Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
I had to replace a front left hand wheel bearing in Portugal in March 2007 at 44,600 miles. The same bearing has gone again after only 11,500 miles.:Sad:

My little man is going to investigate; in the mean time does anybody have any thoughts on the subject.:Smile:

Regards

Don

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I had to replace a front left hand wheel bearing in Portugal in March 2007 at 44,600 miles. The same bearing has gone again after only 11,500 miles.:Sad:

My little man is going to investigate; in the mean time does anybody have any thoughts on the subject.:Smile:

Regards

Don

Was there still grease in the bearing Don?Any signs of overheating on the bearing surfaces? Manufacturer supplied or 3rd party?

You say it has gone.Was the bearing running rough and breaking up?

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Was there still grease in the bearing Don?Any signs of overheating on the bearing surfaces? Manufacturer supplied or 3rd party?

You say it has gone.Was the bearing running rough and breaking up?

Both bearings went the same way, rumbling noise gradually getting louder. The bearing fitted in Portugal was a manufacturers one fitted by a reputable garage.

Due to age and disability I'm way passed checking out these things.

We have an excellent little man in the village who is working on it now.

Don

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Both bearings went the same way, rumbling noise gradually getting louder. The bearing fitted in Portugal was a manufacturers one fitted by a reputable garage.

Due to age and disability I'm way passed checking out these things.

We have an excellent little man in the village who is working on it now.

Don

I was just wondering whether the brake might be binding on that side causing loss of grease, overheat of the bearing and failure, but I'm sure they would have checked this when it was fitted.

Just a thought, Is the wheel/tyre balanced ok?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
W

Wilbury

Deleted User
Hi,
I have read about this several times before, it was always attributed to lack of lubricant.
It may also be due to Fiat under spcifying the bearing as they do seem to under design things to produce a vehicle at the lowest possible price.
Wilbury

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
I was just wondering whether the brake might be binding on that side causing loss of grease, overheat of the bearing and failure, but I'm sure they would have checked this when it was fitted.

Just a thought, Is the wheel/tyre balanced ok?

I had new tyres fitted all round last October and all the wheels were balanced. I'm hoping when they start working they might come up with a cause. :Smile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I had new tyres fitted all round last October and all the wheels were balanced. I'm hoping when they start working they might come up with a cause. :Smile:

Hiya Don,

I would be very interested what they find.:thumb:

Strange the Right-hand one isn't failing.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Don it could be down to just over or under tightening :Sad: just one thing ,when you hear the rumbeling you will know to get it fixed / tightened quickly before any more give up the ghost :thumb:
terry

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Once it's rumbling it's knackered I'm afraid. I also think aren't these bearings all in one like most front wheel drives, I know golfs and peugeots are anyway never had anthing to do with heavier vehicles!

Did the van pull to the left at all Don?

Regards pat

OP
OP
Don Madge

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Once it's rumbling it's knackered I'm afraid. I also think aren't these bearings all in one like most front wheel drives, I know golfs and peugeots are anyway never had anthing to do with heavier vehicles!

Did the van pull to the left at all Don?

Regards pat
Hi Pat,

van never pulled to the left.

Collected the van, they checked it over and there was no obvious reason for the bearing going. The opinion is it's either a faulty bearing or it could have been put on incorrectly.

If anybody would like to inspect the old bearing I'll have it at the Malvern and Shepton Shows.

For those interested the bearing cost £90.61, Labour £98.00 plus VAT £221.62

Don

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Don keep the bearing ,there is a number on it ,take it to a bearing supply co,and they will supply new ones at a fraction of the cost :thumb: the way you are going through them,carry a couple of spares :cry: :ROFLMAO:
terry

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi Don, not sure how many bearings you have gone through are they all the same wheel? The reason I ask is that many years ago I had a wobbly wheel and tightened the wheelnut but wheel still wobbled, so got a new bearing and set it up correctly, wheel still wobbled, It turned out to be a worn shaft, just a thought and worth a check. If having it done in a garage you may find they are overtightening to try and cure a worn shaft,:Doh::Doh:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We are currently awaiting the report on a wheel bearing failing prematurely on a fiat based Motor home that we fitted for a member of this forum, there appears to be conflicting information and parts listings for these vehicles, Fiat it appears don't know what should be there as their drawings are incomplete, the problem it has been suggested revolves around the fitting and measuring of a shim that may or may not be fitted, that regulates the bearing preload, both myself and the owner opted for Timmkin bearings given the quality and reputation, the disappointment of an early failure was not anticipated, these were two part tapered units and the fitting method appears to fly in the face of normal practise for this type of unit, it would appear at first glance that a damaged oil seal has contributed to the failure, but what caused the overheating to thin the grease so that it escaped is the question I want answering
I will keep you posted
Geo

Last edited:
V

vicdicdoc

Deleted User
My little 'Peter Russek' manual for 1997 Fiat Ducato states that there are spacer shims [of various thickness] - have your garage / mechanic check if there was one in your bearing setup, also what the hub nut was torqued too.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We are currently awaiting the report on a wheel bearing failing prematurely on a fiat based Motor home that we fitted for a member of this forum, there appears to be conflicting information and parts listings for these vehicles, Fiat it appears don't know what should be there as their drawings are incomplete, the problem it has been suggested revolves around the fitting and measuring of a shim that may or may not be fitted, that regulates the bearing preload, both myself and the owner opted for Timmkin bearings given the quality and reputation, the disappointment of an early failure was not anticipated, these were two part tapered units and the fitting method appears to fly in the face of normal practise for this type of unit, it would appear at first glance that a damaged oil seal has contributed to the failure, but what caused the overheating to thin the grease so that it escaped is the question I want answering
I will keep you posted
Geo
Aha so they were overheating...

I have never had problems with timken bearings which, as you know, have a very good reputation .

You may well have hit upon the problem with the bearing shims.:thumb:Drawings Incomplete???:Doh:

It's crazy that Fiat haven't addressed this problem as they must have had a succession of failures if this is the case.:Angry:

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
........also what the hub nut was torqued too.
And that's undoubtedly the key question/answer.

Too loose, and the bearing will 'wobble'. Too tight, and the bearing is being crushed through too much pressure. Either way it will burn out through over heating within the kind of distance you are getting.

That torque figure is one of the most important and has to be precise. Not close to or 'near enough'.....it must be precise to the manufacturers spec.

Also ensure branded quality bearings are used. Settling for 'pattern make' is a false economy.

Another part to examine is the condition of the drive shaft thread (where the hub nut goes). If that thread is worn or damaged in any way, then you are looking at replacing the drive shaft as the hub nut won't be able to 'seat' correctly when fully torqued up. Likewise with the hub nut itself. Ensure the condition of the thread in that is sound.

W

Wilbury

Deleted User
Hi Don,
Is there any chance that you could inform me of the bearing number please.
Many Thanks
Wilbury

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Just replaed my OS front today. Bit of a score in it and now the rumbling hsa gone ::bigsmile:

Only 27k miles. I suspect just a weak part.

Easy enough job.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Just replaed my OS front today. Bit of a score in it and now the rumbling hsa gone ::bigsmile:

Only 27k miles. I suspect just a weak part.

Easy enough job.

Nice one.:thumb:As you say Easy enough as long as you follow the installation and torque settings and very satisfying to know it's sorted.::bigsmile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I had a reoccurring problem with a car many years ago, I turned out to be a worn/ undesize shaft allowing movement that would not normally be there. Good luck getting it sorted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back