Wheel Alignment Check (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Picked up new Ducato based Pilote MH, a couple of weeks ago and have been going through the manuals and paperwork. Have just noticed, in the warranty information, that "It is essential that the wheel alignment is checked after 900 Miles (1500 km)", otherwise the warranty would be invalidated. Now, aside from the fact that no one at the Dealers saw fit to mention this so that I have had to find out myself, I was wondering if this was the norm? I can't find a mention of it in the Fiat servicing book or manual.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Like Andy I have never heard of that ,but then again I tend not too read the small print:rolleyes: but if that is what it says then I would do it and make sure it is documented.
Brian & Jo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Picked up new Ducato based Pilote MH, a couple of weeks ago and have been going through the manuals and paperwork. Have just noticed, in the warranty information, that "It is essential that the wheel alignment is checked after 900 Miles (1500 km)", otherwise the warranty would be invalidated. Now, aside from the fact that no one at the Dealers saw fit to mention this so that I have had to find out myself, I was wondering if this was the norm? I can't find a mention of it in the Fiat servicing book or manual.
Surely, if that's specified for that mileage, then it will be part of your first 'free' service/safety check?? o_O

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
Hi Arzedby
Having also got a 12 month old Pilote "A" class and never seeing such information. What model is yours, and were in the paperwork did you find this. I am most interested in this due to having new VB comfort front coil springs fitted next week.
Colin

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
To be honest I did not believe that the wheel alignment is adjustable
I thought that all the suspension parts dictated the correct castor camber etc
There is no reason why toe in out would vary from initial manufacture unless a collision had occurred

OP
OP
Arzedby
Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Colin.
It is a P650C. I bought through Davan nr Weston Super Mare. It is one of the Warranty Conditions stated on the Pilote Manufacturers Warranty Certificate.

"Warning! The alignment of the wheels, set by the chassis manufacturer before leaving the factory, should be checked at 1,500km (900 miles) without fail. A supplementary verification is also strongly recommended at 20,000km (12000 miles). The cost for such check-ups shall be borne by the user."

The first Fiat Service is not required until 2 years or 48000km (30000 miles). I don't believe there is a "First free service/safety check" as such. I will be getting it done of course, but it not something I have come across before. But then I have never owned a brand new Motorhome before either.
::bigsmile:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Is is it in the Pilote manual or the Fiat one?
Might be specific to the Fiat Van rather than the Motorhone which may have a different chassis - I'd suggest asking the dealer if you're unsure.

OP
OP
Arzedby
Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Colin.
It is a P650C. I bought through Davan nr Weston Super Mare. It is one of the Warranty Conditions stated on the Pilote Manufacturers Warranty Certificate.

"Warning! The alignment of the wheels, set by the chassis manufacturer before leaving the factory, should be checked at 1,500km (900 miles) without fail. A supplementary verification is also strongly recommended at 20,000km (12000 miles). The cost for such check-ups shall be borne by the user."

The first Fiat Service is not required until 2 years or 48000km (30000 miles). I don't believe there is a "First free service/safety check" as such. I will be getting it done of course, but it not something I have come across before. But then I have never owned a brand new Motorhome before either.

I have also now found the same warning in the Pilote User Manual provided with the MH. It is in the " Discover your motorhome" section at the front of the Base - Chassis subsection witha big Red Triangle and exclamation mark to make sure it is not missed. According to the symbol code in the manual, this is a warning of risk or injury. "if you ignore this remark, you may place other people in danger."

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Sounds like one of those Fiat ploys to throw crumbs to main dealers
So they are saying just in case we didn't assemble it right at the factory you must have it checked at YOUR expense
UNBELIEVABLE

OP
OP
Arzedby
Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
I haven't found any reference to it in the Fiat servicing information. I will book it into my Fiat service center and ask them if they think it is necessary.

I guess Pilote could be saying that excessive vibrations caused by incorrect wheel alignment could cause damage to the MH coachbuilt and appliances.

Ray

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Funny coincidence
On our new Carthago the ride wasn't as good as I expected.

A visit to a commercial tyre depot discovered incorrect wheel alignment and incorrect wheel balancing
The tyre pressures recommended by Carthago and the pressures used by the dealer (which were different) were also incorrect, according to the tyre manufacturers

With these three issuea corrected, the ride is amazingly good

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
So if all the above is correct. Why do most "A" class coach built manufacturers use the standard front suspension which bottoms out or runs on the bump stops. Therefore restricting the suspension travel which cause vibration and a rougher ride. I think Hymer now fit updated coil springs on new models to overcome this.
Again I have found that most MH converters recommend a much higher tyre pressure than the tyre manufacturer recommends resulting in a much harsher ride.
With regard to the measurement of the tracking, caster and camber this can alter with a vehicle being lightly loaded are heavily loaded.
Colin

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
So if all the above is correct. Why do most "A" class coach built manufacturers use the standard front suspension which bottoms out or runs on the bump stops. Therefore restricting the suspension travel which cause vibration and a rougher ride. I think Hymer now fit updated coil springs on new models to overcome this.
Again I have found that most MH converters recommend a much higher tyre pressure than the tyre manufacturer recommends resulting in a much harsher ride.

Colin
Not sure I can agree with that, from my limited experience. The highest pressures were recommended by Fiat, rather than the converter, with both of my motorhomes. My new A class Hymer had uprated springs at the front as part of a package specced by the dealer - but AFAIK that was so it could run at 4.5t. Certainly not running on bump stops and with us fully loaded and fuelled it has over 400kg to spare on the maximum axle load at the front, but only 90kg to spare on the back axle. That is why the tyre pressure on the front are about 20psi less than that on the back.

In my experience with a long rear overhang and a big tempting garage it is always much easier to overload the rear axle than the front. Short of strapping our scooter to the front bumper I can't see anyway I can get anywhere near the front axle's maximum load.

The only time we have had vibrations, or a rougher/harsher ride was when we were driving on Italy's (and some of the UK's!) potholed and broken roads.

Riftzoner

Free Member
Feb 17, 2021
Whitby Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696D
Exp
I bought a Pilote P696D new March 2020 & it’s quite specific at 900 miles & recheck at 1200 miles. I contacted a local tyre depot as Fiat Professional said they don’t do it as it’s not worth their while & they want £60 For a front wheel only alignment. And that’s for each visit! My local car dealership will fully 4 way laser line my MX-5 for £120.
The Pilote documentation is quite specific & also lists it as part of the 2 year warranty as a mandatory owner cost action to be supported with evidence & confirmation of where &when the work was carried out! Fiat on the other hand only recommend it in their handbook.

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Ducato / Boxer van base - don't all vehicles need a wheel alignment from time to time. Regular vibrations, pot holes and normal road use can knock your steering geometry? Normal wear and tear?
My vehicle purchases are usually taken straight to a wheel alignment centre (Fiat 500, Toyota Auris SR, Vauxhall Astra, Honda Jazz, Skoda Roomster) - not necessarily my own cars as people occasionally ask me to source a vehicle for them. ALL but the Skoda needed a tweak to the alignment and the Auris in particular had scrubbed one tyre to zero tread but trust me, when driving felt absolutely fine!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
To be honest I did not believe that the wheel alignment is adjustable
I thought that all the suspension parts dictated the correct castor camber etc
There is no reason why toe in out would vary from initial manufacture unless a collision had occurred
Castor and camber are set by suspension geometry and not usually adjustable but track has to be adjustable.
track rod ball joints wear.
If they can't be adjusted that would mean a new rack or at least new track rods which is unnessesary and expensive for a degree or two out of alignment due to normal wear.

Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T68 XV.
Exp
Interesting as I am about to get our Sunlight tracked, as it tramlines terribly not just due to the difference in the front and rear track widths, wanders slightly and suffers bump steer. Tyre pressures as per tyre manufacturers guidance.

Riftzoner

Free Member
Feb 17, 2021
Whitby Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696D
Exp
Ducato / Boxer van base - don't all vehicles need a wheel alignment from time to time. Regular vibrations, pot holes and normal road use can knock your steering geometry? Normal wear and tear?
My vehicle purchases are usually taken straight to a wheel alignment centre (Fiat 500, Toyota Auris SR, Vauxhall Astra, Honda Jazz, Skoda Roomster) - not necessarily my own cars as people occasionally ask me to source a vehicle for them. ALL but the Skoda needed a tweak to the alignment and the Auris in particular had scrubbed one tyre to zero tread but trust me, when driving felt absolutely fine!

I was just surprised that it was part of the warranty conditions on a brand new vehicle & at such low mileage.For some this sort of mileage could be covered in one trip! Also that it’s a Pilote specific warranty condition? Not necessarily a FIAT one? I don’t if any other Motorhome manufacturing companies have the same mandatory condition as part of their warranty?🤔

Apr 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner 747-2
Exp
since 2010
Mine needed re-aligning, had it done at a local coach and bus company as it needs a large vehicle lift. The alignment cost £48 inc vat (front only)

slowcoach65

Free Member
Jan 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
A
Hi Colin.

Interesting that they it says "SHOULD" and "RECOMMEND" and not "MUST". In my world this leaves legal wriggle room :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back