What's the max train weight for an 'A' frame Car? (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My son (he has a C1 licence) has just bought a 2018 Chausson Welcome 530 on a Ford base. He wants to tow a car (e.g. Fiat 500, VW Up!, Smart etc.) but there are conflicting figures regarding the max weight and we can't work out the max weight for a towed car on an 'A' frame:

The V5 says:
Revenue weight: 3500kg
Max towable trailer weight (braked): 1000kg
Max towable trailer weight (un-braked): 750kg

But the ‘Certificate de conformity CE’ gives:
Technically permissible maximum laden mass: 3500kg
Technically permissible maximum mass: 4250kg
Technically permissible maximum mass of centre axle trailer: 1000kg
Technically permissible maximum mass of un-braked trailer: 750kg

Wilma VIN plate.jpeg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Au contraire; I would like to know as it was just my assumption. I don't know how they connect 'A' frames to the car's brakes. It must be quite sophisticated to be compatible with today's cars' ABS, Traction control, power steering etc.
It's an extremely basic and primative system.
A wire cable, similar to a handbrake cable, is connected between the hitch overrun mechanism and the cars brake pedal.
When the overrun operates on braking it pulls the cable which in turn pulls the brake pedal applying the brakes.
A more modern approach is an electric servo unit in the car attached to the brake pedal. This is connected electrically to a type of decellerometer in the towing vehicle.
The harder the van brakes are applied the harder the cars brakes are applied.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Just a comment, I don't see how an A bar with overrun brake system alone, fitted to a car with a servo, can EVER be fully legal under trailer law, as the car’s brakes will not meet effort required
Surely only a system (electronic?) that re-charges the servo as you tow does that

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spriddler
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It's an extremely basic and primative system.
A wire cable, similar to a handbrake cable, is connected between the hitch overrun mechanism and the cars brake pedal.
When the overrun operates on braking it pulls the cable which in turn pulls the brake pedal applying the brakes.
A more modern approach is an electric servo unit in the car attached to the brake pedal. This is connected electrically to a type of decellerometer in the towing vehicle.
The harder the van brakes are applied the harder the cars brakes are applied.
Hmm, yes, that's basic. As Cheshirecat57 mentioned, without the engine running and unless fitted with an electrical servo the car's braking won't be very effective. On the few occasions that I've rolled my car forward a few yards without the engine running the minimal braking was pretty scary.

(I must have a look on Google to see how the steering operates with the powered steering system being 'driven' from the wrong end, i.e. by the track rods rather than from the steering wheel end).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there as been many tests of servo verses non servo on brake testers .
servo,s just make it easier to press the brake pedal.
press hard and the brakes work fine .
the pull on the cable is enough for the brakes to work ok.
there was results of tests on here years ago. somewhere .
think Geo did some.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back