what's the right MH - advice on buying (1 Viewer)

gingerpink

Free Member
Sep 24, 2010
Funster No
Hi everyone - i have just retired and am embarking on my new life - its great!
Having just returned from a fantastic 4 weeks on the continent in our touring caravan we have decided that we want to do more of this and that we can do this much better in a motorhome and are going to start looking out for one soon- as from tomorrow!

We wonder what's the best for us -we are both retired (59 and 64) and have 2 labrador dogs who come with us. We like walking and are fairly fit and active. We also like our comfort and enjoy cooking and eating in the caravan

In our c'van we have a fixed bed but find it limits living and cooking space, we find we lack storage space - but pile our stuff- like boots, coats, dog stuff into the car. We like to have the grandkids with us 3 - 4 weekends a year too.

We are a bit daunted by the prospect of looking for a motorhome and want to get what's right for us - can anyone advise us on what to go for. Do we look for an A frame, 2nd hand, nearly new, 2 or 4 berth - having the dogs?

All advice very welcome

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the fun, you mention the grandchildren but not their ages, however whereever they sleep (in the van or in the awning) they will need belted seats so definately a 4 berth. A class is a good Idea becuse you have the fixed bed to drop down at night but release the space during the day. a garage may suit you, but we found it reduced to internal space. Make a list of must haves, would like, and don't want. Then try to find a layout that suits you. I suggest looking at loads before buying and make sure it has what you want. Not many vans for instance have ovens. Most Eurovans are built close to their weight limits with little or no payload. ~Vosa are now doing roadside checks on weights so be extra careful

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi GP and welcome :thumb:
go for comfort in your van. It is not a lot of use having a drop down bed if you cannot climb into it or perhaps get out in the middle of the night if you had too much wine LAYOUT / comfort is the single most thing you should be looking at We have tied all sorts of layouts from 2 / 4 berth to 6 to 4 again then 6 again and now in a 2 witch suits us great. Get out and look / try out as many bed layouts and don't be scared to put up climb in etc, etc, before buying Use one of the shows or a dealer to try this and get a good idea what is going to suit you then look for what you want.
Also try hiring one for a weekend or mid week this will give a good idea as to what you want
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are a bit daunted by the prospect of looking for a motorhome

All advice very welcome

You should be, there is no right one, just one with compromises you can live with.

Your biggest shock has to be how much less space you get. The cab, wheels eats into available space.

The only solution is get out there and sit in and photograph as many as possible.

Grandchildren plus you -- where do you all sit on the move ?

For kids you probably need a U shaped lounge. A U shaped lounge is poor for travelling, can't fit good seatbelts. Catch 22.

Not easy !

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

Given your circumstances, ie. kids, dogs, cooking and use ,,

My suggestion:

C class with these facilities.

* U Shape lounge
Good for families, entertaining, and after noon naps .. also provides a bit of privacy in the evening when the kids are asleep .. you hope :roflmto:

* Luton body , overhead cab bed,
ideal for the grand kids, useful storage space when they are not with you

* Pullman dinette,
this will have at least two belted travelling seats also useful work space for the cook.

However, this is a fairly large van and while ideal for trips with the grand kids is perhaps bigger than needed for a couple, however it will have plenty of storage and a decent sized toilet / shower room.

As already said, there is no ideal, only a compromise that suits you..

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Best advice already given, look at as many as possible, dealers, shows that is how you learn.

I have known people look for at least a year, but better that than make an expensive mistake.

Keep looking your van is out there.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Final bit of advice .. pay subs here rather than the 'other' site ..:winky:

best £12 you will ever spend :thumb:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Having just changed from caravanning and just done what you are asking then all the above advice is essential.
For me the grandchildren bit really helped to reduce the field somewhat. With new motorhomes the 'designated passenger seats' aspect could be a critical factor for you. If its any help my grandchildren of 1 x 3 yrs, 2 x 5 years and 1 x 9 years love our overcab bed.
The larger the motorhome the more ferries cost, and some operators charge certain sizes as freight (I noted your continental trips).
You also need to consider 'essential' extras (additional battery, solar v generators for instance).
Pay the £12 as jim says, and benefit from the miriad of threads containing excellent information on here. I have found them invaluable (its helped me decide against a generator for my style of use, but that an additional battery and solar power need to be added soon).
The SEARCH facility is excellent.
and, :welcomefunster:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You really need to take a look around as far as layouts go. There are so many different types it beggars belief. What attribute may be ideal in one, may come at a cost of something not quite right.

I had someone say recently, that they went to look at some with fixed beds, yet all they saw, were ones that were quite tight in the kitchen area (bathroom door opposite the oven) In this persons' situation, whom had a er....healthy amount of rump shall we say, difficulty bending down to open the door was experienced.

Others you may find an excellent layout in terms of lounge, but have a spartan bed, or two singles that may not suit all. It really is finding something to suit your taste - as motorhomes suit anyones' taste - which means there are alot out there.

You need to consider space versus weight. You need space for the two dogs - and weight to carry your and their home comforts...so look into how and where you are going to go. If you are going continental, you will carry more gear. Also consider the length of time you will own it (some buy new and own for 20 years) , as when you hit 70 the DVLA knock off your grandfather rights, and make you drive 3.5t.

Some vehicles use space very well, others waste alot of space! Some have huge bodies and not really a whole lot in there. One with a rear garage may be good, some have access to the wagon, making a conversion space to a kennel an idea for the dogs to sleep in, whilst still giving a couple of large lockers each side.

Good luck, happy hunting!:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
when you hit 70 the DVLA knock off your grandfather rights, and make you drive 3.5t.

Yes they will, but you can renew them ..

Your driving licence entitlement will expire when you reach the age of 70 and if you want to continue to drive, the entitlement will need to be renewed by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). Your renewed licence will normally be valid for three years.

If you want to renew your C1 or D1 entitlement, you will need to complete an 'Application for a lorry or bus driving licence' (D2). This applies whether you previously held full, restricted or voluntary entitlement.
You must also provide a Medical Examination Report’ (D4).Your doctor will charge you for this service. The D2 and D4 forms are available from DVLA local offices, the Vehicle Operator Services Agency, the Driving Standards Agency, Traffic Area Offices and LGV/PCV training schools.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_4022086

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back