When is an ambulance not , dvla (2 Viewers)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
heres a conundrum for you, not mine but my sons , he got the log book through for his ambulance he's converting and still says ambulance on it , he's gone to tax it on line and it came up as free as it's an ambulance , so obviously he did it , but what's he do now , he's got it insured as a conversion being done but now is it legal on the road or not, or what do you change the log book to , ambulance, van, motorhome or what or just leave it as it is and tax it for free.(n)(n)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Motorhome.......after the conversion.
It won't get changed before its completed.
Taxing as an ambulance when its No longer in official service is fraud.....so it's not taxed.
DVLA now require pics of the inside and outside to prove it actually looks like a motorhome.
A van with side Windows is not enough and things like decals and an awning will make all the difference to their decision.
A pic including the reg plates and VIN plate wouldn't go amiss as well.
Then it needs a bed (can be converted from seating) a water supply, a cupboard, other specifics I can't remember.
Insurers generally put a time limit on the conversion before it has to be completed.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
If the dvla won't change a 'van' ,that is taxed as a 'van', to 'motorhome' until it is converted to there satisfaction then they have no defence to an 'ambulance' that is no longer an 'ambulance' remaining taxed , foc, as an 'ambulance' until such time as they consider it converted there satisfaction.
They cannot have it both ways.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Take a pick of bead and a porta potty cooker and any thing motorhome related to show them it is a motor camper
i have Don three in my time a telephone conversation with them and a designated email address of the person you talk to so you can send pictures directly to them
have you got any pick you can put up on this thread might help to advise you better
bill

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If your son wishes to continue using the 'Vehicle' I would suggest that he changes it's Taxation status to PLG (or, if the weight is more than 3500Kgs to Private heavy goods) He should then, when he has converted it to being a motor caravan, he goes through the process as described above.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
113-1357_IMG.JPG
If it does not technically comply with requirements with being a motorhome then it is just a van , so plg is taxation class.
It ceased to be an ambulance when it was not operated as such by a
qualified authority . Its the same as fire engine in private hands it cant be tax free because you are not a fire authority . I have had both as preservation vehicles. :) Carmicheal TACR2A

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
heres a conundrum for you, not mine but my sons , he got the log book through for his ambulance he's converting and still says ambulance on it , he's gone to tax it on line and it came up as free as it's an ambulance , so obviously he did it , but what's he do now , he's got it insured as a conversion being done but now is it legal on the road or not, or what do you change the log book to , ambulance, van, motorhome or what or just leave it as it is and tax it for free.(n)(n)

get it registered as a panel van
that is what i had to do with
my old patient transport ambulance

when its converted fully reapply for motor caravan

this link may help explain your needs for reregistering as a camper/motor home

https://www.caravanwise.co.uk/motor-quote/diy-camper-van.html

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
qualified authority
But it's still registered as an ambulance, which is tax exempt, regardless of it being in private hands or not and the taxation can't be changed until the body type/design has been changed.
DVLA will only tax it in the class it's registered as.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I believe that if gas is used, it will require a certificate of safety. I am guessing that until it becomes a 'Motorhome' it will be classed as a van and require taxing as such.
Whether SVTech should be involved with any new weight restrictions after being kitted out as an MH I am not sure but still worth considering.
Insuring it may also involve some interesting discussion.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
An ambulance is a van with a bed or stretcher in it , If you think that by buying an ambulance and then loading it with parcels you wont get nicked for using it tax exempt then feel free to try :)
All you need to do is tell DVLA thats its now a van , its different with the second change to motorcaravan as you need to show compliance with what is defined as a motorcaravan
237.jpg

A motorhome could be an ambulance @pappajohn

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A friend of mine has a work van that was previously owned and used by the Fire Service so is exempt from everything in the same way as an ambulance.

He's had it for about 3 years and in that time hasn't been able to tax or MOT it because the DVLA say it's exempt and point blank refuse to change the class.

He's got copies of all the correspondence and has given up arguing with them.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
A friend of mine has a work van that was previously owned and used by the Fire Service so is exempt from everything in the same way as an ambulance.

He's had it for about 3 years and in that time hasn't been able to tax or MOT it because the DVLA say it's exempt and point blank refuse to change the class.

He's got copies of all the correspondence and has given up arguing with them.

He must be doing something wrong these guys are doing it all the time
https://www.forcevans.co.uk/

I have no connection financially or otherwise with this firm , other re sellers of ex emergency services and ex gov vehicles are available (y)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
View attachment 205939 If it does not technically comply with requirements with being a motorhome then it is just a van , so plg is taxation class.
qualified authority . Its the same as fire engine in private hands it cant be tax free because you are not a fire authority . I have had both as preservation vehicles. :) Carmicheal TACR2A

If you ever want to shift it, I have an RAF Fire Section to put it in!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
We went over all this a few weeks back on a thread :DI have done 3 ambulances and a bus and quite a few vans this is what I had to do
if being used on the road you will have to reg it as a PLG /ie no longer used as a ambulance so either van or minibus and taxed /ins as such
To comply with MH conversion which will be registered as Motor Caravan
It already has windows in so complies with first bit ,looking like a mh
then must contain as already stated in posts above ..seats/convert to bed ...sink ..cupboard/wardrobe ..2 ring cooker and a table
take photos as a van showing number plate if poss then as a converted MH again showing plate if poss. send v5 with change of use to Motor Caravan(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Fill in the V5C to change it to a van then he can tax it and legally leave it on the road (assuming it's not off the road at the moment), he can then use it if he wants to whilst converting it ... make sure he's aware of the time limit that his insurers have stipulated for the conversion to be done by as they can be quite strict. He also need to check exactly what is needed for it to be changed to a MH on the V5C as it's not a simple matter of chucking in a few bits and bobs, they have to be fixed in place and include a bed, sink, cooker etc as minimum I believe ... it's a while since I did my ambulance conversion so can't remember but when we bought it it had already been re-registered as a MH (don't know how as the 'conversion' was cr@p) so I didn't need to worry although everything in it was scrapped except the cooker!

Just another thought ... what's it's MOT status?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Just another thought ... what's it's MOT status?

If it's still registered as an ambulance or any other emergency service vehicle it's exempt.

It's not possible to get an MOT until the DVLA change the registration class. The MOT online system that they use now won't allow it.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Mot has no interest in what any vehicle is registered as, Only its test class, decided by vehicle type and weight
If no record exists for any given vehicle, I can create a new one on site, for the purpose of the MoT only

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Schedule 2, para 6 of The Vehicles Excise and Registration Act 1994 defines and ambulance as:

(a) constructed or adapted for, and used for no purpose other than, the carriage of sick, injured or disabled people to or from welfare centres or places where medical or dental treatment is given, and
(b) is readily identifiable as a vehicle used for the carriage of such people by being marked "Ambulance" on both sides.

Once any of the above ceases to be the case there is an offence under the Act of using a vehicle where a higher rate of duty applies

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
If it's still registered as an ambulance or any other emergency service vehicle it's exempt.

It's not possible to get an MOT until the DVLA change the registration class. The MOT online system that they use now won't allow it.
You will have to do it the old way and send the v5 in to DVLA
You then have a choice of insuring as a van or M/ caravan self build .....they usually allow 12 weeks to convert from van to M/C ....if it's going to take longer I would insure as a van until it's converted......AIB are great to deal with for conversion ins a d they know what they are on with unlike many ins co' doing this type ins

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You will have to do it the old way and send the v5 in to DVLA
You then have a choice of insuring as a van or M/ caravan self build .....they usually allow 12 weeks to convert from van to M/C ....if it's going to take longer I would insure as a van until it's converted......AIB are great to deal with for conversion ins a d they know what they are on with unlike many ins co' doing this type ins

It’s not me and it’s not a motorhome conversion.

It’s a friend who has a work van that was previously owned by the fire service.

He’s been arguing with DVLA for about 3 years and has tried everything. For reasons best known to themselves the DVLA point blank refuse to change it. They won’t even acknowledge that there’s an issue.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

He’s been arguing with DVLA for about 3 years and has tried everything. For reasons best known to themselves the DVLA point blank refuse to change it. They won’t even acknowledge that there’s an issue.
Not clear how you meen , is he useing it on the road or is it standing?

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Must stress my lad wants it right, and not useing it on the road till it's right, it is moted and insured though

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Cannot understand his problem....I have re registered 4 ambulances (converted 3 sold one) by simply sending v5 in with change of use ....
The insurance is up to you be it ins as van or van converting to Motor Caravan ax explained above

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Not clear how you meen , is he useing it on the road or is it standing?

It's registered and insured in his name and he's used it every day since he bought it.

He can't tax or MOT it because DVLA are absolutely adamant that it's exempt even though it's registered in his name. They refuse to change the class from whatever the exempt one is to PLG. They refuse to tell him why.

He's safe from ANPR and all the rest because it shows as exempt on all databases.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Cannot understand his problem....I have re registered 4 ambulances (converted 3 sold one) by simply sending v5 in with change of use ....
The insurance is up to you be it ins as van or van converting to Motor Caravan ax explained above

He knows what he's doing. He's involved in the industry.

He's sent the V5 in several times. They just send it back.

He's written to them.

He's phoned them.

They refuse to accept that there's an issue or that anything needs changing.

This has been going on for a long time.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
All I can say is good for him :D no tax and if he has a bump no insurance unless he has informed ins (y)

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011

Contact @Yorick : as you can see from the “Dream of motorhome ownership ruined by DVLA” thread, he has his finger poised on the big red button!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back