When Touring do people plan and book ahead or take pot luck??? (1 Viewer)

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Hi All,

We are waiting impatiently (four weeks on Monday) to pick up our 2008 Swift Sundance with the Fiat 100 cab (OMG we could not get over all the different layouts and were really struggling to find a layout we liked until we found our swift with a rear lounge which gave us the spacious feel we were looking for and our dog to move around.)

So we have booked an EHC pitch for three nights the bank holiday weekend in the New Forest at Setthorns for our first trip which we are really looking forward to.

That is fine for a short trip but for a longer trip say fourteen days around the Highlands it is 500 miles for us just to Inverness so would be good to split that up with at least one overnight stop and then who knows. I am not sure I would want to have to stick to a rigid itinery arriving at specific sites by a certain day and could even end up peeling off M6 into the lake district and staying there.

Is it viable to stop the odd night in a decent lay by or Motorway services if you run out of time and options or do people find a camp site on route using good old google.

How much do you plan ahead or just see where you end up????

Final question, some site insist you have to be a member of camping and caravan club, is joining neccesary to gain acces to the best sites or not?

Thank you, for taking the time to read and your thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards Paul

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Just like to add to all the advice above. We belong to www.WildCampingCo.uk membership about the same as Fun. (Not a competitor in any way). They have a database for members of thousands of Wild Camping spots all around the UK and some of France. They have it in various forms for TomTom, Garmin, IPad etc. and for Autoroute which we use extensively with a small PC on the dash showing a moving map. So while we are driving we see the wild camping spots on TomTom or Autoroute as we travel.
we probably have only stayed on 20 sites in 20 years and most of those were in Croatia where Wild Camping is frowned upon but sites are dirt cheap. WildCamping also have a database of taps for refilling water, pubs to stop at and WC,s for emptying but remember do not use blue if you are going to empty in public toilets as they may be using a septic tank. Use Green or like us Cheap Bio Washing Powder which is better than everything, in my opinion, but totally off topic.
Enjoy your new home on wheels, but if wild camping, check your locks and hide your Passports and valuables before settling down for the night with a glass of something. Better still talk to @eddievanbitz and get a good alarm fitted £900 or less with Funster discount.
Enjoy your Motorhome.
Steve

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
cross the channel turn left for spain right for italy and germany job done lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I see most people avoid school holidays in this country (as we normally will). Are there likely to be more problems finding CLs/ britstops during school holidays? We will be looking at moving from the Cotswolds to Vanbitz the week following the May bank holiday weekend. We will be flexible in our route.

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Even if there is no problem,the prices will be sky high

Upvote 0
?

Deleted User
Now i am taking a van when in mainland Europe i suppose it will be pot luck. I did tend to book hotels for every third night when taking the car and tent. Need a soft bed now and then

Upvote 0

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
This is what we do. Book a ferry to France get the All the Aires book for France and the German Stellplatz book called Boad Atlas. You are then out from all the UKs bull must book a site 3 months in advance. You are free to tour where you wish stop where you wish including Supermarket car parks with laid out Motorhome size spaces for your overnight stay. Cost €0 Most Aires / Stellplatz do not cost more than €12. You may even get free Wifi. Driving is a lot less hectic and you do not need the toll roads see the country. Motorhomes are made for touring not sitting in a tuggers muddy field.

Upvote 0

Arewethereyet

Free Member
Apr 21, 2016
Bracknell, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All,

We are waiting impatiently (four weeks on Monday) to pick up our 2008 Swift Sundance with the Fiat 100 cab (OMG we could not get over all the different layouts and were really struggling to find a layout we liked until we found our swift with a rear lounge which gave us the spacious feel we were looking for and our dog to move around.)

So we have booked an EHC pitch for three nights the bank holiday weekend in the New Forest at Setthorns for our first trip which we are really looking forward to.

That is fine for a short trip but for a longer trip say fourteen days around the Highlands it is 500 miles for us just to Inverness so would be good to split that up with at least one overnight stop and then who knows. I am not sure I would want to have to stick to a rigid itinery arriving at specific sites by a certain day and could even end up peeling off M6 into the lake district and staying there.

Is it viable to stop the odd night in a decent lay by or Motorway services if you run out of time and options or do people find a camp site on route using good old google.

How much do you plan ahead or just see where you end up????

Final question, some site insist you have to be a member of camping and caravan club, is joining neccesary to gain acces to the best sites or not?

Thank you, for taking the time to read and your thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards Paul

Hi Paul, my wife and I brought our first motor home back in the middle August 2009 on the 12th of September 2009 we took it over to France and in 8 days we traveled down too and back from the Pyrenees to show it to our friends who lived there at the time our new baby, armed only with an ACSI camping card book and about has much knowledge of motorhoming that you could write on a postage stamp.

We learnt lots of things on that trip, the one thing being how big France as a country is (it's BIG) but the main one thing that we learnt was that we loved motorhoming and the comradery that goes with it.

In regards to the joining of the main two clubs the choice is entirely up to yourselves, yes they do offer a reasonably good network of campsites here in the UK and if you plan on using them there is a financial gain to be made in regards to cheaper rates for members, I don't remember off the top of my head how many nights you need to stay before it pay's for your yearly membership fee's but it's not many.

We wish you good luck in your travels where ever you end up.

M

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
A fascinating insight in to what different people do. Ultimately would love to tour all around Europe but have my own business and could not risk leaving them on there own for too long as no sooner have I left and there is a major panic.

Plenty of places to visit in Uk until then and we can take the dog without any worries and leave at a moments notice.

Liked the idea of Wild camping inbetween sites to allow charging and emptying but having to hide valuable and setting an alarm while asleep makes it sound rather vulnerable, dare I ask if anyone has had any bad experiences?

Paul

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
dare I ask if anyone has had any bad experiences?

yes.. in 2004 we had a window broken during the night at Aldeburgh.. scary experience.. when I went out to investigate I saw them drive away at speed..

it shouldn't put you off.. we were perhaps unlucky .. but we haven't wild camped since..

We may do again when we next have a trip to Scotland.. in proper wild camping countryside.. wouldn't ever contemplate it in a built up area or car park..

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It's horrible when it happens to you - burglary, mindless vandalism be it to your house, your car or when away in your MH. No denying.
It will influence your opinion naturally.

But I wonder if there are any statistics?

Are you more likely to have your property attacked at home or whilst away in your MH?

I suppose lack of local knowledge might add to the perception of risk.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
Always take a look at your property and if it's obviously vulnerable, harden it. Leave nothing out that can assist to burgle, ie garden tools.
House wise, keep the front clear so people can clearly see the door and that will make anyone think twice. Tell neighbours if you are away.

MH, obvious security and alarm notices make it less approachable than one with a window ajar or 'goodies' on view. A lot of it is common sense, just think like a thief. When wild camping I set the exterior alarm only, have forgotten to turn it off a couple of times resulting in activation on door opening in the morning!

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
We don't book wether we are in Europe or UK, we love the freedom the Motorhome gives us at the moment we are at a beautiful site at Arisaig, we were heading for Applecross on Monday

Changed our minds and decided to get the Ferry from Malaig to Skye instead, if we had booked it would take our freedom away. Though we have our options helped by being in CCC. Britsops and MCC and of course Fun with these options not been stuck for somewhere to Park on the last 14 year's, of course we do Wild Camping as well.

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Apart from ferries my idea of planning is.... Fill the diesel tank, fill the gas tank, fill the water tank.. stick a load of grub on board and go !
I would hate to be limited to certain places.. What if we get there and do not like it ??

Britstops is the way forward in the UK ( there are now several places listed in Ireland too )

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Paul an Jane MK

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
Thank you, so much everybody for all the info. I think to start with we will try the CS sites (better join C&CC) although just read confirmation for New Forest and that was sent by C&CC?

Just read up about Alabama rot (yikes)

Looked up Pub campsites and they look quite interesting LoL and on our trip to Scotland in August if we find somewhere suitable we can give "Wild camping" a go.

Finally, it would be great to come to a rally and get the chance to meet a few members. Any suggestion which one would be best for a Newbie? and would it be ok to just turn up for the weekend, they all seem to be 4 days or so?

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you can turn up for as long as you wish, any of the fun rallies will be fine the bigger ones are usually attached to motorhome shows

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Apart from ferries my idea of planning is.... Fill the diesel tank, fill the gas tank, fill the water tank.. stick a load of grub on board and go !
I would hate to be limited to certain places.. What if we get there and do not like it ??

Britstops is the way forward in the UK ( there are now several places listed in Ireland too )
Agree, but don't bother with grub prefer to stock up in France.:D

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Agree, but don't bother with grub prefer to stock up in France.:D

Nah.. We are never in France long enough !
Dislike being there intensely and only pass through it to get to a proper decent destination (y)

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You are missing out John France is Motorhome Heaven.
When going away in the van we always like to go south and the only place south of us is France.:)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back