Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Baby, dog, what the hell. The only word that means anything here is 'tragedy'. :(

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Well, I have met some people who I would 'put down' before I would ever think of doing the same to say a dog.
I once met a guy who had blown up and killed a woman and three kids. I would gladly have killed him. :) And as for eating someone, well, a nice juicy human arm, cooked in an oven, and served with a tasty gravy, spuds and a few peas, would suit me better then say a cats leg. (y)(y)

I have never tried roast human arm (don't think I want to unless really desperate!!)

However having tasted both cat and dog I have to say I prefer dog - but perhaps the cooking had a lot to do with it .

I had half a cat (minus the head, tail & fur) wok fried on a stick in the ancient Chinese market in the new Territories in Hong Kong in 1961 - not wildly pleasing!!

I had a sort of dog "stew" in Kunming China in 1993 and similar in Seoul S Korea in 1999 both much tastier than the cat but also served with lots of other tasty goodies as opposed to a fairly unappetising fried cat on a stick!!

Needless to say copious quantities of alcohol were involved on all occasions!! o_O

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The only tragedy you referred to directly or otherwise was the death of the dog.
Thus"the tragedy" refers to the death of the dog alone.
I have no doubt you didn't put the life of the dog as the sole downside, it's just that it read that way.
Proof read before posting?

A child's killing is a tragedy, a dog being put down as a consequence of the child's death isn't.
I read it as intended. It was clearly punctuated and the meaning was clear. "tragedy" referred to the death of the child.

However, although in no way at all comparable, the death of an innocent animal as a result of human failure is still worthy of note.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Just to put things in context:

Number of deaths of children caused by road accidents in 12 months - more than 2000
Number of deaths of children caused by dogs during the past 10 years - 13

Recent figures.

When will this end?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That's OK then, only 13.
No of course it isn't. The death of one child isn't OK. But if a dog is involved (not any other animal - just a dog) there are calls for ownership restrictions, compulsory registration, and much hand-wringing. The animal involved is destroyed to transfer the blame and ease consciences. We don't even crush killer cars.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
T
No of course it isn't. The death of one child isn't OK. But if a dog is involved (not any other animal - just a dog) there are calls for ownership restrictions, compulsory registration, and much hand-wringing. The animal involved is destroyed to transfer the blame and ease consciences. We don't even crush killer cars.

The dog was destroyed because it killed a child.
The dog killed the child as a direct result of it's owners criminal stupidity and the child's parents neglect and abuse.

I suspect the owner will still be allowed to keep another dog and the parents still allowed to produce more children - that's what's wrong.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Stop stupid people owning dogs.. or having kids.

My social circle has shrunk over the years as friends have bought dogs, one ' we are off because we have to get back for the dog' is enough for me to not bother again.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Stop stupid people owning dogs.. or having kids.

My social circle has shrunk over the years as friends have bought dogs, one ' we are off because we have to get back for the dog' is enough for me to not bother again.
Thats a really strange way to look at it, for a couple of reasons.
1. Your 'friendships' seem a trifle shallow? Maybe you mean 'acquaintances'? o_O Real friends would understand?
2. How would you feel if your 'friends' said "Sorry, got to go, Fred gets very tired now with his condition, and it is quite a drive back"?

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Thats a really strange way to look at it, for a couple of reasons.
1. Your 'friendships' seem a trifle shallow? Maybe you mean 'acquaintances'? o_O Real friends would understand?
2. How would you feel if your 'friends' said "Sorry, got to go, Fred gets very tired now with his condition, and it is quite a drive back"?

Reals friends would organise something so that they didnt have to bail 2 hours into a night out , because Fido doesnt like being alone.

My best friend had a big Doberman, we had kids, he didnt , we stopped visiting because the thing was nuts , barked like hell all the time and it wasnt worth the effort, plus , its a Doberman and i didnt want it round my kids, which was a shame because they were good friends, but it wasnt worth it, when we went out as a group , they always bailed first , to the point where we would take bets on what time... sad i know.

Essentially they killed a great social life for a dog, their choice, and they arent the only ones either, sister in law is the same , although thats no loss at all because i loathe the woman.

Illness isn't a life choice, its something you are afflicted with and nobody would ever criticise anyone for that .

I also have very few friends who like football.. for similar reasons

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Essentially they killed a great social life for a dog, their choice
Of coarse it was, because the dog was their 'child', as your children were yours. You wouldn't hesitate to 'bail out' if you thought your kids were lonely, or needed attention, and true friends would realise that.
However, I can see your very valid point about the dog barking, and that you didnt want a dog you regarded as 'nuts' around your kids. (y)
sister in law is the same , although thats no loss at all because i loathe the woman.
Fair point. (y) Just glad I dont live in leicester! :)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@PhilG

You are Mark Twain & I claim my five pounds...

the-more-i-learn-about-people-mark-twain.jpg

:LOL:

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Im a hoot at parties , honest... .

The top and bottom of this is that certain elements of society attract a certain type of dog .. for whatever reason, whether it be some fashionista with a Pomeranian, that they carry everywhere, or your typical Staffy owner that, well you know. In between that are all sorts of combinations, some of which work, and some that dont, and along the way some kids end up being left in harms way and become a victim of carelessness, and end up scarred for life, or worse.

At some point someone made a decision that set this off, usually a not to well thought out one, and this is what we need to look at, sure , there are things that are more likely to result in injury, but big dogs and small kids is an accident waiting to happen.

At the last stopover we had in Germany , the guy next to us had a Black Labrador, tied to the towbar of his Pick-Up,was a lovely dog, but it spent all but an hour a day tied up. The guy the other side had 2 cats that he walked on leads , and spent the days in or just outside their camper, both situations were bizarre.

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Well, I have met some people who I would 'put down' before I would ever think of doing the same to say a dog.
I once met a guy who had blown up and killed a woman and three kids. I would gladly have killed him. :) And as for eating someone, well, a nice juicy human arm, cooked in an oven, and served with a tasty gravy, spuds and a few peas, would suit me better then say a cats leg. (y)(y)
Of coarse it was, because the dog was their 'child', as your children were yours. You wouldn't hesitate to 'bail out' if you thought your kids were lonely, or needed attention, and true friends would realise that.
However, I can see your very valid point about the dog barking, and that you didnt want a dog you regarded as 'nuts' around your kids. (y)

Fair point. (y) Just glad I dont live in leicester! :)
Havta say Tootles that U talk muchesslottass sense,,, animals don't possess the cerebral capability to fore think, or post think, their behaviour or deeds, its ALWAYS the adults responsibility. Unfortunately, being adult doesn't always equal being responsible.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
The children were introduced into the home of an aunt, a serving police officer, and thus into the territory of the dog who was No2 in the pecking order of the house before the kids arrived but suddenly he gets demoted and doesn't like it - that's the animal kingdom!

Guaranteed accident waiting to happen. Is it any wonder people make fun of those from Essex, like Irish jokes, if they can be this stupid and I say that coming from Essex myself originally.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Im a hoot at parties , honest... .

The top and bottom of this is that certain elements of society attract a certain type of dog .. for whatever reason, whether it be some fashionista with a Pomeranian, that they carry everywhere, or your typical Staffy owner that, well you know. In between that are all sorts of combinations, some of which work, and some that dont, and along the way some kids end up being left in harms way and become a victim of carelessness, and end up scarred for life, or worse.

I can assure you I am not a typical Staffy owner. :Eeek:I am not a young lout, do not have a shaven head, tattoos, chains, denim jackets and looking for bovver. I am nearer 70 than 60, wear woolly cardigans, can read and write, don't smoke weed or drink Special Brew in the park.
I love the affection my dog gives me and all the exercise I gain. It is said dog owners on average live 8 years longer than those that don't.
:party:
ps I also clear up his poo........

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
I can assure you I am not a typical Staffy owner. :Eeek:I am not a young lout, do not have a shaven head, tattoos, chains, denim jackets and looking for bovver. I am nearer 70 than 60, wear woolly cardigans, can read and write, don't smoke weed or drink Special Brew in the park.
I love the affection my dog gives me and all the exercise I gain. It is said dog owners on average live 8 years longer than those that don't.
:party:
ps I also clear up his poo........

But you managed to describe one, almost perfectly.

you are obviously at the point where you you have time to invest , guy over the road has 2 German Shepherds that are home alone all day. Lovely animals , but bark at the slightest thing,which where they live , is anyone that drives into the close.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back