What's the max train weight for a car on an 'A' frame? (1 Viewer)

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Hi all,

Just clarification needed just in case I’ve missed summit.

MoHo is weighed at 4005KG
Car going on A frame is 1554KG
MoHo is Fiat Ducato Autocruise Star Blazer XL 3.0L

No info on towing capacity on V5 so plate says as below.

So is it ok to tow the above?

Owe I have a C and C1 categories before anyone asks.

Ps,
Post the plate up ASAP just waiting on the post man don’t want to miss him lol.

OP
OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
When you screw them in place and offer up the frame you can clearly see that one bolt is bent and stops the bar from sliding in straight.

As you have one bar which goes through both pins it's high unlikely that towing could cause a bend at the end of the pins.
Put the bar back through both and see if the threads are parallel with each other, the ends may look bent but the holes in them might be bored square to the shanks.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Might have missed this but what car you towing, I met a guy in Cornwall who was had a smart car toad, but he had to use bungees on the steering wheel to keep it straight. Think his tow bar was made by taf chesterfield
just a thought

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
When the toad is being towed I can see the front wheels moving with no effort, I’m baffled why one eye, why not the A frame part that connects to it as well and why not both?

Car is a DS3 but weighs last time I checked 1300kgs with the wife sat in it so near 1220kgs plus half a tank of diesel at 19kgs so 1239kgs.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
When you screw them in place and offer up the frame you can clearly see that one bolt is bent and stops the bar from sliding in straight.

Not disagreeing with you but I can't see how your A frame could have done this.
I have made one complete with fabricating the cross member for the car, those pins are 16mm lifting eyes rated I would guess at over 2 tons each, 1 of them could easily lift your entire car.
If they'er going to bend anywhere its where they screw into the cross member as this the point of greatest leaverage, to strengthen this point I made long 30mm sleeves to fit over the pins with 16mm nut at the head, so I screw my pins in then tighten the nut, this transfers the bending force to the 30mm sleeve.

IMG_20200704_141146 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Not disagreeing with you but I can't see how your A frame could have done this.
I have made one complete with fabricating the cross member for the car, those pins are 16mm lifting eyes rated I would guess at over 2 tons each, 1 of them could easily lift your entire car.
If they'er going to bend anywhere its where they screw into the cross member as this the point of greatest leaverage, to strengthen this point I made long 30mm sleeves to fit over the pins with 16mm nut at the head, so I screw my pins in then tighten the nut, this transfers the bending force to the 30mm sleeve.

View attachment 418811
They're not lifting eyes - they are gate hinge eyes.
When the toad is being towed I can see the front wheels moving with no effort, I’m baffled why one eye, why not the A frame part that connects to it as well and why not both?

Car is a DS3 but weighs last time I checked 1300kgs with the wife sat in it so near 1220kgs plus half a tank of diesel at 19kgs so 1239kgs.
When you turn sharply you are trying to drag the front of the car sideways. If you believe little force is involved try steering a moving car by pushing on the front wing. Or try to pull it by the A frame round a tight bend. The forces are immense and in my view those eyes are nowhere near strong enough. As a minimum you need what olley has on his.

As you turn right (for example) the towbar swings left - how far and how fast is determined by the van overhang - then quickly straightens to follow the van. The initial movement to the left can be pretty violent giving the car little time to respond.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Might have missed this but what car you towing, I met a guy in Cornwall who was had a smart car toad, but he had to use bungees on the steering wheel to keep it straight. Think his tow bar was made by taf chesterfield
just a thought
The bungees are to prevent the steering oscillating about the straight ahead position. Some car/van/A frame combinations seem to need it (not only and not always Smart cars).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Never advised to do this by anyone or the A frame company.

The bungees are to prevent the steering oscillating about the straight ahead position. Some car/van/A frame combinations seem to need it (not only and not always Smart cars).

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
So what’s the answer?

Better eye bolts?

I’ll try and attach the A frame to the car and take some photos.

And yes I agree the bolts provided are just gate post bolts and I think they are not good enough for what I need.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Now you mentioned that which didn’t come to mind yes.

Twice, first run out no issues with frame then and second only going backwards to take the pressure off the frame to release it, other than that it’s all forward.

Serious question, have you tried to reverse?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back