When to book the ferry? (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
So planning way in advance for next summers holiday :) when should the ferry for summer school holidays be booked? Is there a window that all the cheap crossings come out? Is it to early to be thinking about ferries? I got a price for one and it was over £500 from portsmouth to le Havre. Not sure what route to take. What is the cheapest crossing? Don't fancy going to Dover as it is 4-5 hour journey for us.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Dieppe to Newhaven is nearly always cheaper than Le Havre> Portsmouth ( I only found them the same price on one trip) I also found Dieppe easier than Le Havre, with the Aire only 200m from the check in. Think it's €7 for 24 hours and a few minutes walk to all the restaurants and shops.
Most I paid was about £160 for one adult, vehicle and 4 animals ( one way) into UK which is always the expensive way with pets!
Never booked far in advance--couple of weeks at most.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Is it only Calais that they have trouble with the immigrants?
We tend not to stay at Calais Aire because of them.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Is it only Calais that they have trouble with the immigrants?
We tend not to stay at Calais Aire because of them.

We can back via Calais on monday addmitinly it was wet but we did not see the mass of immigrants there normaly is, however at the passport control the border control lady told us that motorhomes were being targeted by immigrants on the road! when they slowed or stoped in traffice. She told us they are trying to get into lockers/garages etc so we should keep them locked at all times, also apprantly some motorhomers had been theatened by knives to let poeple in! Personly I did not see any and she may just have been scaremongering? or fishing to see reactions?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So planning way in advance for next summers holiday :) when should the ferry for summer school holidays be booked? Is there a window that all the cheap crossings come out? Is it to early to be thinking about ferries? I got a price for one and it was over £500 from portsmouth to le Havre. Not sure what route to take. What is the cheapest crossing? Don't fancy going to Dover as it is 4-5 hour journey for us.
Wouldn't book to far in front, any thing might change in a year that you could not go or even that you could go sooner, and between now and then there will be various offers, just keep a look out for them

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Even further in advance we have been booked to look after Grandson whilst his Mum and Dad are in Essen at a conference. We will probably book both the vehicles plus cabins on the same ferry Hull to ?

micky drip

Free Member
Jul 4, 2012
mid wales
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
5 years
We booked on AUG 19th for dover Calais sailing next day on 20th 10.25 a.m. £68 single. AFerry . com
Took the A26 out of Calais, saw several small groups of illegals along the hard shoulder walking away from Calais, possibly waiting for traffic jams or perhaps just lost

ElvistheKing

Free Member
Mar 18, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
Put my Elgrand in a ditch
Exp
Since Birth
also apprantly some motorhomers had been theatened by knives to let poeple in! Personly I did not see any and she may just have been scaremongering? or fishing to see reactions?

I find a spear gun waved at them soon sees them off.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back