What's the first thing the Dutch or Germans do after parking on pitch? (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
How rediculous!

First thing I do is meticulously remove all the bugs from the front of my van.

Cleanliness is next to godliness

No time for watching TV

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Well we have been continental touring since 2004

We have watched the French, Germans and Dutch with their outfits

French
tend to mill about drink wine and beer and make lots of noise and enjoy themselves

Germans
set up their out fit starting with the TV then awning
Then walk their Ferret and rabbit

Dutch
Two types of Dutch Tourers
type A
They empty the Freezer (full of course), Fridge (full of course) Large Screen TV and Armchairs into the awning and plug everything in to TWO outlets even though they've only paid for one
Type B
they set up their awnings get their crafts stuff out and start work making whatever they make and are in bed by 9pm

Spanish
they pull up start drinking immediately while putting the legs down put their music on at max volume and PARTY unlike 3am even though the site may say no noise after 10:30pm so if you're wild camping and they pull up Oh Dear

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we had a lovely moment in France last year, pulled into an aire, picked location based on sun left in day, got drinks, reset sat dome, watched BBC news, French MH arrived (might have been german) dish went up, span round loads of times, went back down moved pitches, repeat as from start, move again, repeat again, move again repeat as before, dish down

Put coat on walk past us glaring in at our TV, we could have been watching a DVD for all he knew, but could tell he was not happy

what I did learn was a dish is very obvious spinning and not finding anything, a dome is pretty much anonymous (y)

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
We watched a dutch van arrive. Satellite dish was out first on a tripod trying various positions around the pitch. Eventually found a suitable spot and pegged out the tripod. The van was at a very jaunty angle and I wondered why they hadn't bothered to level it.

The following morning they decided the van needed to be levelled, for which purpose the satellite dish had to be moved! They then spent some time with levelling ramps and shunting back and forth. Eventually settled on a position and put the tripod back in place.

I am convinced that they had ramped up the wrong corner and the jaunty angle was worse than before. :LOL:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Normally find the French are more concerned about having TV than the Germans. Saw one strange French van it was a low profile CB quite old it had double doors on the side which gave a huge opening. Inside on the table was a full size old fashioned CRT 32" TV that practically filled the van and they had to squeeze by it to move about.:)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Only read this to find out what happens on sites.

What is a 'Pitch'

What is levelling?

What are 'neighbours'

What is EHU?

What is a sat dish?

What is a TV?

I do however know how long it takes from handbrake-gas-switch fridge-awning-chairs and table-beer-sit -sup.

3 minutes - tops.

We do however know about wildcamping, walking, cycling, good food etc. Next might be a kayak.

Geoff

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
I think if I wanted to watch satellite TV (do people still even use those things?) and sit under a flimsy awning in a fold-up chair that is less stable than the North Korean government, drinking lukewarm beer, I would rather stay at home, sleep in a 2M wide bed and laze around drinking properly chilled beer beside my own pool.

Everyone is different. To us getting on the road is a touring adventure, a chance to travel around, see different places, visit the local shops, meet the local people, try out our language skills and trying not to look like tourists.

First thing for us to find a suitable wild spot, where we are troubling nobody, and unlikely to be surrounded by loads of other M/H. Failing that, a small aire with people nice enough to wave a welcome is usually an invitation we can’t refuse. Sites are way down our preference lists, below supermarket car parks, (hopefully) dry river beds, satanic gatherings and cemeteries.

Getting the gas on and the kettle boiling is our first priority. Seldom need EHU, TV is used for occasional downloaded films, and I have never once had to use my levellers. Basically, no more than 5 minutes set up, a quick cuppa, scratch my substantial ar5e and enjoy a bit of good old British late middle age letching at the local scenery – perfection.

Stereotyping, I know, but the Germans all seem to meticulously stake out their turf, then sit inside their vans with a beer in their hairy mits, glowering belligerently at everyone else, the Dutch seem to constantly cycle aimlessly around in circles or wander around obsessing about toilets, the French always seem to be preparing their next meal, the Spanish always look like they have just got “off the job” (lucky buggers) and the Portuguese just watch football 24/7 as if they were at home.

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
We don't have a TV so no satellite dish to worry about - tea for Mrs T & wine (or coffe) for me

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Got signing to a Belgium guy at gravelines a couple of years ago as neither of us could understand the other we exchanged a couple of beers and he wanted to show off his van and how it had 3 TVs in all working. Then showed his monkey bike got it out of garage put bars up then tried to ride away, 5 min later Denise said it would go better if he took the chain of the back wheel.

Joe

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
hook up,then off to the bar:whistle:

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
Loved it when we had our French registered van and had the dish up, French used to drive themselves insane trying to get a signal by looking at our dish direction

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I thought they went round and peed on everything to mark their territory
upload_2017-5-6_13-23-2.jpeg

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I climb on the roof and polish my aerial to make sure I get the very best signal. ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back