oldmansea

Free Member
Feb 18, 2011
world
Funster No
MH
lurking
Exp
I have been looking for a camper/motorhome for a long time now. Finally found the right one, advertised as a private sale, spoke extensively to the owner and agreed a price, £12000. I arranged to collect it and pay cash the next day. She said the camper was on the forecourt of a garage but that she would pick up the car and have it ready for me. Next day I got a phone call. The sale was off, garage had a 'buyer' at £17500 and according to her had already paid a deposit and the buyer would confirm rest of purchase at lunchtime. She and I both thought it interesting that a buyer had materialised as soon as she phoned to arrange to pick up the car. The firm, Wellhouse, were full of self justification when I phoned them to find out what was going on.
The facts seem to be,
The buyer, had paid an extra £5500, if they paid the full price, Wellhouse get their slice of the action and the seller gets whatever is left after Wellhouse take their cut.

Even if you take the charitable view, as I did, that they are in it for the money, they have left three unhappy people....as I guess the buyer will be at the inflated price...and the very genuine lady seller who has been made to go back on her word, and me, the original buyer who had a verbal contract with the seller to purchase, who had made all the arrangements to collect some distance away, spending time and money arranging things.

The guy at Wellhouse even asked me if I wanted to buy another one of his, you have to admire his barefaced cheek.

You can imagine my reply.

Things I have taken from this experience, I wouldn't touch Wellhouse with a bargepole. Their prices seem to me to be outrageous. Selling a car with them means you can't even stick an ad in the local post office.

If anyone has something of interest let me know, but please don't bring in another buyer at the last minute when I arrange to collect it.

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Realistically was the lady selling the van underpriced or was it fair market value? Its seems a large margin at that end of the scale. I bought mine privately via Auto-trader. The price I paid was 3-5k cheaper than buying through a dealer, but of course any subsequent problems were mine to deal with.

If the seller was so unhappy about Wellhouse, couldn't she just walk away or was she contractually obliged. I assume a higher price means a better margin for her? Buying and selling vehs can be such a messy business. Good luck on the next one.

grin factor

Free Member
Jul 4, 2013
sunderland
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
i'm a newbiw
Sounds like Wellhouse are just plain greedy. The lady seller will probably only got what she originally agreed with them to sell it for her.
I appreciate dealers have overheads etc, but sounds like they are taking the mick here.
Hope you get a better van soon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would have though the lady would be within her rights to reject both the new buyers offer and wellhouse as the selling agent.

what if she changed her mind and decided to keep the vehicle...would wellhouse have refused to return the vehicle to her ?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well what ever the reason, well house can't give their side . You have made a first post , not to introduce yourself , but to complain about a dealer.
Jim doesn't like that.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Did the retailer "really" have someone for it , or did not like free stock being driven off the forecourt .

Or, try to kill x3 birds with one hit--

1 keep the free stocked MH,
2 sell you one of their own stock,
3 stop the owner selling it and or using it and getting it dirty

Maybe next week, the MH owner will receive a call from the dealer-,oh , sorry, the sale fell through :Eeek:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well what ever the reason, well house can't give their side . You have made a first post , not to introduce yourself , but to complain about a dealer.
Jim doesn't like that.

Hi Ralph hes been a funster since 2011 and more to the point hes a paid member and as such entilted to post as much or little as he likes ::bigsmile:
As to Wellhouse before they moved to the penines they used to trade from my village,and I still think there dad still does.He did a similar thing with one of my vans but the buyer then backed out.Well I did not fall for it a second time and simplytook my vanoff his forcourt when I got my own buyer.If he had not found and lost a buyer I would have given him a couple of hundred quid for his efforts :thumb:as things stood he got nothing
terry

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Well without knowing what the OP signed or agreed as part of the sale, its hard to comment.

If there is no contractual obligation the owner can tell the dealer to poke it and sell it to who they want too. She may of course decide to go with the dealer anyway as she may well be getting more money.

Whilst the OP might think that stinks, without anything in writing its all "p*ss and wind" as my old man used to say. You might not like the outcome, but without an agreement of some sort, preferable in writing, its all opinions and emotions.

Suck it might, but wrong it isnt, at least on the face of it.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
It can be very disappointing when a seller backs out of a sale especially when you have agree a price and made arrangements I have had things like this happen to me I even turned up to collect a motorcycle once to be told I had been gazumped after the owner sold it to me.

You have the cash there are plenty of vans out there without buyers with cash be patient and the right van will turn up some things are just meant to be:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hi Ralph hes been a funster since 2011 and more to the point hes a paid member and as such entilted to post as much or little as he likes ::bigsmile:
terry

It's Bev , btw Terry :Smile: he may have been a member since 2011 I didn't notice that:Doh::Blush:
But it's still the 1st post ever done on the forum.

We were once gazumped on a house. Not nice , but you can't blame them if they are getting a better offer. We couldn't afford to match it , long time ago. But worked out better in the end as we bought a much better property in a nicer area later on.
Maybe the op will get a better deal else where.

Last edited:
M

Madwife

Deleted User
I am a great believer that "what's for you won't go past you" and am sure that you will find a better MH soon.

Kath

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back