Whats the most iritating design feature on your van? (1 Viewer)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
An interesting thread which has got me thinking (only a little mind you.)

When is it a design fault and when is it operator error?

For example.

Once again, as I put the kettle on and turned to put the lighter back in the drawer this morning, I hit my forehead (gently) on the overhead cupboard handle. I suppose I could complain that this is a design fault and that they should have considered forgetful 6' 4" people when positioning the handle in their design stage or...

... I can blame myself for nutting the handle for the 3,768th time.

JJ :Cool:

PS. Frankie never hits her head on it.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The habitation door catch seems to be a common problem.Anyone got a fix for this? I tried putting tape on it to bulk it out but it still doesn't hold and slams at the slightest breath of wind!

Bunjee cord out the window, right round door and back.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
The habitation door catch seems to be a common problem.Anyone got a fix for this? I tried putting tape on it to bulk it out but it still doesn't hold and slams at the slightest breath of wind!

Surely a replacement catch can be bought and fitted, even buying and fitting a better designed one, we had to do that on a static we once had.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I've just ordered one of these. It looks a bit more substantial.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/W4-3784R-VIVA-DOOR-RETAINER/dp/B003LXAE7C/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_5[/ame]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
The ONLY thing I dislike about our Starburst is the shower tray. To be precise, the fact that it only has one drain hole. In the middle. So that unless you're perfectly level it don't drain away. For the sake of having two holes, one in each corner, it seems a design fault to me. But as that's the ONLY thing I dislike, I'm a happy bunny after the first six months of ownership.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
I don't have a problem with things that start to annoy me, I find a way to fix it so it dosn't become a problem. Think outside the normal and it can be a simple matter either alter/replace the crap design or find a way to stop it happening. :winky:

A few on this thread seem to have done the same. :thumb:

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
The only thing that seems to be a bad design is the wardrobe being sited behind the passenger seat. At certain right hand junctions it completely obstructs your view to the point of you literally not being able to see anything approaching from the left. Anyone got any clever ideas on this one? Other than that I love the van.
Kath :Sad:

kiwi

Free Member
Aug 11, 2012
leamington spa
Funster No
MH
bessaca 745 coach
Exp
since 1968
annoying

i have a bessacarr 745,and the wonderfull makers put the leasure battery under the drivers seat so if you want to maintain or witerise you have take the whole seat off,also when driving my eyeline is 1 in below the windscreen.
im 5ft 10 when it rains i have lower my head to see and passenger /sing reader have lean half way across the cab .and who thought putting a plasic surround to the stove.why when we make stuff here we dont bother with the niceseties like allthe window plasic surrounds are joined at the bottom in the middle of the window ,(now have gaps.)i would have put them on the side or top so covered by the blinds etc.:Angry:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I was going to say the hand that turns the air con off the second I turn it on.
But really, it's the roof drains opening right over the kitchen and dinette windows for me.

froghopper

Free Member
Nov 29, 2009
winchester
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
before they were invented
Hickups

May have been that,,,, now it must be the alarm :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
All the best
FROGHOPPER

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The grey waste drain tap is situated under the door right by the step! crazy:Smile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
The hab.door catch and the ones on the garage doors of our Rapido that retain the doors open------absolute rubbish

This problem used to annoy us when we had the caravan, but the Autoquest has a strong magnetic area which protects the side of the van from getting a wallop. So far so good, it's been strong enough to hold the van door open in strong winds:thumb:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
May have been that,,,, now it must be the alarm :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
All the best
FROGHOPPER
They did ask about your van frog hopper, again a thousand apologies for the grief my new alarm gave you both and many at Malvern. :cry::cry::cry: Awaiting a call from Dave/Jackie re the fix.

Last edited:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Our toilet washroom is the same, the light switch is high up in the far corner. As SWMBO is vertically challenged I fitted a small self adhesive LED light from Ikea on the ceiling. £4 if I remember correctly.

Link Removed

It takes 3 rechargeable AAA batteries. It has a small PIR sensor fitted. So everytime you open the door the light comes on automatically. Batteries last about 6 months between recharges.:thumb::thumb:

Perfect for those nightime visits for a comfort break........:thumb:

We got two of these from Wilkinsons recently, have stuck one at the inside of the habitation door because there is no courtesly light outside the van.
But will need to get rechargeable batteries for ours instead of the standard ones that we bought.:Doh:
Great things:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
The ONLY thing I dislike about our Starburst is the shower tray. To be precise, the fact that it only has one drain hole. In the middle. So that unless you're perfectly level it don't drain away. For the sake of having two holes, one in each corner, it seems a design fault to me. But as that's the ONLY thing I dislike, I'm a happy bunny after the first six months of ownership.

Argh! Ours annoys me, but it doesn't annoy OH, so I have a shower first, then he has his, then I let him get rid of the water:winky:
The only trouble with that is, that he doesn't get it all away and I usually end up down on my knees with a cloth to get it thoroughly dry.........by that time I'm in a really bad mood:Blush:
I suppose that's one of the annoying problems that you don't discover until you've bought and used the van. Oh and shower curtain sticking to a wet bottom:Blush: But I've bought 2 metres of leaded curtain tape for that problem, must get that on before we set off next week.
Margaret

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
The ONLY thing I dislike about our Starburst is the shower tray. To be precise, the fact that it only has one drain hole. In the middle. So that unless you're perfectly level it don't drain away. [HI]For the sake of having two holes, one in each corner[/HI], it seems a design fault to me. But as that's the ONLY thing I dislike, I'm a happy bunny after the first six months of ownership.

2 Holes, one in each corner, ......... so only 2 corners then....... an unusual shower tray.....:winky:

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We had a Rapido Aclass.
Fridge/freezer needed repairing. Couldn't get it out through the door which was 10mm too narrow! We had to remove it from it's housing and work on it in the confines of the motorhome!
Also, the fridge/freezer was incorrectly installed - they hadn't followed simple procedures as shown in the instructions that were supplied with the F/F. Amateurs or couldn't care less?
Obviously the motorhome had been constructed around the fridge/freezer.
How stupid is that?!!:RollEyes:

Styx

Free Member
May 1, 2010
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We had a Rapido Aclass.
Fridge/freezer needed repairing. Couldn't get it out through the door which was 10mm too narrow!

We had our fridge/freezer serviced by a (freelance) dometic engineer recently and, according to him, this is the case for a lot of vans :RollEyes:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
As I have a self build only myself to blame.

Only one hole in the shower in one corner. I always end up parked with that the highest. In 3 years I have only ever parked once where the hole was at the right end of the slope.

I need to get my tools out and fit a second plug hole at the diagonally opposite corner...

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
grrr points.

Electric step right in front of the rear wheels, no protection from the road spray so when you get to your pitch the step is covered with anything that you have driven through.
Come on Autotrail a basic design fault back in 2006 and you still haven`t cured the problem in 2012 and that`s on the top of the range £70k plus Frontier motorhomes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The only thing that seems to be a bad design is the wardrobe being sited behind the passenger seat. At certain right hand junctions it completely obstructs your view to the point of you literally not being able to see anything approaching from the left. Anyone got any clever ideas on this one? Other than that I love the van.
Kath :Sad:

Get a small 'blind spot' mirror and stick it on your existing mirror at the correct angle so you can see.:Smile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In our current van there are 3 things which are:

1) Hold-back clip for habitation door - the Chausson ones are very expensive (about £15!!!!) so we changed it when it broke for the second time for a much better designed one. :Smile:

2) Circular shower screen - always moved when we were driving as the holding metal 'button' type thing (glorified press-stud) always came undone, replaced it with a strap with a plastic push together clip. ::bigsmile:

3) Battery under the cab seats ... only way to check their levels is to remove the seats completely! :Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back