When and how did you afford to retire? (2 Viewers)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If you wait until you have enough money - you'll never retire.
If you wait for the 'right' time - it will never come.

Getting off the rat race wheel takes some bottle (or a life threatening scare).
Very easy to come up with excuses why you can't do it now, much harder to take the leap into the unknown.

If you have a family, they have to buy into the lifestyle change too.
You also have to have a plan - boredom, lack of purpose will kill you as fast as too much work stress.

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
sold out my business at the age of 50 did a few small things have a private pension which I have not taken yet, some good cash on the side being a rent man for MP's who like to get up to all sorts :D now's where's my whip I have an afternoon appointment :D
now 65 yrs. old the state pension kicks in and i don't have to live on my savings anymore, I suppose I will have to take my private pension soon, and another thing I cant whip as hard as I used to they scream harder but hell I am out of puff :rolleyes:,

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Had a health scare at 50 so retired at 51 using a pension I started when I was only 20. Adjusted our investments allowing my wife to retire 3 years later. My income is the same now as when I was working. That was 12 years ago, never looked back.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I think it depends what you want from retirement and how much you can live with your partner, if you have one.

We will retire early, even if it means on a low/lower than forecasted income.

You can live quite comfortably on much less than people may think. Those that can't do it out of the box, so-to-speak.

I have clients who are incredibly wealthy. For example, one who lives in a 14 bedroom Real Cheshire Mansion, with just his wife. Has holiday homes all over Europe, a Yacht moored in the South-of-France a collection of Rolls Royces dating back to the day he bought his first one in 1985 (he buys a new one every three years) stored in his bespoke dehumidified garages.

This client goes to work in traffic every day at 7am, returns at 7pm. Happy? Content?. He says it is just the way he is wired. His wife jokes; "wired to his secretary".

Other clients who only have a couple of million £ in the bank and a few more in assets who say they "cannot afford to retire just yet".

With good health, £12,000 a year income? £20k? for a couple.

Our council tax is £2,300 a year. I could stay on a campsites and Aires for around £5,000.

Opinions welcome?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Age 54 is no time to start thinking about a pension and retirement, long term planning is the best option unless of course you are very lucky.:)

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
I retired ar 60 on a decent private sector pension + my Navy pension and though I have had several offers to go back to work part time to "just sort out these problems for me Tom, you're just the man to do it, won't take you long"

However I resisted and stayed retired!! now at 73 I don't get any offers of employment nor do I need or want them! :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Left teaching at 54 in 2013, qualified for a reduced early retirement pension at 55, mortgage had been paid off by 2008, but we've managed in the same small house since 1988 so the mortgage never got silly.

Whilst we both have pensions we haven't technically retired, as I have three jobs and my wife has two, but we are able to travel abroad in the MH pretty much when we choose and arrange our jobs around that. We are now looking at making those trips longer and upgrading to a more comfortable MH. The house remains the same :)

I'm quite happy to keep working until either state pension age (66), ill health or insanity, whichever comes first.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I finished up last December at 55 , lost a few close friends all in there 50s and decided time to enjoy life and spend what we have .
My two Step daughters 37 &42 will have the house when we're both gone but I've told them that all are cash savings and investments will be probably be spent .
Transferred the title deeds of the house to the oldest and should I go first my nearest and dearest will move in with the youngest daughter .
We have enough money to last us into our 80s without touching my private or state pensions so we're more or less sorted .
Life is for living and we intend to travel as much as possible

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am giving up in 6 years maximum.

After that I will be a rent boy for the English rugby team.

#busy

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
In 2006 I gave up working, I was 57 .. Jan was 41 .. we sold up and went full time, traveling Europe and UK for over 3 years in a 36ft RV

That had been the plan for many years .. I wanted to do this earlier but plans changed... Chaz was born in 2000, so we waited until she was a bit older before setting off.. Our son Paul also came with us, he was 16 .

We lived on our savings and doing occasion part time work until receiving my private pension at 60, now topped up with state pension.. we now live in lovely quiet village in Suffolk.

It can be done.. you may not be rich but better doing while you can.. but have an exit plan, few live forever in a motorhome. Like us, you may get tired of it, or have to give up for health reasons.. Three years was enough for us.. many do it a lot longer.

Only last week I learned my cousin, younger than me , while on holiday in Spain had dropped down dead while crossing the street .

.. no illness.. heart attack, bang, wallop.. dead.. gone.. age 63 :(

Life is too short.. make a plan and do it..

Same as my younger sister, same age as your cousin, no real illnesses, then started talking gibberish, hospital for tests, wallop, dead in 2 weeks, massive brain tumour, loads a money in the bank for "a rainy day", never made it, live for today we say.!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I am giving up in 6 years maximum.

After that I will be a rent boy for the English rugby team.

#busy

Non starter mate. The England rugby team get to **** Welshmen over pretty regularly without having to pay for it (y):D

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We are waiting for our youngest to finish school in 3 years time we will be 56. I may retire before that though. You know you have had enough when you just dont want to be in job any more. I have a couple of very small private pensions and hubby a bigger one. We plan to sell the house move to a cheaper area and live on the proceeds. :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
long story cut short, a major accident caused by a drunk driver and I was on the scrap heap early. We may not be as rich as many others but live for today. Have owned motorhomes since my 20s and indeed used them to help pay my way by doing them up and selling on. Now living off my capital and legacies left by family members who did not live long enough to enjoy all the money they squirrelled away for retirement. Who knows what tomorrow holds, all I know is that I have enjoyed early retirement despite my disabilities and will continue to do so as long as I can

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Just a word of warning for those waiting for their kids to stop being a financial drain.
It never happens. :eek:

Totally agree! My daughter is in her 5 year of a 6 year course at uni to become a vet. She will be very poorly paid when she qualifies :-(. So planning on helping her with house buying etc when we down size. Also she doesnt want to leave uni as she likes being kept :eek:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Reading this thread is pretty depressing TBH. Just turned 41 so aware that if things keep on as they are I will be working well into my late 60s.. What we need is some proper boom and bust to get our pension value up..

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
I was lucky worked hard got through 2 divorces meet present wife 23years ago and saved dont smoke or drink but was lucky with investments sold my retail shops in cornwall 13weeks ago she has a small pension took the hit to take it early and both packed up.Of to france and spain today till mid late oct taking in moto gp and taking are motorbike trying to live the dream ,do we miss work NO .I have seen more of cornwall in 13weeks than in the last 5 years, work does get in the way of living if you can leave do it and yes it does take planning do it You are only here once.

Dec 16, 2015
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years
Retired last week at 52. Now on our first Motorhome trip with no end date. Heading for Cornwall via the New Forest. Funding with savings for a few years until pensions start to kick in at 55.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
What we need is some proper boom and bust to get our pension value up..

That's why inflation was a good thing for all if managed carefully.
Trouble is that it became the most important thing for the government to eradicate which in my view has caused many of the current issue especially silly house prices as buy to let became so attractive for investment.
Stakeholder type pensions cannot grow without inflation unless someone can reinvent the wheel.

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I retired from teaching at 52 years of age. I just had enough of impossible targets and bureaucratic red tape governed by OFSTED!
Since then, I just dont have enough time in the day, i'm busier than ever!

First motor home is due at the latest by mid October!

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
30 years in the Fire Service. Retired April 2015 and bought a motorhome. Still working two jobs but when I want to. Had trips to Northumberland, Scotland and France this year. France, Spain and Portugal straight after new year. Retirement is fantastic.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
If you wait until you have enough money - you'll never retire.
If you wait for the 'right' time - it will never come.

Getting off the rat race wheel takes some bottle (or a life threatening scare).
Very easy to come up with excuses why you can't do it now, much harder to take the leap into the unknown.

If you have a family, they have to buy into the lifestyle change too.
You also have to have a plan - boredom, lack of purpose will kill you as fast as too much work stress.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!.

In my case a 40yr Old Buddy, got stung by a bee and died of Anafalactic shock in the high street. THAT concentrates the mind!. Add the fact that My dad retired at 65 and never made 66 (stroke). Had my mind made up for me when the Co I worked for, asked me to relocate to Wales!!. Took them almost 2 years to say "OK you can have your Pension early!" (57) Now bugger off!, and stop being a Pest!.

Returned to "Gods Country". Self Built a house, Bought an R-V (first of 2). And did a bit of HGV work on Agency to fill the gaps. Now fully retired, since age 66, We have toured the USA for over 5 years and now have a small Euro-box which we love, and the Wife calls the "Dolls House". I do not regret jumping ship early.

Pete

Pete

Last edited:

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
Payed off the mortgage ASAP by carrying on paying the higher payments that we had on 15 per cent interest rates in the 70's,any wind falls ie free shares from privatisation times ,legacies etc all went to pay it off .Never ever borrowed ,so didn't pay interest rates,if we couldn't afford it we went without.
Always saved for a rainy day,it's hear now so we're enjoying it .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back