What's the point of going abroad if you're just another tourist (1 Viewer)

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
carted around in buses surrounded by sweaty mindless oafs from Kettering and Coventry in their cloth caps and their cardigans and their transistor radios and their Sunday Mirrors, complaining about the tea - 'Oh they don't make it properly here, do they, not like at home'

That Monty Python sketch sums up my view of Benidorm although I freely admit to never having visited.

That’s all about to change, probably today for better or for worst.

We’re looking for campsite recommendations for a few nights to alow me to fully experience all the Benidorm has to offer from the €5 fiull fried breakfast, including a pint, to whatever passes as culture ………… assuming it isn't… the €5 fiull fried breakfast, including a pint,

Life is about new adventures and I’m looking forwards to this one!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think Villa sol might be the nearest. We were further out at camping Arena Blanca. It had free wifi and a covered pool, nice n warm.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I think you’ll fit right in......:D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
We stay at Armanello ,site is fine and only managed 3 days of Beni. :rolleyes:

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
carted around in buses surrounded by sweaty mindless oafs from Kettering and Coventry in their cloth caps and their cardigans and their transistor radios and their Sunday Mirrors, complaining about the tea - 'Oh they don't make it properly here, do they, not like at home'

That Monty Python sketch sums up my view of Benidorm although I freely admit to never having visited.

That’s all about to change, probably today for better or for worst.

We’re looking for campsite recommendations for a few nights to alow me to fully experience all the Benidorm has to offer from the €5 fiull fried breakfast, including a pint, to whatever passes as culture ………… assuming it isn't… the €5 fiull fried breakfast, including a pint,

Life is about new adventures and I’m looking forwards to this one!
Do you want one that serves Watney's Red Barrel :D2

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you can't find enjoyment in the Costa Blanca/Benidorm area in winter then book yourself into a swiss clinic now. Some fantastic cycling, diving, snorkelling, walking, climbing, you can go jet-boating, on Jeep safari's or Kayaking, inland waters and on sea, shopping and eating in Alicante is a delight. Or you could visit 4 pubs on Levante beach, never even get sand between your toes and say its crap :doh:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I have been and really enjoyed it. It’s possible to get away from the madding,or is it mad crowds. Pig out food and beer accompanied by some drunk trying to sing although popular with many is not compulsory and easily avoided. A little research will be rewarded.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Another vote for Armanello, stayed there twice now and will probably be there again at some point this year.
Beni is what you want it to be at least you have plenty of choices, and most importantly for the most part, Good Weather.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Probably better than going to Amsterdam at the moment !

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You'll never know until you try it. You probably didn't know you'd like Motorhoming until you tried it and look how well that turned out.
If you find Benidorm's not for you Spain's a really big country.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
I slagged off Benidorm for years until about 5 years ago, we had an unused flight that had to be used before Christmas, so went the week before Chrimbo, £330 for a week and flights all inclusive, had a great time, food and hotel great, indoor swimming pool, went out every night to catch the tribute shows, and had some brilliant food, went again in the moho 2 years ago for the start of my trip around Spain and Portugal and again loved it (mind you I was knackered after 2 week there and was ready to move on) it is what you make it, although I have never been when it’s been mobbed with lager louts, I’m pretty sure, as Arnie would say, I’ll be back, good food, good walks, good weather, good markets and good entertainment, and especially for that competitive Mrs of yours, on La Torreta, a boules match every day and possibly one of the nicest transvestites you’ll ever meet, do say hello to Claire for me

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
There's something for everyone here. The Stag and Hen parties are gone this time of year and there's lots of families, pensioners and couples. It's still very lively on the pub street if you have a walk up late at night.. Or early morning I should say:D2 but we like the live bands, you know, the ones that DON'T have a cd playing and just sing along (usually badly) The Beatles are excellent in 'talk of the town' and 'Chess, Queen Forever' in Morgan's Tavern, and it's free entry! If you like it quieter there are thousands of excellent restaurants and bars as you walk in.
Before we bought the van I'd never been, now we're not bothered about going anywhere else. We do stop at places on the way:sleep: but the holiday begins when we get to Benidorm! :love:
Enjoy it if you can.

Edit: €2.60 breakfast at Mariano's very good.
Camping La Torreta is friendly and closest to town, dogs go free. (actually Villasol might be slightly closer but is a walk up an empty road)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Arrived and settled down in campsite Arena Blanc, about a 45min walk to the centre we are told. But we bought the rain and God it’s torrential!

Still time for a beer then a walk into the town

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
On Red alert here at Torreta we're on the floodplain... So far so good...

Just had to take Ann to hairdressers on scoot and the main road is a river :eek:

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Screenshot_20171007-145743.png

But this is one of the many reasons why we come here.
Screenshot_20171007-145728.png

Cheers
Ed

Last edited:

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
It's horses for courses, I appreciate that for very many Funsters Benidorm is everything they want, and good luck to them.

But it was places like that that encouraged us to take up motorhoming, we prefer peace and quiet and positively hate crowded campsites. And yes we have tried it, although it probably didn't help that we were there when it snowed. Sorry, not our scene.

@Jim got any recommendations for Swiss clinics! :roflmto:

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Arrived and settled down in campsite Arena Blanc, about a 45min walk to the centre we are told. But we bought the rain and God it’s torrential!

Still time for a beer then a walk into the town
You have possibly the longest walk from there to the beach,good luck.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
1.429 miles. Walking is good for you (y)
It's nearly twice as far out as Torreta, wouldn't fancy the walk back though after a night out.

You can get the No.10 bus down to town and back for €1.50

OP
OP
Alistair33

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
1.429 miles. Walking is good for you (y)
It's nearly twice as far out as Torreta, wouldn't fancy the walk back though after a night out.

You can get the No.10 bus down to town and back for €1.50
Wasn’t to bad all the Chineese restaurants are on the walk home so had a €16 stop half way home!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
China Garden is the most popular, the food is good as you'd imagine after having to queue to get in. But we now like Red Apple better, it doesn't look much, with no glamorous waiters etc, but the food is even better and bigger portions on the great value house menu. Where in the world can you get a 3 course meal including wine for €5? (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back