What's with the French on roundabouts (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Some go onto a roundabout indicating right, and go all the way round still indicating right. So if you are waiting because they have priority, you think they are going off the roundabout. No, they're not, they're staying on, so if you pull out ....
And then, some roundabouts are still priorité a droite, or some drive as if they still are no matter what the signs say. So the effect on traffic flow is ridiculous, jams on low traffic roundabouts because many are so cautious cos they've no idea what the procedure is - they haven't really got used to them yet.
When I first drove on the Continent, there were hardly any, now they stick them in just to slow the traffic. It's like Swindon magnified! But with daffy drivers.
By the way, I'm not frog bashing - I really like them. Most of the time.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Sorry never noticed a problem, am I doing it wrong.

I thought indicators were optional use, here included.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Spanish do the same right round the outside until they reach their turn off . I read an article in a Spanish/English paper last winter about this and it was stated that the roundabout should be treated as an extension to the road made half sense as i was not sure how you got off the roundabout if you were in the fast lane and therefor on the inside of the roundabout , could be going round for ever

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
You found a French registered car that has working indicators? I thought they and reverse gear were removed at point of sale.

wizza

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
8 years
I have noticed when I was trying to take say 3rd exit I would go to inside then signal off right but the French try to sneek up the right hand side so now I drive round the outside seems to work better.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
You think French roundabouts are bad here in Spain it's worse.......
Spanish drivers will always drive in the outside lane of a roundabout, no matter which exit they want. They never ever follow the guide line below

roundabout.jpg

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The one "notable" roundabout in France is Place D'Etoille Charles de Gaulle, i.e. Arc de Triomphe in Paris. This one gives priority to those joining the "roundabout" and also has 12 (yes 12) exits. When I used to do a Paris tour I always took great delight, much to the dismay of my passengers, in accelerating into the maelstrom and then going round a couple of times! Of course, it then made it interesting trying to get off at the correct exit! Happy days!

Most French drivers don't really know what to make of roundabouts and thus tend to do their own thing.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
The one thing you can say about at a roundabout is that at some point you have to turn off, so indicating that you are going to turnoff is superfluous until the turnoff point.
I do recall driving around the arc de triomphe in the same way as TerryL, used to love it. Also the one in Rome, but that was long ago. But now I avoid city centres if poss.

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Nothing wrong with French drivers its their country not ours just drive like a local s'easy. :whistle::whistle::)
Rather drive anywhere in France than the M25 or M6.
I certainly agree with that.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I noticed last year in both France and Spain that in particular the HGV's stay in the outside lane all the way around the round-a-bout until their exit appears so I thought it best to adopt the same principal. In the UK if you did that you would be honked and flashed at :mad:...but it didn't happen to me once so I'm guessing it's OK (y).

Deleted User
I make up my French roundabout technique as I go along.

It seems to work for them :D

Keep em guessing I say :LOL::LOL:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
They are truly awful on roundabouts, but its still easier than UK.

Just last week one of them drew up on my left hand side and turned right - in front of me???

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
French drivers show courtesy and respect for cyclists, but none for fellow drivers and even less for pedestrians. Maybe if you plonk a big "I love Bernard Hinault," sticker on the back, they will stop and let you on or off the roundabout. But for God's sake don't mention Lance Armstrong......

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've started to do their trick on roundabouts when going straight across. Left indicator as you approach the roundabout then right indicator as you approach the exit. I've seen quite a few doing this and I can see the logic. It shows someone waiting at the first exit you are not turning of there. I should emphasise I am still in France. Not sure how this would go down in the UK!

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
I am with Vic, most surprised you found a French vehicle with working indicators. I remarked on this to mon amie Elyane returning to Saintes recently, just got a non commital shrug! (Elle est francaise)

Drive defensively, wherever you are they are out to get you so be ready. I look forward to lunch hour 1200 - 1400 for a quiet period, though the 30 mins before and after need attention.

The overall driving style is modelled on Death Wish Driving, keep that in mind and you are ok. Expect them to do exactly what you would not expect them to do and more.

Mind you any nation that allows you to park free from 1200 to 1400 for lunch has my vote and that is why I love to be there and ultimatlely in 2 years 5 months live ther.

(tongue pressed through cheek) Clive:france::france::france:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I can understand French drivers attitude towards round-a-bouts. It's their reaction to T Junctions that terrifies me.

Approach at 80 kph, assuming the main road is clear, see a car approaching and brake in the last few yards causing cars there to brake or swerve.

And" Priorite a Droite" What is that all about now ?

At one time all junctions were give way to the right. Now only some are. Because some road markings are worn it can sometimes be the driving equivalent of Russion Roulette.

Do I have the right of way or does he?

Still, it keeps life interesting.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
We have a variation on a theme near me at Whitfield on the A2 from the Docks at Dover. This a busy!!!! roundabout and can be super busy or empty within a 5 minutes envelope. However as it is the second roundabout from the docks and is a major joining point of several A roads it does tend to confuse Johnny Foreigner, and also the usual Britprat . leading to an unusual set of conflicting techniques all being displayed at the same time along with the usual lack of decent signage. The Road Planners decided that it should have left turning access onto most of the entries this allows the LHD vehicles especially the huge artics to be completely without any vision of the traffic already on the roundabout. They wait until a gap and pull out regardless or they would never get going again then ALL of them hug the absolute nearside regardless of exit they want and to the Brits they almost sneak up behind you behind the sight lines and if you see them it looks like they are going of at the exit onto the road YOU are going on at, then swerve right around the roundabout just as you are moving forwards., There are loads of stops and horn blowing there and quite a lot of scrapes. The kerbs are flattened by the trailer wheels as the lorries keep right over and the trailers cut the corners. It really is a masterpiece of road planning designed to reduce the population , Cyclist would be advised to go on the other roads. The number of vehicle going back down the hill to Dover north is surprising???? at the bottom there is a mini roundabout 6 foot across for the artics to turn around?????????
I would like to make a film of it, and put that on Youtube.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back