whats the best sat nav to buy (1 Viewer)

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
happy new year all I am looking for a sat nav frustrated not sure what to buy . some recommend tom tom some say garmin . does anyone know any sites to pick up a bargain
thanks

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Paper map , compass , and partner. She will question if not doubt the Tomtom or Garmin:D.
Lot of decent apps now which run on phone or tablet.
Think it depends on whether you want to load poi's.
I jump between google maps and "Here we go " on my phone and tablet.
Will be loads of advice soon , from people with more experience than me.
Don't think any of them are perfect though.
John

NomadicDad

Free Member
Sep 28, 2017
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
Rimor
Exp
Newbie to motorhomes but lots of classic VW and camping experience
I just use my android mobile phone in a cradle and Co Pilot Caravan which is also for motorhomes and it seems to work well, doesn't need you to be online as it lets you downlod the whole of Europe to your phone including speed cameras and POIs and most importantly allows you to enter your motorhome size to prevent you driving anywhere that is restricted etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I'm afraid you'll have to do some research first, listing what you expect from a SatNav, folk will normally recommend whatever unit they use as they are much of a muchness generally.

I always plot my own routes using Michelin Maps as they give the width of the roads and are quite accurate. Then use a mapping program (Mapsource) to create said routes and download them to my Zumo 660.. never lets me down.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Garmin navicam for me - but I've needed the first replaced under warranty.
I sometimes have three GPS plus co-pilot with map - although it is best to have an odd number of advisers so you can go with majority opinion.

kelpie

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
There you go ,answers and suggestions rolling in ,give it another couple of hours and you will have a shortlist of twenty:). All will work with different success . Wouldnt like to make the call:D.
John

OP
OP
Robert cardiff

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
Paper map , compass , and partner. She will question if not doubt the Tomtom or Garmin:D.
Lot of decent apps now which run on phone or tablet.
Think it depends on whether you want to load poi's.
I jump between google maps and "Here we go " on my phone and tablet.
Will be loads of advice soon , from people with more experience than me.
Don't think any of them are perfect though.
John
cheers

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
OP
OP
Robert cardiff

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
I just use my android mobile phone in a cradle and Co Pilot Caravan which is also for motorhomes and it seems to work well, doesn't need you to be online as it lets you downlod the whole of Europe to your phone including speed cameras and POIs and most importantly allows you to enter your motorhome size to prevent you driving anywhere that is restricted etc.

OP
OP
Robert cardiff

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
thanks good advice

OP
OP
Robert cardiff

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

Garmin do a Camper version similar to the truck unit which is cheaper.

Amazon product ASIN B00Z06RPFW
You can input the vehicle dimensions and weight on this one as well.

I have one which is generally ok but I have experienced some routing problems. Into a deadend going to Moffat camsite, Taking some unnecessairly long routes and even directing me through a car parking road for shops. I find the Traffic on a Tomtom better and generally the routing has been better although you can have the occassional surprise. Part of the problem appears to be that the maps they have for GPS units don't have enough data re road widths.

Regarding using a phone there has been some comments recently re problems should you be seen tapping the phone and so being charged for using a phone whilst driving.

Oct 19, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Class C?
Exp
Returning to a motorhome.
If you don't mind me butting in here! Are the Chinese ones any good with the sd card. I'm a skinflint!

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
We use a chinese sat nav 7" screen, all dimensions keyed in (e-bay). Bloody brilliant piece of kit for £40. We are on our second one, first got wet and was never the same. At this price you could afford to change it every year, but ours lasted 5 years, with free up-dates.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Garmin camper and iPhone with google map running along side :D2:D2

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Another vote for 7” £50 Chinese model, had it approx 5yrs now never failed to get us anywhere, Used it all over the UK and in France & Belgium both in the car/van & RV
Get ours updated from Lunarman on the forum (y)

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Another vote for 7” £50 Chinese model, had it approx 5yrs now never failed to get us anywhere, Used it all over the UK and in France & Belgium both in the car/van & RV
Get ours updated from Lunarman on the forum (y)

Had one of these and it worked great , lasted 3-4 years before failing . Not bad going for a gadget costing around £30.

After reading reviews etc , next sat nav was a garmin camper 660 model . Not impressed in the slightest . Gradually , its usability became at best unreliable , to the point it was really unusable . It was sent back to garmin , returned to me as apparently fixed and working . Again and gradually the thing became very unreliable . By this time the unit was about the 14 month mark and out of warranty. Garmin was further contacted . Their solution being , send us £109 and we will provide you with a guaranteed working unit...... Eh , no thankyou ..... Basically for us , a poor product and not worth the premium cost .

About 6 weeks ago , onto e bay , bought another nozatec offering at I think £38. The thing just works with so far , no glitches.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Chinese sat nav. went through 2 of them probably lasted 4 years between them. Unfortunately the sat navs were nicknamed "Miss Wong Wei"
Got the Garmin 770 now for a tad under 300 nicker. Got the money now whereas before i didnt. different situations dictated which one to buy.
I do like out garmin now though.
My dad gave me some good advice.
Get the best, cheapest or most economical. Its worked for me throughout life apart from choosing the wrong one when i got married !!!!!

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
happy new year all I am looking for a sat nav frustrated not sure what to buy . some recommend tom tom some say garmin . does anyone know any sites to pick up a bargain
thanks
Happy New year Robert. It's all out there depending on your needs and how much you want to spend. You can get the cheap Ebay Chinese Sat Navs that some of our members have used. Apps that you can use on your phone that range from free to £50 + or dedicated devices designed and produced for the Motorhome. Tom Tom used to have a Camper and Caravan that was very good but no longer produce and the latest top of the range IMO is the Garmin 770LMT-D Sat Nav which is a high end product and comes with free lifetime map updates and for a small fee lifetime speed cameras. A superb all singing all dancing Sat Nav with loads and loads of features. Not cheap though.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
We are in the same position in having to update our old Tom Tom.
I was given the advice some time ago from a fellow well travelled MH owner, who said go for the Garmin Camper (not the one with the built in dash cam though). His reasoning was that you could then use the "Basecamp" feature where you can plan your route, add any POI,s that you want, input yur MH dimensions, add other features like avoid Tolls, then download all this from your laptop/desktop onto your Garmin device before you venture on your desired routes.
We have been holding on for Black Friday deals, or New Year sales as we are skinflints, so far the cheapest deal is online ordering only with Halfords for The 770LMT-D but as said its expensive compared to other methods, but we want a dedicated stand alone unit ideally.
Good Luck, happy travels.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Chinese for me, backed up with a good road atlas for planning the next days run. Have had it a year and it's been road tested in France, A1 piece of kit.

OP
OP
Robert cardiff

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
I'm afraid you'll have to do some research first, listing what you expect from a SatNav, folk will normally recommend whatever unit they use as they are much of a muchness generally.

I always plot my own routes using Michelin Maps as they give the width of the roads and are quite accurate. Then use a mapping program (Mapsource) to create said routes and download them to my Zumo 660.. never lets me down.
cheers for advice

OP
OP
Robert cardiff

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
We are in the same position in having to update our old Tom Tom.
I was given the advice some time ago from a fellow well travelled MH owner, who said go for the Garmin Camper (not the one with the built in dash cam though). His reasoning was that you could then use the "Basecamp" feature where you can plan your route, add any POI,s that you want, input yur MH dimensions, add other features like avoid Tolls, then download all this from your laptop/desktop onto your Garmin device before you venture on your desired routes.
We have been holding on for Black Friday deals, or New Year sales as we are skinflints, so far the cheapest deal is online ordering only with Halfords for The 770LMT-D but as said its expensive compared to other methods, but we want a dedicated stand alone unit ideally.
Good Luck, happy travels.

yes I have looked at the Garmin same has you its a lot of money to lay out , wanted something with life time up dates ,I use a Tom Tom in work and its pretty good just keep looking you also have safe travels Thank you

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Just get something you can easily add your own POIs to. I'm also impressed by those with live traffic monitoring - we use one for travelling in a major city around rush hour and we're rarely delayed more than 10 minutes.

Personal preference for car and MH is the TomTom Go 5000 with the pointless 3D buildings option switched off to save memory space. It's not a new model but it was priced reasonably and does what we need. We've got two of them and we can easily keep them synchronised. Main drawback with TomTom is the hours it takes to update the maps online - you have to leave it downloading overnight.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
If you don't mind me butting in here! Are the Chinese ones any good with the sd card. I'm a skinflint!
I've got a 9" Joying, so far far brilliant. The built in sat nav app is pretty good but American. Easy to load any other app or extra pois. Runs the acsi app with ease plus camper contact etc.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Of the 3 satnavs I use, my favourite is the chinese cheapy. I am on my second one as the first died after a year or so, but so cheap you could always carry a spare.
I don't plan routes in advance though, often I change my mind where I'm going part way through a journey.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back