Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
My new to me motorhome has steel wheels, my previous one had alloy wheels, apart from the aesthetic appeal, which is not appreciated whilst I am inside the motorhome, I can discern no benefit for having alloy wheels but perhaps there is a Funster who can explain the pros and cons of alloy wheels.

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Very small difference in weight is the only advantage, more like keeping up with the Jone's

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
If intending to fit snow chains alloy wheels may be damaged. So I would stick with steel wheels just in case I actually use them one day rather than just taking thrm with me....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
There's also the school of thought, that if damaged, Steel wheels might be knocked back into shape...

My bling on Steel wheels.
IMG_20180305_142236.jpg

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Alloys also get damaged easily by careless tyre fitters and mechanics. Trying to get them to admit causing scratch damage and pay is another world of hassle I don't need.

Alloys are also prone to cracks caused by potholes. The snowflake pattern ones are terrible for this. Nothing like the bombproof mag alloys I had on my old rally Mini.

I just wish steel wheels had more protective paint.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I can discern no benefit for having alloy wheels .

Just looks.

Steel has a huge benefit, in an emergency if you hit something, like a brick dropped on a corner, tyre off hammer rim, fixed. Or just a dab of paint if you kerb them parking.

Alloys were introduced for racing, racing on smooth surfaces so were thin and light. Scale up to the real work and they are no longer light and a constant source of worry lest you scratch them.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would go for steel and Stainless trim's out of choice, when you spec an IVECO chassis with front air they say that you have to have alloys to give you the spacing away from the air bag BUT you can do it with spacers I believe, the trouble with alloys on IVECO chassis is that you get alloy front and steel rears with matching alloy trims and then you need to mess about with removing spacers and different bolts if you have to change a tyre and use the steel spare:mad: KISS

Martin

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you get alloy front and steel rears with matching alloy trims and then you need to mess about with removing spacers and different bolts if you have to change a tyre and use the steel spare:mad:
Which again means in reality you need an alloy spare if you can't fit a steel wheel to the front....and a spare set of suitable bolts to fit the rears if the alloy spare is fitted to the rear. Steel and alloy wheel bolts are seldom the same.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
There's also the school of thought, that if damaged, Steel wheels might be knocked back into shape...

My bling on Steel wheels.View attachment 218021
By the look of your van it's an Autocruise? Are they bling hub caps and if so I would like the same as we have a Starspirit.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I am not sure the perceived wisdom about damaging alloys necessarily applies to motorhomes. Most of the problems are with low profile tyres which also have relatively low tyre pressures. That does not offer much protection if a pothole is hit (been there etc). But most motorhomes have much higher profiles and pressures, so a lot more protection. Same with scuffing on kerbs. Most kerbs I park against are not high enough to touch the alloy bit.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
By the look of your van it's an Autocruise? Are they bling hub caps and if so I would like the same as we have a Starspirit.
It's an Autosleeper Inca 2004 model on a Peugeot Boxer chassis, it has 15" wheels.
The wheel trims are plastic bought from ebay, but do not seem to be available now, they're not designed for boxer wheels (not enough 'dish'), but I modified them to fit without any trouble..
Similar items here.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-UNIV...306829&hash=item5b3d424315:g:oYwAAOSwRqBZnB6-

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Which again means in reality you need an alloy spare if you can't fit a steel wheel to the front....and a spare set of suitable bolts to fit the rears if the alloy spare is fitted to the rear. Steel and alloy wheel bolts are seldom the same.
You can get away with one steel spare but you have to remove the adapter if its the front and then the rear stud spacing will fit with the standard rim, or something like that(y) just added complication in my book.

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Which means they are changing the wheels offset and putting extra load on the front bearings.
Wonder if that's included in the C of C.
Correct, its all TUV approved and you get a certificate to say so I believe.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had alloys on our first van looked nice but unless the surface on the hub has been greased or coppersilped before fitting they are an absolute pig to get off. Also if you do kerb or damage an alloy you should have it X rayed for cracks. Had steel on the last 2 vans no inclination to go back to alloys.

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
My Rapido came on alloys, rear wheel kept losing air between tyre and rim, so now in back of the garage, and fitted new set of steels.

Reactions: TCG
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
There's only 1lb weight difference between my alloys and the steel spare and as I weighed them ages ago, I can't remember which one is the heavier (n)
I got the alloys bead blasted and powder coated 3 years ago and the hub areas are looking scruffy already.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I run a Land Rover Defender as well as a Motor Home. I'm not a big fan of Alloy wheels. They look nice when they are new but can easily get damaged and they do corrode. Steel can be beaten back into shape if you accidentally damage them.( Only a temporary measure to get you home as balancing will be out) Alloy you can't. When Alloy wheels get damaged they crack. If you curb a steel wheel a new set of wheel trims is not too expensive and will give you a new look where as Alloys its probably a new wheel.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Now here's something that might help people, I'm far from savvy about some things and last year I had a blowout on a duel carriage way in Portugal, alloys all round so got the spare out which I'd double checked was ok before leaving UK. Fitted it with a bit of trouble then only to find I'd should of used smaller bolts. Costly mistake ended up getting towed away. Now got correct replacement bolts (smaller) tiewrapped to spare. So easy to check if you have alloys check that your spare is a alloy or if not that you have the correct bolts.
Flame away lol

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back