When is it appropriate to pay the balance for your van? (1 Viewer)

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
We
No need for transfers, In my experience a debit card is fine to pay tens of thousands.
paid 60k on the day with debit card and that went straight through instantly, the dealer also wanted to see my proof of insurance before I drove it away

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I've never paid other than on the day of collection. With my current 'van, I handed over my p/x which the dealer had never previously seen and paid the considerable balance on a debit card.

The dealer, Camper UK, had fitted all my requested extras and never asked for anything up front other than a £2k deposit.

Paying before the keys are on your hand is a huge risk.

OP
OP
Jonno1103

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
If something is wrong with the van or something happens to the van after you've paid for it but before you have collected it. Its your van, and your problem.

Which is exactly my one and only concern and stumbling block really.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
You have paid your deposit and that is sufficient. You are not saying you will not pay but will pay when YOU are happy. They are not buying it, you are. Make sure the balance is in your current account then when you are "content" you can do a card payment. (Not BACS, it takes too long to clear) I have bought a few vans over the years and have never been asked to pay balance prior to collection either for a new van or used. As others have said, no matter how well you know the dealer or how financially sound they look, there is always the possibility that they could go bust between you paying and your scheduled collection day. My advice again, for what it is worth, is although it is late in the day, take out a short term finance agreement. (12 months) That affords you a huge amount of comfort and assistance if you need it whilst you get acquainted with your new home. Look at Woolworths and Thomas Cook.! Never thought they would go!

Jul 22, 2013
Altrincham
Funster No
MH
Chausson 718xlb
Exp
I was a newbie
Definitely do not pay until you have fully inspected it, I asked the same question ish this time last year and paid the day I picked it up, but I didn't overly check it, this was really my greatest mistake, one year later I am still trying to get warranty claims sorted and dealer problems are still outstanding! Love my van though! DO NOT PAY A CENT OVER THE DEPOSIT UNTIL YOU HAVE CHECKED IT THOROUGHLY

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Enough of these depressing companies may go bust posts
Im booking my holls
Thomas Cook any good ? :Eeek:

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Last three vehicles I have bought (two cars and one motorhome) I paid after I had inspected the vehicle on the day a
I picked it up.

Dealers go bust and if you have paid but not got what you paid for you will loose all your money.

Fot the same reason I would never give my px to the dealer until I had the new one.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Jonno1103 - From your original post and answers it sound like you are buying from the same dealer we bought our Apache 700 from , ie not too far from the army barracks town ?
If that is the case then I can only praise them . Our sale went through fine , the only glitch being my application for finance being refused so we put it in my wife’s name , the paperwork only being signed on collection day and after we had had a good look round and a handover. A couple of minor warranty claims were dealt with easily and efficiently and always with a friendly reception from dealership staff.
Good luck with your purchase and have many happy travels .

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We paid on collection. Well that was the plan but there were a couple of issues. Signature (Preston) were absolutely fine about it. Didn’t ask us to pay. Delivered the van up to us (200 miles or so) when it was ready. Then we paid by debit card. Trouble was despite numerous assurances by the bank it WAS limited. So we paid the remainder the following day.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
No need for transfers, In my experience a debit card is fine to pay tens of thousands.

As for the we can only accept 3000 on the day, thats is just a ruse so you help their cashflow.

It is also because they will have to pay a percentage to the CC company and don't want to do that.

OP
OP
Jonno1103

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Credit cards yes. But negligible for debit cards if anything.
My wife is charged 1.49% per debit & credit card transaction although unlike Worldpay there's no monthly fee and she pays £26 a month for the card reader.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We paid on handover with a debit card, no quibbles from the dealer either.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

As for the we can only accept 3000 on the day, thats is just a ruse so you help their cashflow.
That was 3000 by credit card which they will pay for (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back