood.

I believe the initial warning - you have a range of 1000+ miles
Then a more insistent warning allows 500 miles.
And then it won't start once switched off.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I'm liking the reset option, because if it turns out that C is correct, there will be bother :LOL:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Have you got anything you could stick in the tank to get a level...:whistle:
Its supposed to be harmless to skin :LOL:
Andy

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Have you got anything you could stick in the tank to get a level...:whistle:
Its supposed to be harmless to skin :LOL:
Andy
Be careful what you stick in the tank, I believe contaminated adblue can cause expensive problems. Surprised to learn that there is no gauge, my Mercedes Hymer has one though it does involve a bit of scrolling through the display options.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Either it needs topping up, or it doesn't. Get some Adblue, top up the tank, and see how much was needed to fill it.

If a lot, you have an adblue system problem; if a little, you have a dealer problem.

Or am I missing something?

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Either it needs topping up, or it doesn't. Get some Adblue, top up the tank, and see how much was needed to fill it.

If a lot, you have an adblue system problem; if a little, you have a dealer problem.

Or am I missing something?

I think you might be missing something ?

If it takes a lot to fill it, it could be a system problem, or it could mean the dealer charged me, but put none in !

If it only takes a little, the light shouldnt be on, so likely a system problem, or requiring a reset, if there is one ?

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Don`t want to go of track... but....

What happens if the warning light comes on and you are low on Adblue and you carry on driving..?????

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Don`t want to go of track... but....

What happens if the warning light comes on and you are low on Adblue and you carry on driving..?????
For around 1000 miles, nothing, but I think after 1500 miles, the engine won't start .

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think the system is designed to allow you to keep driving because a sudden shutdown could be dangerous. However, when you stop it will not restart. I carry a can of adblue with me just in case.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
44060DCB-F09B-4368-A26E-1822A60CE36B.jpeg I find it hard to believe that some manufacturers haven’t incuded an adblue level gauge.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The tank has a sensor and it has loads in there even when the level light comes on, also when filling it you never know exactly how much is in there as you cannot see its level the flexible pipes stop at on point which is about three inches down, either that or or pours our over the top. Mine is horrible asit is tucked in the gap under the cown and the garage fillers do not get to it neither has it got a magnet to open the valve in the forecourt system.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Renault Master base and the AdBlue is on the drivers door locked/protected by a flap secured by the door as many vans do with fuel on the passenger side. The tank holds 20l and the warning light comes on at half full which allows a 10l container to be used. The AB indicator has replaced what was presumably the temperature gauge so very straightforward to manage. There is something about putting the fuel in with the engine running as it will take some time to register but apart from that very straightforward.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
or it could mean the dealer charged me, but put none in !
Yes that could have happened, but unless you're very persuasive that opportunity has passed. Mind you, I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to complaining.

My point was, if you have no gauge, the only way to monitor consumption is to log how much it takes to refill, and the mileage at each refill.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I find it hard to believe some manufacturers can build an engine which is Euro 6 rated without ad blue... And others can't.
Is it a cost thing or do they only have apprentices in their research and design departments
My understanding is that Euro 6 has more than one phase of introduction and that some manufacturers who avoided adblue for the first phase are having to reconsider for subsequent phases. Also the alternatives such as Fiat’s recirculating exhaust gas system seem to have problems. We know other systems are being worked on but the ones I have read about all involved exhaust additives. I haven’t had any adblue problems in nearly 3 years and it seems a small price to pay to avoid poisoning my grandchildren.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well, you may be right... I don't know.
What I do know is at some point in the near future it will be found that ad blue isn't the all hallowed saviour it's meant to be..... It will release some sort of pollutant in its own right... .They just haven't found it yet.
There's only one way to stop pollution.... Stop the cause and ban All fossil fuels

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
My understanding is with the Peugeot you have 1000 miles first warning and 500 second. No gauge, but why would you if yo7 have that much warning.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think of warning lights as a back stop. I check my adblue gauge from time to time and sometime after it has dropped below half I pour in 10 litres, at a time that suits me. I would also know if the fluid level was dropping unusually quickly or if a dealer was taking the piss rather than putting it in my tank.

Perhaps the question should be where “where’s my adblue gauge gone?” When I am next looking at purchasing a vehicle with adblue I will certainly be checking that it has a gauge. It may not be essential but it certainly provides peace of mind.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
My understanding is that Euro 6 has more than one phase of introduction and that some manufacturers who avoided adblue for the first phase are having to reconsider for subsequent phases. Also the alternatives such as Fiat’s recirculating exhaust gas system seem to have problems. We know other systems are being worked on but the ones I have read about all involved exhaust additives. I haven’t had any adblue problems in nearly 3 years and it seems a small price to pay to avoid poisoning my grandchildren.
Hope I can shed light
Straight answer is - It depends
Its a mass and power thing
In relation to trucks, to meet ever harder EU Emissions levels, there were 2 routes available to manufacturers
EGR- Exhaust Gas Recirculation, where the exhaust gases are re-circulated back into the engine and burnt again. Some side effect are higher engine temperatures and premature wear/failing

SCR- Selective Catalytic Reduction- where a catalytic agent (Ad Blue) is injected into the exhaust gases prior to expulsion- Side affects are complicated and unreliable ad blue systems

On trucks you could meet Euro 4 ( intro 2006 for HGV) solely by one or other system. Euro 5 was harder for both and Euro 6 was only reachable by a combination of both

Move forward to Vans and , for example only, Euro 6 could be met by Ford Connects by EGR yet Transits need ad blu at the heavier weight.

FIAT have managed using only EGR but they know that going forward they will need Ad Blu to meet future tougher legislations
PEUGEOT either couldn't meet E6 without SCR or have decided that as its coming down the line anyway, so they will adopt now
Both systems have their ups and down sides, but Ad Blu is safer to the motor, but far more complicated and prone to glitches- ergo failures

Interestingly, if you buy ad blu for trucks in 1000 litre quantities- its 30p a litre - ish

In this case I would brim fill it myself and do 1000 miles and brim fill again- then you know what the vehicle in question is using( or not)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
"EGR works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders. This dilutes the O2 in the incoming air stream and provides gases inert to combustion to act as absorbents of combustion heat to reduce peak in-cylinder temperatures. NOxis produced in a narrow band of high cylinder temperatures and pressures."

That's taken from Wikipedia to save me some typing. The main point is that exhaust gas is inert, doesn't contribute to combustion in any way, and lowers combustion temperatures. Great for reducing NOx but not so great for combustion efficiency. And it eventually clogs the intake manifold and valves with the filth that should have left via the exhaust.

Adblue is added downstream of the engine so has no effect on the engine at all or on its efficiency or longevity. It is used inside a cat to strip NoX from the exhaust gases.

Oct 25, 2015
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4t
Exp
Since 2016
Just thought for the hell of it at 4500 miles I would top mine up and it took about 5-6 litres.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back