When does one become a proficient Motorhomer? (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Your never Proficient!! 20,30,40,years no matter you'll always have the guy who strolls by with the " you don't want to do it like that do it like this know how" my retort is usually I've only been doing it for 40years so I'll manage thank you.

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
When we are too old to travel in the van and finally sell up . We will be perfect in every way and won't stop passing our wealth of knowledge to any poor bugger who is polite enough to listen .
The older we get the better we were!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
If you profishunt do you get to wear a suit:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Until I joined I never realised how easy it was to open your grey waste as you left a site.

By the time you get home the tank is empty and all sorted.

HaHa. Reminds me of a somewhat embarassing situation a while back. We set off on a trip in the knowledge that we had an unexplained minor leak from our fresh water supply. Probably something to do with a gate valve not quite closing but which mysteriously self healed subsequently. So, you get the picture, I am aware of a steady drip drip drip. So, later we're parked up in an aire beside a nice young German couple and the young lady helpfully (and tactfully) comes over to point out that we have "a bit of a leak" going on. "Oh, that's alright" I say breezily, "I know all about that. It's just a minor problem with my fresh water tank dripping". Fast forward to the next day, on the borne, quitting the aire. Go to pull the grey water release.....already wide open, not closed from the previous dump! Happily the nice young Germans had gone but no doubt puzzled as to how I could dismiss a cascade of steaming washing up suds as a bit of a drip!

TeeCee

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
romford, essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2011
We simply live and learn....like I did on just 2nd ever trip out...when on leaving campsite was...after just a few yards...overtaken by the bollard end of my EHU cable ...which I forgot to unhook!!!
MH undamaged.....unlike my ego!

Reactions: DBK

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Back in the day, if I ever met someone who thought they knew all about all aspects of I.T., they stood absolutely no chance of getting a job in my team.
Why ? 'Cos no one can possible know it all..

Same with M'Homing.
It is actually one of the reasons I am still interested and still enjoy the hobby so much.. Cos every day is a school day
Sure, there are those out there that have been at it for donkeys years and are extremely proficient in 'the ways of the van', but they do not know it all..
Of course there are also those who have been at it for years and know sweet fanny adams too !!

When I get to the point I learn nothing new for months at a time or do not learn any new tips and tricks for yonks, I will almost certainly flog the van and find something new to occupy my time..
I really cannot see that happening any time soon !!!!!!

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Well I consider life is a big learning curve,it's a road we all travel and learn lessons from,Motorhoming is just a part of it??
image.jpg

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I haven't even got my Motorhome yet (6 weeks to go:clap:), so I guess I will have such a steep learning curve until I even become comfortable / proficient in my own unit let alone the ways of the Motorhomer.:crying1::rolleyes:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Zigi, you will be surprised at how quickly you will pick up far more than just the basics :)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
When I can back out of my drive, without hitting the fence on the other side. Whilst being watched by my wife. She said YOU didn't say about the fence only traffic. I do not trust her much now. God know about driving in France and asking if any cars were coming so I could pull out NO CARS, only a ferkin great lorry.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
You need a bigger gate,and a pair of specks!:Eeek:. Or a smaller van!

As for France, driving with right hand controls,and there tends to be a blind spot when pulling out,being on my own,it is a worry,if anyone has any bright ideas??? Let me know.

In Spain at the moment, when I leave this site on Sunday,I know I will have to turn right,on to a very busy road!,,
When I can back out of my drive, without hitting the fence on the other side. Whilst being watched by my wife. She said YOU didn't say about the fence only traffic. I do not trust her much now. God know about driving in France and asking if any cars were coming so I could pull out NO CARS, only a ferkin great lorry.

How about letting your wife drive,have no problems then?:clap2::clap2:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
As for France, driving with right hand controls,and there tends to be a blind spot when pulling out,being on my own,it is a worry,if anyone has any bright ideas??? Let me know.

In Spain at the moment, when I leave this site on Sunday,I know I will have to turn right,on to a very busy road!,,

If you don't already do it.. try this.

When you approach the junction, stop at the line with your van square to the main road.... don't turn the wheels to the right until you ready to move..

I use that technique in the UK with my LHD

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Will try it Jim
It's a narrow entrance ,good idea thanks,