LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I am with Bill on this, what we were used to doing with our motorhomes has gone for the next year or more. IF and it is a big IF we survive this intact it will be a miracle and many people and businesses will be hurting badly by the time we reach the end.

As for members of staff trying to book holiday time when the business is struggling to re-start, it will be a long holiday with your p45 for company. There is going to be mass unemployment for the next few years and holding onto a job will take some doing. Looking around now, I can see so many businesses that are failing already. That includes many campsites and tourist based places, along with motorhome and caravan dealerships. A few were already struggling with debt, this has been the end of them without doubt

Sorry if it sounds negative, but that is the reality I see in this situation

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
You don't have a "lock down" just slight inconvenience .When you do get one you 'll appreciate what you have at the moment.
A very good point and thanks for making it (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Once France is safe we will set off to see what state our house is in. En route it will be a stop near Whitstable to see our new great niece.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Gus you are right, our daughter in Cyprus has to text to ask permission to go out, has to wait for a text back giving permission, only once a day, one person, her children will be housebound for months. At least we can go for a walk, although I believe Cyprus has it right and she is safer there.

Friend told me a couple of days ago Cyprus is clamping down further —- curfew from 6pm to 9 am. Do you know if this has happened or it’s the next step if people don’t toe the line? Another friend’s daughter ( Cypriot citizen though on a UK passport) is stranded at Uni in the UK as no flights.

May 13, 2015
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Hollberry,

We live in Cyprus, and yes, there is a curfew from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. for everyone, this was the latest government move this week to try to contain the rate of infection. The exceptions are nurses , doctors etc that need to be on the road at night and they must carry a letter from their employer to that effect. Outside of those hours Under 65s must send a text to government department giving their reason for being out e.g pharmacy, doctors, supermarket , essential workers , bank and a couple more.There are very few exceptions.
The government then sends you a text giving permission to be out but only once in a day. There are many random police checks everywhere and if stopped you must show your phone permission or pay a very hefty fine or worst scenario be prosecuted.The supermarkets are completely stocked , the only exceptions being hand sanitizer which is out of stock. Supermarkets and fruit and vegetable shops are providing plastic gloves and hand sanitizer before entering and have security outside limiting people in the shop at any one time.
Over 65s do this or they may download a form to take with them and date and time it. Only 3 people to a car .
The curfew was a direct result of a few people, as is normal in society these days, not doing as they were asked and staying away from friends and family. Permission to walk and exercise an animal is given but it must be near to your place of residence.
We had to go to the supermarket yesterday as home deliveries don’t happen here.The roads and shops were almost deserted. We try to go out not more than once every 10 days.

The airports were closed about two weeks ago and there have been very few flights in, certainly no tourist flights, there have however been flights out to get people back to their home countries.

So far students are not being allowed back for the Easter holidays and this is a big bone of contention here with families .There reason behind this is, I think, that anyone who has been allowed to enter Cyprus in the last 3 or 4 weeks has been quarantined for 14 days mostly up in mountain village accommodation and I imagine that, as there are a very large number of students, it would be difficult to isolate them.

Stay safe everyone.

Kind regards,

Pam

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We had to cancel our trip to Croatia, then our alternative, the Outer Hebrides.

When the “all clear” is finally given, (Autumn time I would think), we will take a couple of short trips in the UK, including one to get some postponed warranty work carried out. Fortunately not something that stops us using the motorhome.

We have a fly-off holiday booked for early January 2021 then, in February, we will look to taking the motorhome to Spain/Portugal.

One problem may be a recurrence of Covid-19 next winter if effective vaccines have not been produced.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I am no virologist but i feel that travail in Europ will never ever be the same again a unseen enemy that killed thousands.
A stranger enters a town what is he carting with him could it the virus the sloppy days of happy toring have gone
a stranger infected Europe.
do you think that they are going to welcome strangers with open arms and a big sloppy kiss
bill

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I will be doing the same as @Necender, and treating the whole family to a slap up meal. That'll be a challenge in itself. The youngsters prefer Nandos, Frankie & Benny's type of meal, us old'es prefer more traditional, but for once I won't care they can go where they want and eat what they want. Good old Grumpy will pay...

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Will have to wait and see.
Spend some time with MIL if poss, sort out clothes and probably spend a week in the laundrette-lol!!!
After that who knows all depends on what is happening with B......t!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It seems doubtful that the restrictions will be relaxed much before autumn. We will try to book some short trips away not too far from home when the Clubs and CLs re-open, but expect pitch availability will be difficult due to all the pent-up demand released at the same time, especially if it is during school hols. Don't forget we MHers are outnumbered 2:1 (at least) by caravanners.

I would love to go back to France, but we shall have to see what the situation is over there, and whether suitable travel insurance is available at reasonable cost (or at all). I understand that the EHIC scheme expires at the end of 2020 unless an extension or replacement scheme is agreed. Tricky.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Wales to see my new great granddaughter. I think it will be a couple of months before we will be able to travel more freely. As said before we will still be eyed with caution as possible carriers. As I will towards others. After all CV won’t end at midnight one day it will be a tail off.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I think that all eu country's as the uk will want to see immunity certificates that you have had it or had the jab that wont happen for over a year they wont take any chances i would not think and like a sade in a previous post ther not going to welcome you with a big sloppy kiss remember were a third country by then
bill

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
We have a week closure scheduled in June for a break in Devon. I doubt that will take place although the site we have booked are still quoting the 17th April as their revised opening date.

As we are closed with no income, I guess there will be a debate about opening for bookings asap or taking a break away from here before we start again.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a new grandchild due on the 16th. Seeing him/her will be high on the priority list.
In terms of going away France/Spain/Portugal if feasible. I have no interest in motorhoming in the UK so if restricted to that will be looking to swap for a trailer caravan, and perhaps a PVC that could tow one.

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
It seems doubtful that the restrictions will be relaxed much before autumn. We will try to book some short trips away not too far from home when the Clubs and CLs re-open, but expect pitch availability will be difficult due to all the pent-up demand released at the same time, especially if it is during school hols. Don't forget we MHers are outnumbered 2:1 (at least) by caravanners.

I would love to go back to France, but we shall have to see what the situation is over there, and whether suitable travel insurance is available at reasonable cost (or at all). I understand that the EHIC scheme expires at the end of 2020 unless an extension or replacement scheme is agreed. Tricky.
Travel insurance could be tricky for us oldies, doesn't cover existing conditions, EHIC does. I have always relied on EHIC and had no problems with it, although we have always travelled within the EU.

May 24, 2016
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016 - this time
When able to complete my mum's house sale then I'll be completing the purchase of my brand new (hopefully 20 plate) motorhome. Will get some work done on it for full time living (before collection.) Then off to see family first before who knows where, unless F1 at Silverstone been rescheduled then I'll be there. Was going to France/Spain in May but that's cancelled. ? ? ??

Sep 14, 2018
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato compass drift
Exp
When able to complete my mum's house sale then I'll be completing the purchase of my brand new (hopefully 20 plate) motorhome. Will get some work done on it for full time living (before collection.) Then off to see family first before who knows where, unless F1 at Silverstone been rescheduled then I'll be there. Was going to France/Spain in May but that's cancelled. ? ? ??
Exciting times ahead. Brilliant ?

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Had to cancel month long trip to the Outer Hebrides in May, but as soon as the travel ban has been lifted I think we have now decided to go back up to the Shetlands, I need my fix of photographing Otters. Then, as we will be both retired, family in Somerset and Norfolk with wildlife photography to get us both fit again.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This year was going to be my final long distance tour, anything up to 3 months in Europe round the places we have been to and liked before as well as new ones, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, back to France, Spain, and back again leisurely, don't know if it will come off now or ever in fact:(
Maybe stuck with Ryanair now, if indeed they will still be in business.:(:(

OP
OP
Innkeeper
Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
This year was going to be my final long distance tour, anything up to 3 months in Europe round the places we have been to and liked before as well as new ones, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, back to France, Spain, and back again leisurely, don't know if it will come off now or ever in fact:(
Maybe stuck with Ryanair now, if indeed they will still be in business.:(:(
Why final long distance tour?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its a conundrum ... it really depends what time of year the total 'unlockdown' happens and what other countries are doing ...

We have travel insurance until early December 2020 but whether we'll get to 'use' it (as in travel abroad) I don't know, before all of this kicked off we were thinking of France sometime in the summer or Ireland, expensive to go but love the place. Obviously would want to do a winter trip to Spain etc again if possible as we loved it.. However, it's looking unlikely that anything will be possible at all so the best we could hope for is a break in the UK somewhere, but where/when is anyone's guess.

Despite the virus though we have Romy to think of and although in good spirits she's a poorly girl, wetting her bedding a lot, picky with food etc, so there's no way we could easily cope with her in the camper as we've got no way of washing and drying stuff and we can't expect her to keep wearing nappies all the time.

The virus restrictions are bad enough but even if the virus hadn't happened we wouldn't be going anywhere anyway due to Romy's issues.

On the up side we do have a nice expensive 'garden ornament' to look at!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back