When size matters and becomes an issue .... ? (1 Viewer)

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Hi Guys,

We are in our 50's ( hate to say that ! ) and going looking for our first motorhome, destination Dusseldorf this weekend.

While we are trying to decide on layout, I do appreicate that it will likely be a trade off in some departments.

The question that keeps coming to mind is, what length is practical to use in the Uk and in and around our small towns streets ?

Getting into our drive will limit us to 7 -7.5m with out an modifications, maybe up to 8.5 max with a gatepost moved.

While I'm sure the larger may well be fine on 'A' roads and even small country roads, are they best avoided for manoeuvring around town & parking, perhaps also on campsites ?

Thanks in advance

Alistair

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
I just went through the same exercise in balancing compromises, weighing up pros against cons. (Fifty-somethings.. first Motorhome bought last week)

We had a maximum length determined by our driveway.
With an absolute maximum of 7.0m to play with it just came down to the internal layout. I'm more than happy to be limited to 7.0m from a driving point of view.

We agreed to choose a layout that we'd be happiest with if the weather pinned us inside for a week or so at a time.
Imagining a dreadful British summer (if you can imagine such a thing) helps bring a reality check to the search for a suitable interior.
Most interiors work well if you are outside all day, drinking beers and poking a steak on the BBQ occasionally.

After that it was a matter of how much money we wanted to throw at it. We had our MH selected but then made a costly error of looking around a Burstner.
We were so impressed by the quality (robustness) of the, older and yet more expensive, Burstner interior that we decided to dig deep behind the sofa for spare pennies (actually spare bundles of £50 notes) and "go German".

Most things I can live with but the "lounge" had to be spot on. If I can't slouch* then I can't get happy.

*Beds are not for slouching in my humble opinion.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
[QUOTE="Go Humberto!, post: 1990561, member: 44671]

*Beds are not for slouching in my humble opinion.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, that's what we use the revolving and reclining cab seats with adjustable armrests for!

Good luck with your new van, hope it works out well for you

Enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Go Humberto!

Free Member
Aug 18, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A-Class
Exp
[QUOTE="Go Humberto!, post: 1990561, member: 44671]

*Beds are not for slouching in my humble opinion.

Agreed, that's what we use the revolving and reclining cab seats with adjustable armrests for!

Good luck with your new van, hope it works out well for you

Enjoy.[/QUOTE]

I'm a quick learner where slouching is concerned.
BROKEN LINK

Upvote 0

The Fossies

Free Member
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,
We are also going to the show in Dusseldorf.
Our original intention was to try and broker a favourable deal on an Adria Matrix Supreme but now the exchange rate has crashed things have changed. We got our Adria last week after the dealer called us with a £5k discount on new price.
Still going to the show though as I am sure it will be a worthwhile trip for picking up ideas and gaining knowledge of european motorhoming - which is all new to us at the moment.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back