Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Drove our motorhome for the first time in about 6 weeks and heard a slight rumbling noise from the front. Up to 50 mph and it sounded like a distant jet engine taking off so took it into the garage. It was the wheel bearings. They've just called to say that with 20 ton of pressure from the machine that pops them out and they won't budge. They're taking it to a heavy commercial garage to try up to 35 tons! He just wanted to warn me that something might break and that the bill could well be huge.
This is a 5 year old Fiat Ducato with only 25k on the clock. We've already had to have the clutch replaced. Feeling dismayed ...:whatthe:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Another case where the "like" button is inappropriate.

I hope the bearing pops out with no problems and no collateral damage.

A letter to Fiat might be worthwhile - this just shouldn't happen on a newish vehicle with very few miles on the clock.

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
my auto trail fiat ducato bearings went at the weekend as well

whole lot smashed up hub the lot,,, iv just bought complete left and right full assembly
i managed to extract bearings and hub with the correct tool im sure the guys are doing the correct job. cant think of what they could break if its solid i would hit with heat then extract,, what is huge bill bearing full replacement on one side should be around £2000,00 +vat maybe £60 more depending where you are in the uk no more than that,, good luck,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
whole lot smashed up hub the lot,,, iv just bought complete left and right full assembly
i managed to extract bearings and hub with the correct tool im sure the guys are doing the correct job. cant think of what they could break if its solid i would hit with heat then extract,, what is huge bill bearing full replacement on one side should be around £2000,00 +vat maybe £60 more depending where you are in the uk no more than that,, good luck,

2 grand for a wheel bearing:Eeek::Eeek: more than many vans are worth:Sad:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
There are several different tpyes of front wheel bearings used on Ducatos, which one you have will depend on which weight category the original chassis falls into. The "14 Heavy" chassis has a dual ball race bearing with a one piece outer housing which is both inner and outer races for the two ball races. This bearing is about 3.5" diameter and similar depth and will need to be pressed out with a hydraulic press. Most of the ones I've done have taken around 6 tonnes of pressure to shift them but I did have one that took the full ten tonnes of my press and still no signs of movement. I applied heat in moderation and waited......................no joy. Let it cool down then tried the heat again, this time applying a bit more and waited...................nothing. Grabbed a coffee and stood looking at it for a minute or two contemplating my next step. Then suddenly and with the loudest bang you could imagine it gave in and shifted! After I'd cleaned up the coffee it only took about 1/2 tonne to finish removing the bearing.

The risk is if it doesn't come out you could damage the hub carrier and end up replacing it. The hub carrier does need to be mounted perfectly horizontal in the press or the force applied will be going into distorting the carrier rather than moving the bearing.

D.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
There are several different tpyes of front wheel bearings used on Ducatos, which one you have will depend on which weight category the original chassis falls into. The "14 Heavy" chassis has a dual ball race bearing with a one piece outer housing which is both inner and outer races for the two ball races. This bearing is about 3.5" diameter and similar depth and will need to be pressed out with a hydraulic press. Most of the ones I've done have taken around 6 tonnes of pressure to shift them but I did have one that took the full ten tonnes of my press and still no signs of movement. I applied heat in moderation and waited......................no joy. Let it cool down then tried the heat again, this time applying a bit more and waited...................nothing. Grabbed a coffee and stood looking at it for a minute or two contemplating my next step. Then suddenly and with the loudest bang you could imagine it gave in and shifted! After I'd cleaned up the coffee it only took about 1/2 tonne to finish removing the bearing.

The risk is if it doesn't come out you could damage the hub carrier and end up replacing it. The hub carrier does need to be mounted perfectly horizontal in the press or the force applied will be going into distorting the carrier rather than moving the bearing.

D.

I know the 'bang' you are talking about. Mine was recently pressed out in a local haulage company workshop. All the fitters gathered round as it was not budging and when it did go some of them actually ran for cover! :ROFLMAO:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Its easy with the right tools apparently

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXLvVkrA5dw"]Replacing of front wheel bearing Peugeot Boxer / Citroen Jumper / Fiat Ducato 1091-17 - YouTube[/ame]

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I'm sure it is that easy with a couple of grands worth of fancy hydraulic kit and no bodywork, driveshafts, steering gear or ten years worth of road grot to deal with. Sadly I live and work in the real world and not in a video studio where everything is pristine and brand new.:cry: Oh yeah, and off the vehicle already:ROFLMAO:

D.

Hence the apparently :winky:

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Hope it all gets sorted out soon and is not too expensive.

Strangely enough we were just talking about you both last night as hadn't seen you post for ages and wondered if you were on holiday in Europe.

Kath and Howie

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I know the 'bang' you are talking about. Mine was recently pressed out in a local haulage company workshop. All the fitters gathered round as it was not budging and when it did go some of them actually ran for cover! :ROFLMAO:

Its one of those moments when you discover you can actually breathe IN through yer bum::bigsmile::Eeek:::bigsmile:

D.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When we got our mh it came with bills for work done, one of them is for new wheel bearing and compleat set of front brakes, labour £266 parts £221 plus vat total £585 and that's from a Peugeot dealer in bilston:thumb:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I'm sure it is that easy with a couple of grands worth of fancy hydraulic kit and no bodywork, driveshafts, steering gear or ten years worth of road grot to deal with. Sadly I live and work in the real world and not in a video studio where everything is pristine and brand new.:cry: Oh yeah, and off the vehicle already:ROFLMAO:

D.

i looked at one on youtube how to change your bath taps and the bath was in the middle of the room
actually the best one is wheeler dealers on telly where his always got a mate to do a quick respray for a couple of hundred quid or the interior for a bmw for £30

Last edited:

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
your falling in love wae the like button,,,,,,

Another case where the "like" button is inappropriate.

I hope the bearing pops out with no problems and no collateral damage.

A letter to Fiat might be worthwhile - this just shouldn't happen on a newish vehicle with very few miles on the clock.

AGAIN,,:RollEyes:

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
Sorry ment to say£200.00

2 grand for a wheel bearing:Eeek::Eeek: more than many vans are worth:Sad:
WHAT A TIT,,,, I AM,,
2K WHAT WIZ AH THINKIN,,,,

SORRY £200 AT THE MOST,,,,,,THAT WOULD BE A GARAGE CHARGING VAT,,,,:cry:

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
Sorry sorry sorry £200.00 thats wjat i ment

AGAIN you must think im a $%£$^*()(&*^%^*(*^,,,,,,,(*&^^%^%$$^:shout:

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Drove our motorhome for the first time in about 6 weeks and heard a slight rumbling noise from the front. Up to 50 mph and it sounded like a distant jet engine taking off so took it into the garage. It was the wheel bearings. They've just called to say that with 20 ton of pressure from the machine that pops them out and they won't budge. They're taking it to a heavy commercial garage to try up to 35 tons! He just wanted to warn me that something might break and that the bill could well be huge.
This is a 5 year old Fiat Ducato with only 25k on the clock. We've already had to have the clutch replaced. Feeling dismayed ...:whatthe:

tell the garage?? too warm up the bearing housing with an acetylene torch first:Cool:

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
tell the garage?? too warm up the bearing housing with an acetylene torch first:Cool:

They told me they'd used heat... anyway the outcome isn't great. It was sent to another garage who used 40 tons of pressure and the carrier broke. They had told me in advance that this might happen. They've sourced another one from a breakers yard and it will be fixed on Monday once it arrives. The bill might be up there near Geo's typo at this rate. Feeling despondent :cry:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
it should be nowhere near the typo....theres plenty of low mileage spare parts about and even on ebay. a replacement is going to cost about £100 plus new bearing, plus fitting. the big part of the bill comes from most garages charging about £50+vat per hour, which very quickly adds up. the worst I saw somebody charged was £100+vat per hour, but that was a rip off

if the bill comes to more than £500 i would seriously challenge it as no way should it get to that level, as the job just doesnt take that long in the workshop

radioray

Free Member
Feb 20, 2014
Lydney
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004
Wheel bearing problems

Hi All
I had the rumbling start on the way to Portugal in 2010 and getting louder by the day, but they did last until we got back to UK (noise was so loud we couldnt hear the radio) I purchased a pair of replacement wheel bearings from my local supplier (Double roller type) £63.35 each inc vat. My local car engineer had a 10 ton press and did the job with my assistance for £90.00. It does seperate with a bit of a bang!
In 2013 in France in torrential rain and flood water the rumbling started again. there doesn't seem to be a good seal on the bearing to stop water ingress. When back in UK purchased new set of bearings except this time I bought two different makes one SNR and the other FAG
to see which one fared better if it happens again. parts and labour and my assistance still less than £300.00.
Fiat make a portable hydraulic bearing removal tool which would make the whole job much simpler as it can be done in situ. (the tool is probably expensive!)
My MH is Autosleeper 2004 Peugeot 3.8

good luck Ray

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back