When a Motorhome is not stolen but lost (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Just seen a post on facebook, a guy thought his MH had been stolen went home reported it to police, cancelled all his credit cards etc.
Only to be found at the opposite end of the car park he was looking for it in
His comment was"Eh.....we were in the wrong part of the carpark!!! Pair of numties!!! 3 parking tickets!!! £750 in train fares plus cancelled passports and cards etc..but we'll worth the cost of no van or possession ' s. Thanks again to all who shared and gave us support and few good ideas for the "what if " both feeling very humble"

Had to laugh but then at same time felt sorry for him as could happen to the best of us....

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
I've had a tracker fitted to mine just so I can find my way back to it at the end of the night!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
know someone who parked their car in a car park and when she came to get it it wasn't there,:sick: two days later it was miraculously found two streets away in a car park by an old British Legion attendant who attended both car parks :) he said people often get confused .:rolleyes:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Years and years ago (when I had only just started shaving) my girlfriend I "borrowed" her Dads Jaguar XJ6 and parked it in a multi story car park in Newcastle.
After a bit of shopping we went back to the car park to find it gone.
I was shitting myself about telling her Dad his pride and joy had been nicked (he was a Brigadier in the Army) and went to the pay station to report the loss
The attendant asked where we had parked and came with us to see. He then asked if i had checked the floor above and below. There it was It was on the floor below!
I was too relieved to be embarrassed.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I've had a tracker fitted to mine just so I can find my way back to it at the end of the night!

We have just ordered a Tracker for our motorhome should be fitted in a few days by ourselves complete with the usual whistles and bells of engine immobilisation and European tracking

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On a trip to the Florida theme parks in 2004 we discovered the hard way that virtually all the hire cars in Orlando look the same.

We were at Typhoon Lagoon when it was closed for the regular 2pm tropical thunderstorm. As we stepped out into the car park the heavens opened and we realised that every effing hire car looked identical to ours, we hadn't bothered to note its registration and we hadn't taken note of which bay (ie Mickey, Goofy, Pluto etc) we were parked in. Twenty minutes of walking around in the pissing rain before we found it. At least the rain was warm.

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
We were parked in Bruges, Belgium on the side of the road near the river. It was dark when we returned and forgot the exact location of the van. We wandered around the streets for ages trying to figure out how we explain to the Belgium Police when we didn't even know the name of the road when all of a sudden there it was. Such a relief phewww

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i was sat in my car outside a shopping centre waiting for Bren to come back with her shopping. all of a sudden the passenger door opened and an unknown woman started getting in with her bags. boy was she embarrassed when she realised she was getting into the wrong but identical car. what must of gone through her mind when she saw somebody strange in the drivers seat?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I an really glad it has a tracker on mine, that put it on the google-earth map so that I can find it, although it is unlikely I would leave it anyway. We tend to stick close and not go wandering off.. The car however I can lose in Tesco's along with many identical ones. No tracker on that one so I have to keep using the remote.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I must admit I have done the same and gone to the wrong side of the carpark, or even the wrong one,(y) but the first thing that goes through my mind is; am I in the right place, not OMG it's been stolen.:rolleyes: I have used the tracker on the MH before when out in the New Forest, just a guide you know, not cos I was lost.:cautious: Never lost me, just temporarily uncertain of my whereabouts.:D2

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
"Well, if you will keep hiding .........."

CAR PARK 1 (400 x 300).jpg

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
Use iphone 'ipark', its brilliant,

phones connected by blue tooth, when you leave the vehicle it plots your position, your iphone maps will then plot you walking and show you where you are. Go in 'Settings', then 'Maps' then scroll down to 'your car' 'show parked location'....voila, you will no longer be lost in the woods near a lovely pub called the Fox and Goose in Greywell Hampshire.. (o_O)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
When I was about 23 I worked for the old BR and had a yellow BR van, one Saturday I drove up the local shops, bought some food and walked home. Monday morning I go out to get in the van and its not outside our house!! After a bit of head scratching I decided to walk up the shops, and there it was. That was over 40 years ago and I am still just us forgetful.:LOL:

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
i was sat in my car outside a shopping centre waiting for Bren to come back with her shopping. all of a sudden the passenger door opened and an unknown woman started getting in with her bags. boy was she embarrassed when she realised she was getting into the wrong but identical car. what must of gone through her mind when she saw somebody strange in the drivers seat?

Had that happen to me too.
Also, there was an occasion when we ordered a taxi to go to a restaurant. A Skoda Octavia pulled up outside so three of us go out and jump in the car - two in the back, one in the front
I said "The Temple Restaurant Please"
My wife said "This taxi's not very clean is it?"
And the driver said "Its not a taxi!, I'm just turning round"
He must have thought he was being car-jacked!

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
IMG_0911.JPG

BanHam doesn't always make it easy for me though. Playing hide and seek is its favourite game. :rolleyes:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
My mum was useless at remembering where she parked...
Once when I was teenaged, we were wandering about the car park after coming back from shopping, then she had a right go at me, shouting screaming that I was deliberately not telling her where we'd parked...
She'd also forgotten that she'd dropped me off in the city centre before parking the car :rolleyes:.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
In my teens I worked at the Pit and I went to work on my motorbike, no helmets them days.
I finished my shift got showered and got on the Pit bus home,
My father said what's happened to your bike then the penny dropped.

John.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
In my teens I worked at the Pit and I went to work on my motorbike, no helmets them days.
I finished my shift got showered and got on the Pit bus home,
My father said what's happened to your bike then the penny dropped.

John.

Which pit did you work at?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Just seen a post on facebook, a guy thought his MH had been stolen went home reported it to police, cancelled all his credit cards etc.
Only to be found at the opposite end of the car park he was looking for it in
His comment was"Eh.....we were in the wrong part of the carpark!!! Pair of numties!!! 3 parking tickets!!! £750 in train fares plus cancelled passports and cards etc..but we'll worth the cost of no van or possession ' s. Thanks again to all who shared and gave us support and few good ideas for the "what if " both feeling very humble"

Had to laugh but then at same time felt sorry for him as could happen to the best of us....
Wasn't called Mr Buttons, perchance? :confused:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
@Silver-Fox I did 5 years started at Florence Colliery aged 15 and finished at Wolstanton said to be the dearest Pit in Europe, I left and went into the gas industry aged 20.

John.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Years and years ago (when I had only just started shaving) my girlfriend I "borrowed" her Dads Jaguar XJ6 and parked it in a multi story car park in Newcastle.
After a bit of shopping we went back to the car park to find it gone.
I was shitting myself about telling her Dad his pride and joy had been nicked (he was a Brigadier in the Army) and went to the pay station to report the loss
The attendant asked where we had parked and came with us to see. He then asked if i had checked the floor above and below. There it was It was on the floor below!
I was too relieved to be embarrassed.

I did the same thing couple of weeks after passing my test. My small son was in tears thinking the car had been stolen. What threw me was in the spot where I thought I'd parked, car of the same colour as I remembered was parked to one side and "my" spot was empty.
Then I thought to walk up a floor.........

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
RoadPro sat-dome helps me locate the van. On a side note, parked at Amsterdam City Camp at present following a night at the Bruges aire. So much cheaper than when I've stayed in hotels.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I managed to 'lose' my new car in the crew carpark... but to be fair it was about a week later :whistle:.
The problem was that my old car had a fairly distinctive wing/boot profile which was spotable from a distance but the new car was a typical bland rep-mobile & totally indistinguishable from all the other hundreds parked there :(.
When I did eventually find it... I realised that I'd probably walked passed it about half a dozen times :doh:.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back