What's worse, over inflation or under inflation in tyres? (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'm looking at ours and have said a few times, Terry they look as if they're under inflated! !
Will he pull into a garage and get them sorted, no, so please let's have some horror stories to tell him as he doesn't come on this forum.
Hopefully he'll get the message.
We have new tyres, put on in May during the MOT.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
When we picked up our new M/H the ride was incredibly harsh, teeth rattlingly so.

On checking the pressures with the hand book they were a bit high so we reduced them to the handbook level. That helped a bit.

Then, on this Forum, a member posted Continental Tyres advised pressures for specific axle weights. I weighed ours, in full touring trim, and found them still way too high.

On reducing them to the recommended pressures the M/H is now a pleasure to drive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Buy him a little compressor from Machine Mart for Christmas then he can check them at home.
Far cheaper than a ruined set of tyres or worse still a high speed blowout.:Eeek:

bartiny

Free Member
May 23, 2010
Accrington, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008
Under inflation = overheating, likely blow out, uneven tyre wear on outer edges.

Over inflation = Harsh ride, possible blow out, uneven tyre wear in centre of tyre.

IMO.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Waste of time getting him to pull into a garage as the tyres will be hot and the pressure will be higher than when cold. If you have been driving the van you should leave it for at least ½ hour before checking pressure. If you set them to the right pressure when hot they will be under inflated.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
If not checked since May, in all probability they are low..

Tell him that under inflated tyres increases fuel consumption.. that should get him moving.. ;)
Hi.
If "Under inflated" means.....FLAT LOL. Blowing them up WILL get him moving... Result!

Good work Jim....... "Beam me up Scottie !" LOL.
Tea Bag

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Buy him a TyrePal for Christmas - he will need to check the tyres when fitting and then will get a warning if under-inflated or over-heated.

Currently a special offer for Funsters.

Dave

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Under inflation .. excessive heat and wall damage
Over inflation.. Harsh ride, poor grip, prone to damage and punctures

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
Under inflation will cause wall damage, usually on the inner wall of the tyre. Having had new tyres in May if left you will be buying more at next mot depending on mileage. Had similar problems with otherhalf's skoda wouldn't check tyres and left to me when borrowed infrequently, two tyres later sorted problem, bent alloy wheel and valve replacement

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Its odd, but when you do eventually check them they always seem to be lower and never higher:swear2:

Its better to have your own pressure gauge as a reliable standard. Garage gauges can be way out.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Never under inflation.....my experience of 2 vans is the Elddis liked mid to low end of the recommended tyre pressures. Otherwise at the top end of the pressure range it would be a harsh ride and the whole van would rattle.

My Carado was supplied with lowish air pressures which caused a slight barrel roll, however I have pumped the tyres up to the maximum allowed and that has made a big difference to handling....sweet as a nut! And being a quality Teutonic build no rattles either. So I guess it depends on the vehicle, and the person driving seems very individual to me.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Halfrauds sell a digital tyre pressure gauge for under a tenner. It will measure pressures up to 90 PSI.
Set the pressures to what you are told by the manufacturer of the tyres you have.
Just ring them.. There is a thread on here somewhere !!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As well as the above, having the wrong tyre pressure will also affect the handling when braking, especially if you have to pull up sharply or in an emergency. If you have an accident involving another vehicle and then had to make a claim with the insurance where it came out there was a problem (police DO check tyre pressures if appropriate) which wasn't addressed by you, you would be unlikely to be paid out, and also be prosecuted by the police if this was found to be a factor in causing the accident/making it worse.

Do NOT mess about with over or under-inflated tyres, it isn't just a minor issue - these are the ONLY things that keep you in contact with the road!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would suggest getting him his own tyre pressure gauge to use at home as he's much more likely to want to 'play' with it ... but make sure it is of a high enough rating to be able to inflate the tyres as some aren't, even on garage forecourts in Italy we struggled to find one that was capable of topping up our tyres.

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
We have fount that a lot of garages only have their compressor outlet set to 60psi. Not a lot of good if you want 65psi. We bought a very nice portable compressor from Lidl in Germany 6 years ago €45. Pumps to 110 psi very fast. Not the silly little £10 ones. This is mains powered 1,000Watt. We spotted them in our local Lidl back in April this year for £60 so bought the son one as well. It comes with 6mtrs mains lead 6mtrs air hose and good tyre gun with pressure gauge.

steve & ann. ---------- teensvan

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have a 15 bar 12v air compressor, goes up to 300 psi.
WOULD THAT BE OK TO USE?
Oops sorry caps on.
We checked tyres on my cycle once and it let them down. Before we had a compressor
That why I think he's a bit loath to do it.
I'll try myself tomorrow.
If the 12v compressor will do it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You could blow up a ruddy hot air balloon with that! :LOL:

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Proper conufused about my pressures.
4250kg max gross weight, have Michelin camper tyres fitted.
Can anybody help with what the pressure should be please
as when inflated to what the Fiat sticker says they look a bit too low to me so shoved more in as stated on wall of tyre, now they are ROCK HARD

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have a 15 bar 12v air compressor, goes up to 300 psi.
WOULD THAT BE OK TO USE?
Oops sorry caps on.
We checked tyres on my cycle once and it let them down. Before we had a compressor
That why I think he's a bit loath to do it.
I'll try myself tomorrow.
If the 12v compressor will do it.
I think 15bar = 225psi but it should be ok for you.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
20151110_183116.jpg
This is what we have, would this pump them up?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@Autowbars our Exsis is 4250kg and I have 4.5bar in front and 5 bar in rear rides quite well but a lot depends on your load on each axle so I check weights before every long trip and adjust slightly accordingly but usually weights about same as we don't change the kit we take all that much.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Tyre pal is amazing, how they get all the electronics in such a small cap area !! Checked out Tyre Pal(s) against accurate pressure gauge and it was well within accuracy required. Wouldn't be without it on the MH now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back