What's the most you've paid for an engine service? (1 Viewer)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Running on from the problem we've had with our Citroen 2.2 engine seizing up.
Although, according to our local Citroen dealer, it was caused by a known problem and that somehow our van had slipped through their notification system, Citroen France are denying any liability, so we have had to pay full price for a new engine.
Our last 2 services were carried out privately by a friend who is a qualified mechanic and therefore, although he had filled in and signed the servie book there was no company rubber stamp and would be unable to supply the equivelant of a vat receipt,
In their terms not a registered company.
So, instead of saving a few quid it has turned out that the last 2 services have cost just over 5,000€ each.
A hard lesson learnt

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I suppose there are loads of others done the same and got away with it and saved money hindsight is a wonderful thing don't dwell too much on it if you can at least it was only money not health.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It must have been one hell of a minor fault to cause it to seize up. forget to put oil in for one or leaving the oil filter off???
Maybe the sump off? No engine should ever seize if it was working alright before.
If it is a known fault there is still a comeback on it, Try harder. You should be contacted directly of any recalls. Manufacturing faults are the fault of the maker. See a Lawyer the conditions are just that, conditions , They do not hold in Law, if there is a fault there is a fault.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think it was the recall for a new software update on the engine mapping makes you realise what the risk of re-mapping to improve performance is in the worst case!!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It must have been one hell of a minor fault to cause it to seize up. forget to put oil in for one or leaving the oil filter off???
Maybe the sump off? No engine should ever seize if it was working alright before.
If it is a known fault there is still a comeback on it, Try harder. You should be contacted directly of any recalls. Manufacturing faults are the fault of the maker. See a Lawyer the conditions are just that, conditions , They do not hold in Law, if there is a fault there is a fault.
The suggestion isn't that it seized just after or because of a service but rather that it could be attributed to a "known problem" that should have been highlighted by Citroen. But if they can get out of it with clause in the servicing small print I am sure they will.

Martin

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
An advantage of going to a garage is they should be aware of any recalls and can then carry out the work. The main dealers will have this information but so should independents, though you would need to get them to confirm this.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Burstner A Class
Exp
Jan.2014
There are problems with remapping at the mo. with VW.

You will recall (no pun intended) that they had their pants pulled down with their jiggery pokery on emissions.
It transpires that their 'cure' to reverting the engines to run normally, is causing some cars to start 'clanking' and losing power.
They are then claiming that they cannot put the vehicles back to where they were before.
It seems to me that manufacturers have an inbuilt "Deny Everything" philosophy.

Please pray for me, just bought a Passat, and, if they say it needs a recall I just might have a sudden attack of amnesia. Who said that?

Last edited:

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I think that this Citroen is the same engine as is used in the Transit. We have had two recalls, one for software changes to prevent piston damage and the other to replace the engine oil pump. Either of which could have been fatal

Our servicing had been done by the MH supplying dealer who was not aware of the recalls. Definately using Ford agent for the next service

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
What makes you think the independents or even Mo Ho dealerships, are made aware or have access to recall info or the technology to re map any software, or to replace recalled parts and the bill the Manufacturer instead of you

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Our 2014 Peugeot Auto Sleeper also has the Ford transit 2.2 engine fitted, I have emailed Peugeot in the past about these recalls, and there answer was that there is none. That was when our van had done 3,000 miles, it is now coming up to 17,500 miles and a trip next week to Benidorm so another 3,000 on top, I will have to keep my fingers crossed.
By the way I saved the email that Peugeot sent me.

John.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Also if you use a ford dealer they extend the european breakdown cover for another year foc :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our 2014 Peugeot Auto Sleeper also has the Ford transit 2.2 engine fitted, I have emailed Peugeot in the past about these recalls, and there answer was that there is none. That was when our van had done 3,000 miles, it is now coming up to 17,500 miles and a trip next week to Benidorm so another 3,000 on top, I will have to keep my fingers crossed.
By the way I saved the email that Peugeot sent me.

John.
I would check again they keep extending the recall period

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
I think that this Citroen is the same engine as is used in the Transit. We have had two recalls, one for software changes to prevent piston damage and the other to replace the engine oil pump. Either of which could have been fatal

Our servicing had been done by the MH supplying dealer who was not aware of the recalls. Definately using Ford agent for the next service

What year is your van clickem.

John.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
OP
OP
Scattycat

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
What makes you think the independents or even Mo Ho dealerships, are made aware or have access to recall info or the technology to re map any software, or to replace recalled parts and the bill the Manufacturer instead of you

Well, when we bought a Renault from a small dealer in the UK and then brought it over to France and re-registered it we got a call 3 years later from our local Renault dealer here in Mayenne to advise us of an urgent recall.
So my point is, if Renault France can track down where we are to advise us of a potential problem then it should have been no problem for Citroen to do the same.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Sorry clickem I misread your earlier post I thought you had a Citroen based van, the Ford site won't recognise my vin number.
John.
I've just checked my Citroen Relay van out here

http://www.citroenrecalls.co.uk/

Luckily there are no outstanding recalls even though it's not been to a main dealer for servicing for years. So, hopefully, anything which caused the problem with the OP's van has already been undertaken on mine. Fingers crossed. ((I purchased the van new and in the first year or so of ownership it was back at the supplying dealers about every three months to have recall work done. Must have about 5 times. More updates than Microsoft :) ))

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Scattycat
Your Renault Dealer has legal and justified access to DVLA records to trace all registered keepers.As do all main dealers?
Your little dealers and independants do not simples

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We had to ask the ford dealer to put ours on the uk system for recalls the chassis was originally from france (despite being rh drive)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
This sounds like the Ford recall that they put out and you should be covered for the repair. How old is the van? In cases of major trouble like that the liability is still there nothing to do with servicing. Citroen are the maker Ford just supplies the engine. Citroen UK are the agents for Citroen and the UK motorhome dealer should have heard from them.. Ask Ford as well for a sympathetic hearing.
Do not just let it lie and pay out there is a liability and it is not yours.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back