whats the best vfm way to get fon into my mh. (1 Viewer)

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
hi. the more i look the more confused i get with regard to ,modems aerials,routers ,mifi arrrrggh.
please, i have 3 feel at home with 30 gig tethering even when abroad but what's the best way to get fon also ,i see set ups that cost hundreds but im not that desperate to connect. so whats a good reasonably priced set up to get fon and pull in campsite wifi.
thanks in advance(y):pop:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi
You can't buy a Fon router in the UK anymore unless you buy it 2nd hand and are provided with log in details..A MUST

Or if you have a Bt account you can set up the Fon through that.

OP
OP
friar tuck

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
sorry should have made it clear in my post i have a Bt account!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If I'm reading the post correctly you're asking two questions:

1. How to get FON access
2. How to improve you're Wifi reception.

They aren't the same thing.

As Sandra says the only legitimate way to obtain FON access in the UK is from BT.

As to boosting your Wifi reception you have some options with varying costs. The best advice I can give you is the better your IT capabilities the less you can get away with spending. The various Motorhome WiFi options are by no means the cheapest but their after sales support is unbeatable. You could probably spend a third of the money on some bits and pieces and put yourself a similar kit together but you won't get any support at all from the sellers if you get stuck or if it stops working.

Only you know how tech savvy you are. If you aren't but you won't spend the money that brings the help then the very best of luck (y)

OP
OP
friar tuck

friar tuck

Free Member
Nov 15, 2011
redruth cornwall
Funster No
MH
a class rv
Exp
im a newbie
good answer Nicknic. im reasonably savvy but i just hate buying some things that are tripled in price because they are tagged under motorhome or even worse put under marine,then they are really expensive.i have BT account so can gain fon access easy enough but i would like to be able to draw it in from a greater distance. i think i boost products are good but are they as good as the price suggests.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
good answer Nicknic. im reasonably savvy but i just hate buying some things that are tripled in price because they are tagged under motorhome or even worse put under marine,then they are really expensive.i have BT account so can gain fon access easy enough but i would like to be able to draw it in from a greater distance. i think i boost products are good but are they as good as the price suggests.

The products I mentioned aren't just expensive because they have motorhome stickers on them. The ongoing support that will be available from Adam if you need it makes the Motorhome Wifi products worth every penny IMHO.

I'm sure someone will be along soon recommending one of the cheaper products or you could find one yourself easily enough on Google. You just need to decide if you can do without tech support if it stops working.

are they as good as the price suggests.

Yes basically.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I know some use a solwise system but I cannot comment on it. Hopefully some others will give you info of their findings.

Last edited:

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Or this on eBay.

I bought from Solwise as they sell a variety of aerials and have good phone support (in the UK) if you need it.

Screenshot_20161228-231326.png

Last edited:

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Motorhome WiFi iBoost is very good. They have now begun marketing an aerial that can be installed on the roof in place of a TV aerial, which is all very well in relatively open locations. Sometimes, with trees around, I have actually found that I can only connect if the aerial is mounted low down on the motorhome in order to achieve line of sight beneath the trees. Something to consider when deciding what to go for.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I am sitting up in Pitlochry and was happily using my iboost when suddenly it stopped working.
Looked out to see another motorhome had pulled up and was now blocking my line of sight.
A quick knock on the door and nicely asked to move 3feet now has me back connected again :) Shows how fickle they can be.

If you don't get connected try moving the iboost a few feet:xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back