LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I noticed on a well known UK Camping sites web site that they differentiate between sites that accept Campervans and those that take Motorhomes. It got me wondering if there is a definite distinction? The "no shower/loo" thought sprang to mind but then I've seen VW type Campervans that have had them fitted ... is there a maximum size/shape that denotes a Campervan? If I turned up in my 5.4m PVC would I be turned away?

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Slight topic swerve here.
DVLA says:

So TECHNICALLY (and in know that's not the same as IN PRACTICE) - if your moho starts out with a detachable table & a twizzly leg thingy, but you swap it for a folding table so you can also use it outside, TECHNICALLY are you no longer a moho, & therefore subject to all sorts of payments as if you were a commercial vehicle? (No I don't expect anybody would look either, just a hypothetical question.)

Our first motorhome, a 2008 Bessacarr only had a free standing table for dining, that had to be stored in a narrow cupboard,

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
My view is it depends on how you use it.

If it is like a tent in that you don't have facilities, to wash, shower etc and can't stand up straight then you are camping in a van.. Ergo a camper van.
If you can live in it full time and it has the basic essentials you find in a house such as kitchen, dedicated room for shower and toilet, central heating and a fixed bed it is a Motorhome.

I don't think it makes any difference if it is a PVC or coachbuilt.

I tend to go along with that definition, but note the fact that I omitted to 'bold' the fixed bed, as I know one of our Members who has to stagger around after a few Leffes to make up his bed, but that is only because he has a 'rear lounge' fixation. However, I would still call his vehicle a Motorhome (except is was built be a member of the swallow family and has since deteriorated under current ownership:LOL:)Also they have lived in it for many months at a time which fits Gromett's definition.

[We are/were mates really]

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I just think it's how people portray the type of vehicle. Years ago it was a dormobile, camper and these days a motorhome. It's like trying to differentiate with tents as in the single one man type and the super sized things we could drive into. They're all tents.
AFAIK, mine's a motorhome but if there was a less charge for a camper, then mine's a campervan.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
VW camper, Mazda bongo or similar (with or without elevating roof) - campervan

PVC, coachbuilt, B class, A class etc. - motorhome

@eddievanbitz and @Jim (our esteemed leader) type vans - RV's

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
VW camper, Mazda bongo or similar (with or without elevating roof) - campervan

PVC, coachbuilt, B class, A class etc. - motorhome

@eddievanbitz and @Jim (our esteemed leader) type vans - RV's
Having owned 2 motorhomes previously, I could never consider my current Panel Van Conversion to be a motorhome, but happy if you want to refer to it as such :D

Upvote 0

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Context is everything. There is no definitive definition of either, so if a website IS makng a distinction between a Campervan and a Motorhome, you need to ask the owners of that website what they consider the difference to be.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
In my opinion, they are just words, but I would never have called our old VW a motorhome. Call it what you like. In France they are called camping cars. No distinction between their construction, be it a classic VW, H van conversion, PVC, coachbuilt or RV.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back