When Is Mileage Too High? (2 Viewers)

MrsKiddo

Free Member
Jul 28, 2018
Funster No
Hi!

Be gentle with me please ... have decided to buy a VW. Looked at a few. Found one I love today but 2002 model with 230000+ on the clock. Nicely done. Lot of money spent on it £8k price tag but a deal can be done I suspect. Any advice would be most welcome specifically re the mileage.

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
M

MrsKiddo

Free Member
Jul 28, 2018
Funster No
Thank you for your answer. Another I looked at was maybe a year older but about 170 on the clock. Not so nicely done or spacious but again well looked after. A better prospect? Mileage wise?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
You want to be looking at 90/100,000 , unless you want to be replacing a lot of parts , as they reach end of life .

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I would be more interested in history than just mileage. My own camper has 210,000 miles under her belts and starts and runs perfectly. When was it converted, what was it used for before it was converted, what service history is there, general bodywork condition, has the cambelt been changed if applicable etc?

D.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MrsKiddo

Free Member
Jul 28, 2018
Funster No
Thank you. This is my thinking too. Can’t mind so will ask about cam belt and previous use. Helpful answer

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
2002 model with 230000+ on the clock..

As Clint Eastwood said "are you feelin' lucky punk ?"

You really do need a decent mechanic looking and hearing it, on and off a ramp.

You might be lucky, though the punk in question wasn't.

Remember, it might be old, it might be cheap but the repair costs are more or less the same as a new one.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
our renault master ex ambulance has done 254000 runs like new but could be scrap tomorrow, you takes your choice.

Upvote 0
Nov 9, 2015
Shenfield, Essex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
35+ years mainly in VW's
Hi MrsKiddo

These vans are commercial vehicles and are expected to do a fair mileage, so 230k+ doesn't sound too bad to me. I would be more concerned with the bodywork and whether the conversion works for you. The price sounds around about right for a VW T4 of that age providing it was in a reasonably good condition. I have just recently sold my 2.5 TDI 2003 T4 self converted camper with elevating roof for slightly more than that. Mine had just over 108k miles and had been serviced regularly. My friends VW 2.5 TDI is also a 2003 and has now done in excess of 240k miles and runs like a swiss watch

Cheers

Trevor

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
When I've purchased secondhand, I always look at the whole life ownership cost. Such as, how easy will it be to sell when the time comes. Are spare parts readily available for the base vehicle ?

A VW T4 camper is a popular vehicle (plus point) but a high mileage one might be more difficult to resell (minus point).

The maximum amount of money you can lose is the purchase price - if repair costs become unsustainable, it may end up in a graveyard.

Providing it's been regularly serviced and checked over by a qualified mechanic, you lessen the likelihood of future mechanical failure. You can checkout previous MOT records online including advisory notifications.

Best of luck.

Upvote 0

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
High mileage vehicle certainly wouldn't bother asking about cam belt first thing I'd do is change it for peace of mind also factor in a gear box to the price you'll pay as a safety.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Fiat Ducato,2014,super long wheel base high top .full service history, 889,000 kms :) was one I considered recently(y)

* That's 560,000miles in old money

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
If you are not sure due to the mileage go in with low offer and be prepared to walk away - resale value with that mileage wont be easy - coming to end of summer price will start dropping soon like they all do - chances are you will find a lot better mileage van if you wait

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Fiat Ducato,2014,super long wheel base high top .full service history, 889,000 kms :) was one I considered recently(y)

* That's 560,000miles in old money
I think by then its probably the old broom with 4 new handles and 5 new heads!!!

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi!

Be gentle with me please ... have decided to buy a VW. Looked at a few. Found one I love today but 2002 model with 230000+ on the clock. Nicely done. Lot of money spent on it £8k price tag but a deal can be done I suspect. Any advice would be most welcome specifically re the mileage.

Thanks in advance.
What you have to think about is what was the money spent on (did the previous owner know about the problems when they took it on) and do you mind spending a lot if more problems surface? You will of course also be depending on the work having being done properly.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
We've quite a few of these in our barracks. Lads love them, but we've a huge workshop at our disposal to do all the repairs required.

Take heed of service history. They're a right pain to repair and not cheap either.

Corrosion is a big factor, many have had to be repaired due to the metal bugs eating it away.

Wiring is also an issue on a fair few. Once they get to a certain age and changed hands a number of times (how many previous owners have those vehicles had), there's been lots of after market mods added, alarms, lights, sat nav, cooling fans etc.

In the end it's your cash. If it feels right then enjoy the journey and keep us posted:)

Oh and welcome:)

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I would agree go for the best possible bodywork a lot easier to change mechanical components and steer clear of resprays unless there is photographic proof of the quality of the repair and previous condition.

Upvote 0

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
On a 2002 it's a vw t4

I've had several of these one of which had over 700, 000 miles on the clock as an ex Newcastle taxi ..

I sold that van fully converted as a camper and with a full feature in volksworld camper and bus behind it for just shy of £13k

Van drove better than many I've owned with less miles , many of its parts had been replaced many times.

As these vehicles have a cult following they become harder to source so many started life as work vans and have been converted in recent years.

Many of them will have high miles but gave been practical rebuilt
Others will be sheds on wheels ....reallu depends on the particular vehicle

But don't just dismiss high mileage vehicles because of numbers on a clock

Judge each by it's own merits and if you don't have the knowledge to check it yourself find a non biased friend who can.

Some of my best vehicles have had very high miles some of my worst have had the lowest

One thing for sure with a vw t4 is they hold value very well and in my own cases I've sold every one of them for more than they cost me
DSCF4039.JPG

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2018
Poynton, East Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
From experience I’d advise you to forget VW and buy a Toyota HiAce. Toyota engines and gearboxes are good for at least 500,000 miles and have a 12 year body rust through warranty. MPG averages 39.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back