Whats the best way to store your van? (1 Viewer)

Summies

Free Member
Sep 6, 2009
Funster No
Now that its getting a little cooler what is the best method of storing my van to avoid damp etc. I was unsure as to wether i should leave it plugged in and turn the heater on overnight! If so what setting should i leave it on using a trauma heater. Or is this just burning electricity and money?
:Cool:

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
Good question, I am newish to motorhomes and mine is in storage(outside)I must admit i was thinking of bringing it home every three weeks and charging it up as I think this will charge the van battery as well, when I had a caravan I used to lift all the seats to help air circulate and leave bowls of salt(2) to absorb any moisture.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
When not in use in the winter months we keep the chill off ours with a small oil filled radiator on a low setting all the time. We get no problem with damp or humidity and the furnishings always seem well aired .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
When not in use in the winter months we keep the chill off ours with a small oil filled radiator on a low setting all the time. We get no problem with damp or humidity and the furnishings always seem well aired .

I agree totally with the above, and have followed the same route for more years than I care to remember, in both caravans and motorhomes, and (touch wood) never had problems,

Dave:thumb::thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have a small oil filled radiator but last winter we used it a lot less than in our first couple of winters with the van. We found we used a lot less electricity so it appeared that we had been using the radiator when there was no real need.

We do lift the cushions and leave cupboard/locker doors open to avoid cold spots and fully drain the water systems (including Don Madge's trick of blowing down the shower pipe).

Will do the same this year but make sure we monitor it - easier for us than some as the van is parked on our drive.

Graham

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Do you get a tune when you blow down the shower pipe ? ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Why not just carry on using it :Smile:

We've had some great trips during the winter months, mostly in the north of Scotland. As long as you have heating of some description, it's easy to get things cosy.

dencol

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper
Not sure where you are thinking of storing the van?
I have a panel van conversion 'stored' at home. I tend to run the van every other week to warm up the engine, wheels, interior. Thats if I am not on a site somewhere during the month. Some of our best times way have been in the winter months.

If I take it for a run will combine with a day out / picnic somewhere.

Have never used heater whilst the van is laid up, I know a few people who do and have no problems but another friend found that it just caused condensation and damp where the fittings touched the walls. Would suggets if you go down the heater route that you check every couple of days at first as every van is different.

Colin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back