What's the best way to get to Denmark? (1 Viewer)

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
We are just starting to plan a possible trip to Denmark later this year having loved the country on a couple of cruise stop offs, and wondered if anyone could tell us the best way to get there? Apart from one article in a magazine and a couple of brief mentions here it doesn't seem to feature much in people's plans, although I haven't done a full search yet!

Which ferry route (I am starting from Tewkesbury) would be best and which roads should I aim for to get there? I don't want toll roads if possible as I am in no hurry. Hopefully I can book a couple of sites in advance but what's it like there if you turn up at one unannounced? As you can see at this stage I know nothing, so any info would be gratefully received!

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
hopefully someone will come along with more info than I have. we have an outline plan, probably for next year, to cross via the tunnel and take a slow drive up through Germany and then into Denmark, Sweden, touching on Finland before heading south through Norway. probably take around 2 months.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
The only ferrys that is at the moment is from UK to Holland or Dover/folkestone then by road through Germany then in to Denmark , there is talk that the route from harwich of esbjerg will open again but I have not seen any thing yet.enjoy your travels, regards AlfandM

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Its not actually too bad a drive from Calais/Dunkirk and lots of interesting stops along the way. We spent an unplanned week in Denmark this September as weather was unseasonably favourable.

You do need to be prepared for the expense, fuel is ok but eating and drinking is pricey. We managed to get away without a 'danish camping card' but they are not cheap. There are a few free stops (Riba was particularly nice) and there are a few 'aires' on marinas but expect to pay 15-20 euros/night.

Also watch out for speed cameras, limits are silly slow 50/43 (under/over 3500kgs) on main road and 50mph on Motorways. But overall an interesting country to visit.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just to add: Be ready for a delay entering Denmark as they are reintroducing checkpoints (actually erecting new buildings).

And take your a supply of booze with you (might be repeating that one - hic!)

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
We went overnight on the Harwich / hook of Holland Ferry, had a couple of nights in Amsterdam then drove to Bremen (Germany - 220ish miles) and then to Puttgarden for the ferry to Rodby (160ish miles) the next day for the ferry to Rodby. That did mean up to 5 hours / day driving but as usual for us we only had 2 weeks in total away from work so wanted to get to Denmark quickly before touring round slowly.
We found the overnight ferry a good option for us as it is about 250 miles from home meaning the rest overnight was welcome :)

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Bob my wife is Danish so we get their a few times being not far from you at Stratford since the Harwich Esjberg finished we prefer Dover Calais Belgium Germany and ferry puttgarden if memory serves just over 500 miles from Calais

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back