Free Member
Jun 13, 2017
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Collecting next week
Exp
Im a newbie
Been to see a lovely camper, clean, tidy, engine sounds good etc. However it's sorn at the moment so we can't do a test drive. We've also been told everything works, shower, oven, sink etc but not seen for ourselves. This is a major purchase so are we just buying "sold as seen" and going for best or would we have some sort of come back of straight after purchase we find something wrong? Sorry for sounding so naive but never bought a vehicle that we couldn't test before

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I assume this is a purchase from a private seller.
1) I'd be unhappy at not being able to test drive it
2) I would want to see each system demonstrated so I can see that it is working

It's your cash and if he wants it then I suggest you tell him to put it on the road so you can test drive it and also get him to show you that absolutely everything works.

Once the seller has your money you'll have to take him to court to recover anything!

Upvote 0

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Have you ever been stopped by the police?
If so for what?

......... If 1 is no then test drive
........If two was for being blind drunk then refrain

There are many way sayers around, but I would guess that your insurance, what ever you have, gives you third party cover to drive any vehicle......

My opinion ..... Try it out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

obanvanman

Free Member
May 1, 2015
Isle of Seil Argyll
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil 810 Integra
Exp
Sorry, but you must take it for a test drive.
Check everything works, we missed a couple of things and have regretted it ever since.

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I assume this is a purchase from a private seller.
1) I'd be unhappy at not being able to test drive it
2) I would want to see each system demonstrated so I can see that it is working

It's your cash and if he wants it then I suggest you tell him to put it on the road so you can test drive it and also get him to show you that absolutely everything works.

Once the seller has your money you'll have to take him to court to recover anything!
Great advice.
If they won't spend a few quid to get it on the road , ready for sale, what else have they skimped on?
Also no reason not to show all appliances working.
It takes moments to pop some water in the tank and only 20min to heat a boiler full of water.
Blown heating is instantaneous, fridge should chill quickly on gas.
Battery should have full charge otherwise will likely need replacing.

I've sold two privately, wouldn't dream of not showing everything working.
Not only to help the purchaser but for my own piece of mind, knowing that it's in good order.

If the seller hasn't done all of this I'd be very wary....

Upvote 0

BMM

Free Member
May 26, 2017
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Book it in for an MOT at a local garage, then if you get pulled over you you can claim to be on your way for an MOT and therefore don't need an MOT or TAX. If the seller doesn't agree to let you MOT it before purchase then walk away.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Poppett

Free Member
Jun 13, 2017
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Collecting next week
Exp
Im a newbie
Book it in for an MOT at a local garage, then if you get pulled over you you can claim to be on your way for an MOT and therefore don't need an MOT or TAX. If the seller doesn't agree to let you MOT it before purchase then walk away.

It's just been MOT'ed at the beginning of month

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
IT will have to be raced anyway if you buy it. I'd suggest they tax it --- they can pay for just a month--- and if you buy it agree to reimburse them the month's tax.
As it's easy to tax a vehicle online I can't see why they don't tax it. Any potential buyers will want to test drive it.

Upvote 0

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Just do not part with your cash!!!!!

Far too many untrusting people in the world I'm afraid.

Even as a SORN vehicle (which I believe is to do with the vehicle tax, not insurance) you can still see all the systems working and the seller should know this.

Ask them to fill with water and test the water pump, shower and all taps. Look for leaks and also good pressure. Make sure the pump stops when the taps are closed. Also check both the hot and cold so that you know the water is running through the heater.

You'll also be able to check the drainage as the water needs to run down the waste pipes. Then go outside and look for leaks. While it isn't a show stopper, it's a bargaining point if there are leaks.

You should also be able to turn on the gas and have the heating, cooker and water heater checked out. Again, it's not a show stopper, but another bargaining point.

Look at the leisure batteries and look at the charge rate going in with the engine running. Take a meter with you if needs be. You can also get a cheap damp meter and check out under the bed, seats and in the corner etc.

Look under the bonnet and look for oil leaks etc. Look on the floor under the engine and look for drips etc. The vehicle should be started and run up until nice and warm and you can listen to it running and the exhaust emissions too.

Having it SORN will stop none of this. If that's what they are stating, then I'd be suspicious as they should know this.

You could also then give them a % of the asking price to take it away and check it out. Once you're both happy, pay the final figure. That way you have a lever.

Good luck and keep us posted:)

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Great advice above, i certainly wouldn't buy without trying everything. How old is it. Remember to do a damp check also no matter what age.

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Don't buy until you drive it .If the seller is genuine it should be ready to test drive .Be carefully ,very careful.

Upvote 0

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Take PP Bear with you and pay his expenses, that's Sugarpuffs don't you know!(y)

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
We did buy our motorhome when it was SORNed. However, we also were able to test drive it. The previous owner arranged with his garage mechanic to come on the test drive with trade plates from the garage. Seven years on and we still have our trusty Talbot.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Could you put a link on to the advert for the MH? If so we can have a shuftie at it and tell you if we spot any obvious problems or items to check in addition to what's been mentioned already.

No test drive .... do NOT buy!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Poppett

Free Member
Jun 13, 2017
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Collecting next week
Exp
Im a newbie
Update.... After everyone's advice we asked about test drive and checking everything works and there was no problem. We were able to test drive and everything working, so we now have it. Hubby drove it home (more than an hour away) and everything was fine. Now can anyone recommend anywhere to buy any bits that it MAY need in the future?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Poppett

Free Member
Jun 13, 2017
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Collecting next week
Exp
Im a newbie
Congratulations and I hope it gives you great times and adventures.

What do you mean by bits it may need in the future ??
Like, say a bulb blew inside or blinds etc... Just wondered if anyone uses a reliable source

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Reference test drives when buying private. Your insurance may allow you to drive another vehicle third party only but usually only cars so in any case no one will let you loose with their pride and joy as it is not insured if you damage/destroy it. Even if the trade drive your MH their own trade insurance only covers the vehicle to trade value not retail and also will have a hefty excess figure perhaps of a couple of thousand pounds. As the seller your insurance will not cover them unless you have full any driver cover which would be expensive and difficult to obtain. So what do we do about a test drive then?

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Reference test drives when buying private. Your insurance may allow you to drive another vehicle third party only but usually only cars so in any case no one will let you loose with their pride and joy as it is not insured if you damage/destroy it. Even if the trade drive your MH their own trade insurance only covers the vehicle to trade value not retail and also will have a hefty excess figure perhaps of a couple of thousand pounds. As the seller your insurance will not cover them unless you have full any driver cover which would be expensive and difficult to obtain. So what do we do about a test drive then?
When we bought ours I let the previous owners drive for this reason. I sat in and watched the guages etc like a hawk. It was a risk but for me, based on the condition of the interior, exterior and engine bay I felt it was enough to have confidence.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back