Wheel Trims - This may be stating the obvious but just in case there's one person yet to know (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
We've been away for a few weeks and came home to find a lone wheel trim tucked in the corner of our front garden. I assume it came free from a passing car and rolled, or was blown, to it's final resting place.

That reminded me....... I've seen a good number of wheel trimmed motorhomes roaming around without the trims being secured to the wheel with a couple of cable/zip ties. One of the most effective and low cost money savers for motorists in general. (Of course, this is only of interest to those of us who can't afford alloys :) )
Lose one trim and it'll cost you a new set and you'll end up with 3 more, probably mismatching, in your garage for the rest of your lives.
:)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We've been away for a few weeks and came home to find a lone wheel trim tucked in the corner of our front garden. I assume it came free from a passing car and rolled, or was blown, to it's final resting place.

That reminded me....... I've seen a good number of wheel trimmed motorhomes roaming around without the trims being secured to the wheel with a couple of cable/zip ties. One of the most effective and low cost money savers for motorists in general. (Of course, this is only of interest to those of us who can't afford alloys :) )
Lose one trim and it'll cost you a new set and you'll end up with 3 more, probably mismatching, in your garage for the rest of your lives.
:)

Hang the spare 3 from sticks in the garden to scare the pigeons off your cabbages ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Nah, if you do buy a new set then sell the old ones on Ebay ... so others can just buy one! :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
cable tied wheel trims/hub caps are a menace....you cant check the wheelnuts or even see if one has come loose. first thing many motorists know is when a wheel falls off or destabilises the vehicle as it speeds down the road

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I lost a wheeltrim off my twin-axle caravan once. Travelling around, I was delighted to find one lying by the side of a cattle grid. Sadly, when I replaced it, I noticed that it wasn’t the same shade as the neighbouring one. It wasn’t until I was packing up that I noticed that the one I’d recovered had come off the other side.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Good intentions appreciated (y).

However I've never had one come off anything ever - and I've never used cable ties. Why should they come off?

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Surely they're designed to stay on. I do have cable ties on but that is to make it a little more difficult for someone to steal them.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
And also polished stainless steel wheels. The realy impressive thing is that in six years I've managed, so far, to not kerb them. :)
That chance of kerbing an alloy on a motorhome is highly unlikely. I find that polished alloys with low profiles are a nightmare.:(

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I lost the number plate off my trailer on a known short route. ...couple of miles to the tip.
Chuffed to bits when i found it in the gutter on the way back......except it wasnt mine :(

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Some time ago .. long time... there was a feature with Judy and Richard on This Morning television and they gave ideas what to do with all the wheel trims lying round in the road.

............ but I can't remember what it was. :( .. sorry.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Nipple piercings in Cornwall Mr B

OTE="buttons, post: 2260890, member: 8178"]I think they use them as ear rings in Essex......:whistle:[/QUOTE]

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We heard that wheel trims in your garden is the hi-tec alternative to Pampas Grass. And we all know what that means, don't we boys and girls ?

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
IMG_0074.JPG
That chance of kerbing an alloy on a motorhome is highly unlikely.

Highly unlikely. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
There must be a small money making opportunity here;

Set up a 'Swap Shop' website for wheel trims.

A small charge for the enquirer.
A small reward for the finder.
Sponsorship from some car or car accessory firms.

Side effect, people will be clearing up the roadsides collecting the trims.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
There must be a small money making opportunity here;

Set up a 'Swap Shop' website for wheel trims.

A small charge for the enquirer.
A small reward for the finder.
Sponsorship from some car or car accessory firms.

Side effect, people will be clearing up the roadsides collecting the trims.

It's a nice idea BUT......
I wonder if, once the roadside has been cleared, attention might be turned to trims still attached to vehicles? :whistle:

Wyn

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The type of wheel trims I have, I consider a pain particularly with Tyre Pal. The trims are fitted before the wheel nuts obviously so that the trim is secure but once fitted, Tyre Pal becomes nigh impossible to do. If I leave the Tyre Pal off, then I can get the adapter in to inflate. However, trying to put the Tyre Pal on when wheel trim in place is, well horrendous. So, I could either forego using the Tyre Pal system (which cost £75.00) or changing the wheel trims.
If I struggled to use the system as is, yes it's awkward to remove all the nuts, remove the Tyre Pal, do the pressure, put Tyre Pal in place then put all wheel nuts on then the other 3 wheels. Ok, not stupid but if Tyre Pal alarm activates then to put pressure in the required tyre would mean the same action. Putting air in is supposed to be a quick job but this would take time and if at roadside, could be dangerous to the point of lethal (but wouldn't have to put wheel nuts back on again I suppose). So ideally I think another set of wheel trims but any suggestions out there please.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
The type of wheel trims I have, I consider a pain particularly with Tyre Pal. The trims are fitted before the wheel nuts obviously so that the trim is secure but once fitted, Tyre Pal becomes nigh impossible to do. If I leave the Tyre Pal off, then I can get the adapter in to inflate. However, trying to put the Tyre Pal on when wheel trim in place is, well horrendous. So, I could either forego using the Tyre Pal system (which cost £75.00) or changing the wheel trims.
If I struggled to use the system as is, yes it's awkward to remove all the nuts, remove the Tyre Pal, do the pressure, put Tyre Pal in place then put all wheel nuts on then the other 3 wheels. Ok, not stupid but if Tyre Pal alarm activates then to put pressure in the required tyre would mean the same action. Putting air in is supposed to be a quick job but this would take time and if at roadside, could be dangerous to the point of lethal (but wouldn't have to put wheel nuts back on again I suppose). So ideally I think another set of wheel trims but any suggestions out there please.
I take it you mean the Allen screws that hold the TyrePal's tight.
They are an absolute pain to fit or remove on mine too so next time I remove them I won't use the allen screws again.
I'm told that they are not really necessary to keep the sensors in place, only to stop them being nicked........unless anyone knows better.

Richard.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Many years and 3 or 4 motorhomes ago I had wheel trims, but these were bolted on. 5 bolts held the wheel on and the wheeltrim would slip over them, the last one also held the wheel trim on. Might have been the other way round, it was a long time ago.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back