What's the best phone to use abroad? (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Trying to get into the 21st centry re phones. At present using a Tesco £10 phone and iPad . Would like one where I could connect to wifi etc, on a very low monthly tariff or should I buy one outright. Have a dongle but still having trouble with it. I use the phone only for texting and the iPad for looking at MHF and our local free newspaper. Any suggestions please.

Colyboy

NYE LOOE

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
If you want relatively cheap but now awesome value for rmoney I think you'd be hard pressed to beat a Samsung galaxy S4.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have a contract phone with ee as I tend to use my phone for everything, don't have a tablet or computer, I have unlimited calls texts and 20gb of Internet data to use anywhere in Europe I pay £36 per month for this on a Samsung Galaxy s7 which is a great a round phone and the camera is fantastic
I've taken better pics with this than friends gave taken with expensive bulky cameras

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Never looked back after buying iPhone 7 plus with 3, £15 a month 30g/ 200 mins / unlimited text. Plus motorhome wi/fi set up . On this road trip Sweden / Finland can't fault it

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Never looked back after buying iPhone 7 plus with 3, £15 a month 30g/ 200 mins / unlimited text. Plus motorhome wi/fi set up . On this road trip Sweden / Finland can't fault it
I assume you mean you bought the phone yourself and then just got a sim only deal?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Does your iPad have it's own sim or do you tether?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Trying to get into the 21st centry re phones. At present using a Tesco £10 phone and iPad . Would like one where I could connect to wifi etc, on a very low monthly tariff or should I buy one outright. Have a dongle but still having trouble with it. I use the phone only for texting and the iPad for looking at MHF and our local free newspaper. Any suggestions please.

Colyboy

NYE LOOE
Can you not connect to Wi-Fi with the iPad? If you prefer to use a smaller phone instead then I suggest one of the cheap Android devices you can buy - you shouldn't need to spend more than £50 and could spend a lot less. The trade offs are screen resolution, memory and battery life over the more expensive ones, but they will do the job.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Well haven't tried to tether yet on trip , I am thinking about power usage ? In fact once I get home 3 wks I want to put forward observations and questions on forum about sims ? I link up iPad( no sim ) with mi if again no prob with 3 . It's just the power situation ? You got to watch . Mind you I have done enough MLS to keep things charged up ! Yes brought phone

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
You can keep any phone or tablet charged using a 12v ciigy lighter type socket. Just buy a suitable adaptor.
It's best to go for brand adapter , not a pound shop one they get very very hot !

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It's best to go for brand adapter , not a pound shop one they get very very hot !
I am not talking about pound shop stuff. None of the adaptors I use get very hot (let alone very very) . If they did I wouldn't use them.

Nearly all tablets and phones now available are based on the 5v USB system. You can get dedicated USB sockets for motorhomes. Or you can get reliable USB adaptors that fit your 12v sockets.

We have been using them for years in cars and motorhomes to charge phones, tablets iphones ipads mifis etc without any problems.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
I am not talking about pound shop stuff. None of the adaptors I use get very hot (let alone very very) . If they did I wouldn't use them.

Nearly all tablets and phones now available are based on the 5v USB system. You can get dedicated USB sockets for motorhomes. Or you can get reliable USB adaptors that fit your 12v sockets.

We have been using them for years in cars and motorhomes to charge phones, tablets iphones ipads mifis etc without any problems.
I agreed , griffin do a good iPad lighting charger I use ,short lead 5vdc 2100ma or a Belkin dual charger does a good job

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@colyboy I would suggest you keep your current setup, you seem happy with it. From your usage patterns I would suggest that all the whistles and bells of a smartphone are going to be a bit of a waste.

If you want your own WiFi in the van, a MiFi unit is the way to go. We have just got back from our annual holiday, our MiFi is on EE pay as you go, worked seamlessly all the way.

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I bought a Motoroller G5 plus. Cost £225 outright, no contract. It has duel sim so when visiting other countries I can buy a local sim and still use my own. Battery last me for around three days, good camera and screen. Good reviews when comparing it against the latest i Phones and Samsungs.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back