When is Gasit / Gaslow the right option? (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi guys
When would it be viable to have a gasit gaslow installation?
Is it about time away?
Is it about the the cost saving on refills ?
Currently have 2 x 6kg calor bottles and doing a 2 week trip to Germany soon
Thanks
Robert

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
So I presume the cylinder connects to the existing main in-line in the gas compartment? Is the fill entry point easily accessible? Because our current compartment has the top of the bottle out of site, therefore in-accessible to a nozzle.

Keith

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
It connects to a Gaslow regulator in the gas locker, although doesn't need to be a Gaslow one. The filler: I glued a bit of 4 x 2 to the roof of the locker then used the supplied bracket for the gas filler.

Joe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Another saving can be had if you go around the Midlands and Wales much, get an account with Countrywide stores,http://www.countrywidefarmers.co.uk/pws/Content.ice?page=AutogasHome&pgForward=businesshome
and if you register gas usage for cooking etc, you only pay 5% vat.
You can access most sites 24/7 as they're unmanned, you just get sent an invoice.

i have considered this as tjhere is an outlet about 7 miles from home ( and as near as any Garage with LPG ) i can see how to register but how do i register for cooking only?

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I moved it from our old van, a Burstner, to our current van, a Euramobil. Much tighter in the Euramobil but still managed to fit them both in - there was no way they weren't going to fit!

Joe
Same as me with our 11kg Gaslow bottle ... there was NO WAY it wasn't going into our locker! :rolleyes:

Removing all the brackets etc within the locker except the 2 which I was going to use and then taking the trim off the door aperture I hoped to get it in ... but it still wouldn't go through the 'doorway' being a couple of mm too wide at the base so out came my lump hammer and some judicial bashing to either side of the base to make it the same width as the rest of it (the gas cylinder part is slightly narrower than the base so no bashing needed to it) did the trick and I managed to just get it in. (y)

Upvote 0

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
ours wasn't quite that tight, thankfully! Hoses were the worst problem - getting a spanner in to tighten them up!

Joe

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
It is a no brainer really! Fit and forget until you just fill up at under half of cost of exchange. I reckoned 16 full fills would pay for my two 6kg system - and I love the convenience. I fitted it myself with a spanner or two, a drill and a screwdriver in about an hour, most of the time spent on finding the best position for the hoses. Dead easy with the Gasit kit.

That's about 20 years gas for me.

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We have gas low two 6kg bottles we would not be without it haven't looked at watt it has saved or cost us it just a very convenient system we just go to get diesel we top up with the gas.
with cooking fridge and hating on 24/7 in winter we get 3/4 days Frome one fill
best thing e ever got.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i have considered this as tjhere is an outlet about 7 miles from home ( and as near as any Garage with LPG ) i can see how to register but how do i register for cooking only?
Sorry I can't remember how I registered for the lower vat rate, maybe best to email them and ask.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Fitted a single 11kg gasit this year as we were going to France and didnt want hassle but since saw a post saying some french supermarkets supply gas cyls with no deposit. If this is true I would have gone with one and bought a french pigtail would have been £150 cheaper and could have just swapped over as needed I would have continued on the French cyl until used then swapped back.
A lot of French villages still have no mains gas and cook on bottled gas the markets much larger more open and I suspect cheaper (but have just filled 12litres of gas for 7 quid at the garage tonight)

David

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I also DIY fitted a Gasit 11kg bottle. Very easy to do and cost £190 including all 3 adapters for Europe. Gasit were very quick - ordered it at noon, arrived 10am the next day and I had it fitted by 2pm. I have a 6kg Calor as backup but never have usedit.

Gasit and Gaslow bottles are identical except for the colour of the paint. I was told they come from the same factory in Portugal.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry I can't remember how I registered for the lower vat rate, maybe best to email them and ask.

sorted emailed them they sent me the forms via email and filled in 5%vat sent back via email account set up just waiting delivery of the key to the pumps. (y)
many thanks for the heads up(y)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
sorted emailed them they sent me the forms via email and filled in 5%vat sent back via email account set up just waiting delivery of the key to the pumps. (y)
many thanks for the heads up(y)
Glad you got sorted , I think it's worth having the account because you only pay for what you use.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Quick update....
Decided on GasIt 2x6kg bottles, external filler, all the pipes and auto changeover, plus 3 continental adaptors. Also ordered an external BBQ point. All in £445
Plus £120 for local professional fitter.
Saving of over £350 compared with Gaslow equivalent from my local dealer.
Did consider Autogas but their local dealer was 3 hour round trip away and didn't reply to my emails or phone calls
Thanks for all the input guys
Much appreciated!
Robert

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back