When will we be recognised? (1 Viewer)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I was driving back from Taunton on Saturday morning up the M5. There are so many motorhomes, caravans and campers about. Gloucester services has an excellent dedicated parking area for motorhomes and caravans and it was overflowing. But that's a rare example of the recognition that we exist!

When are towns, cities and roadside facilities going to provide decent facilities for our past-time? Better parking? Aires?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I agree that the UK's motorway services provide poor or non-existent dedicated short term parking for the likes of us (and tuggers).

Gloucester Services is an outstanding exception but can still be overwhelmed during the holiday season.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I agree that the UK's motorway services provide poor or non-existent dedicated short term parking for the likes of us (and tuggers).
Maybe they don't see the commercial benefit of providing spaces for folk who may eat and drink aboard and only go into the Services to use the loos.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
When are towns, cities and roadside facilities going to provide decent facilities for our past-time? Better parking? Aires?
When they realise they can cash in and make money from it….

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Maybe they don't see the commercial benefit of providing spaces for folk who may eat and drink aboard and only go into the Services to use the loos.
That's us. Can't get dog into services buildings and won't leave him alone in the van.

Generally if we use Services, stop for a comfort break in the van and off again, 10-15 minutes and gone.
Only usually plan to use Tebay, Michaelwood, Gretna, Strathcathro and Stafford.

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
That's us. Can't get dog into services buildings and won't leave him alone in the van.

Generally if we use Services, stop for a comfort break in the van and off again, 10-15 minutes and gone.
Only usually plan to use Tebay, Michaelwood, Gretna, Strathcathro and Stafford.
When I had a car, I rarely bought anything at services. Pee'n'go.

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
The way I see it, it's the complete opposite. Folk out for the day in their car, park up in town, get out and go eat, drink, spend money in town, whereas folk in self contained units just want somewhere to park, they can make their own lunch and drinks, they don't even need to go buy a coffee so they can use the toilet. I'm not saying that's what everyone does, I'm just making the case for why motorhomers are maybe not seen as a money making opportunity.

OP
OP
Guigsy
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
The way I see it, it's the complete opposite. Folk out for the day in their car, park up in town, get out and go eat, drink, spend money in town, whereas folk in self contained units just want somewhere to park, they can make their own lunch and drinks, they don't even need to go buy a coffee so they can use the toilet. I'm not saying that's what everyone does, I'm just making the case for why motorhomers are maybe not seen as a money making opportunity.
Then why have we driven into a town? We're there to visit and spend some money.

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Then why have we driven into a town? We're there to visit and spend some money.
Yes, you may well be, as I said I'm not saying everyone is the same, but others will also just want to park up, enjoy the town but use their own fridge, kitchen, loo, etc .

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
They can get 2 cars into the space taken by a camper.

Double the revenue for the shops.

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Trouble is, anyone reading threads on MHF may well come to the conclusion that motorhomers are a tight fisted lot who begrudge anyone making a business profit from running a campsite, will drive miles to save a penny off fuel, brag about how little they've spent on their travels around Europe, resent motorhome dealers for making money, and that's just a few of the common themes :LOL:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I'm on a couple of motorbike forums which are similar to here. I mean a minority of passionate folk.

Lots of these folk think that they are special and the world owes them something.

Nothing personal.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Speak for yourself!

Several times we have had a meal in the restaurant at Gloucester Services, at an outdoor table overlooking the pond if the weather is good.

We also buy groceries in the farm shop, so all in all they wipe the floor with Michaelwood Services, in our opinion.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Speak for yourself!

Several times we have had a meal in the restaurant at Gloucester Services, at an outdoor table overlooking the pond if the weather is good.

We also buy groceries in the farm shop, so all in all they wipe the floor with Michaelwood Services, in our opinion.
I haven't used motorways for going any distance since 1983 in my company car when I got food poisoning at Leigh Delamare Services on the M4 whilst en route to see a customer at Bridgend. Believe me, I remember it only too vividly. That wasn't the main reason but I'm never in a rush to get anywhere and I don't like the tiresome road noise, the densely packed lanes, the arrogant rushing and barging by important drivers and risk of long tailbacks.
Since retiring 22 years ago and until the past 12 months I have toured only abroad whether by car, m/home or m/bike when I just drive 16 miles to the Newhaven ferry then take the roads less trod. :giggle:

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I was driving back from Taunton on Saturday morning up the M5. There are so many motorhomes, caravans and campers about. Gloucester services has an excellent dedicated parking area for motorhomes and caravans and it was overflowing. But that's a rare example of the recognition that we exist!

Gloucester as well as Tebay on the M6 owned by the same family let you stop for 3 hours free unlike all the other Services who restrict to 2 hours 👍🏻👍🏻

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back