Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Small car - shmall, yah boo sucks - go for a decent sized monster such as our Volvo V70 estate............. somewhere to get your feet under the table, yeahhhh:thumb:

Towed on an American Blue Ox frame (10,000lb limit) in conjunction with a brake buddy - sheer luxury.......:thumb:

Am only just working on fitting it, but will let you know the results after our first trip out :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
its time for me to upgrade my tow car I have allways towed on a A-frame and wondered if any members know the best small car to tow.
Paul
Its all down to personal choice and needs,
I tow a small 6 seater mini bus, Diahatsu Hi Jet, because i like to be social and offer a lift to the nearest pub,
John(RR) needs a Long Wheelbase Transit!!! have you seen his two Great Danes?
The Smart Car is the in thing to tow if your fashion conscious, tell us what you need it for and the suggestions will roll in you can bet if there are 20 reply's you'll get 20 cars to choose from:ROFLMAO:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
What you really need is a Jeep Grand Chrerokee on an A Frame and a brake buddy system. Works a treat and towed behind the Concord like a dream.

Dont bother with small wimpy cars get a REAL CAR to tow :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
i weould love to tow the Jeep GC but scared to as a combination.

Towing Kia Cerato at the present but seems over the top as a toad used only when we go away.

Looking for a cheapy but decent cheapies dont exist in Wales:Doh::cry:

Going to look at a Citreon ZX diesel 70 miles away if i ever get some time off:RollEyes:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi John

Dont be scared!!!!:Eeek: You really dont know its there and we had no problems going round quite a few tight turns in France last year. Wherever the RV will go the Jeep will follow in its tracks. Had 1 scarey moment coming home from Dover when a lorry pulled out on us and we had to slam on the brakes but the B Buddy worked superbly and both RV and Jeep stopped with room to spare :thumb:

We found the fuel used to tow the extra bit of weight is more than covered by not buying another vehicle and all the cost (tax, insurance maintenance) etc and we also have a lovely car to drive when we get to where we are going. We imported the towing system from USA (Ask Linda!!!) and I bought the B Buddy off USA Ebay for a good price.:thumb:

The other advantage of course is that if the RV gets stuck or breaks down youve got the kit behind it to get you out of trouble!!!!:thumb:

Do the sums....you know it makes sense!!!:Blush:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I am just worried about getting stopped with such a large car in tow (I know it's nought to the RV as look what they hook up in the States) a Jeep GC is a small toad to them:thumb:

I am not doing anything wrong except the grey area of the A frame :)Nowink:no A frame debates please :pray: as I am happy using mine:Smile:)

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
I haven't seen anything in this discussion about doing the simple math to determine what can be safely towed.

Towing capacity = (Train weight) - (Maximum authorised mass).

In U.S. terms this would be:

Towing capacity = (Gross combined vehicle weight rating) - (gross vehicle weight rating).

The above assume that the hitch system and tow bar are also appropriately rated.

As has been stated, the ability to stop safely is greatly increased with the use of an auxiliary braking system (Brake Buddy is one of many, but is simple to use and we've heard of very few problems with them). I don't know about the equivalent laws in the UK or Europe, but in the U.S. and Canada, the requirement varies by state or province, and most define a minimum weight of towed vehicle beyond which an auxiliary braking system is required.

We tow a Chevy Suburban which weighs around 7,000 lbs (3500 Kg), but we're well within the calculated and specified safe towing capacity. The Suburban has an M&G auxiliary brake, which is essentially an air cylinder between the brake master cylinder and the boost. Air to actuate the brake is provided by air from the coach braking system. (There are alternatives to allow use of this system with coaches that have hydraulic brakes.)

We also have laws that limit the maximum length of the coach/toad combination, although many folks ignore it. I don't know how these folks would stand from a legal and liability point if there were involved in an accident deemed to the be their fault. Again, I have no idea what the legal length limits are in the UK or Europe.

BTW there's nowt wrong with an appropriately rated A-frame; We previously towed a large 4x4 using one. The downside is that you either have to find somewhere to store it at a campground (and possibly have it stolen) or leave it attached to the toad and drive with it sticking up above the hood/bonnet. The latter is illegal here if it sticks up more that some defined amount (can't recall what that limit is).

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
paulharrison
Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
What you really need is a Jeep Grand Chrerokee on an A Frame and a brake buddy system. Works a treat and towed behind the Concord like a dream.

Dont bother with small wimpy cars get a REAL CAR to tow :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hi Dazzer I bet your grand chrerokee would look good behind my concord, and its the kind of car I would go for, was it hard fitting the A-frame, the bbsystem is that the box which just sits on the floor and plugs in the fag lighter and presses the brake pedal, youve got me thinking ? can I tow my 7 series
Paul

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
.... the bbsystem is that the box which just sits on the floor and plugs in the fag lighter and presses the brake pedal...

That's the one. Can be used in virtually any toad.

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Hi we had an 'M' reg Peugeot 205 turbo diesel that we towed for years but the power steering went hard could this have been due to towing?

A replacement rack cured the problem but what are your views on towing a power steered car surely that is not good for the seering rack? Or should you opt for a small non power steered model?

Just a thought

Regards Pat

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi we had an 'M' reg Peugeot 205 turbo diesel that we towed for years but the power steering went hard could this have been due to towing?

What you got now Pat?

=================================================================

One thing i have notice is slight wear on the outsides of the front tyres.

Nought to bad though just swapped em over for the rears.

Interesting to see the car wheels turn when i've towed the toad behind my Jeep.

Last edited:

Edgie

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
The new Hyundai i10 is fantastic and has had superb reviews, if you want a real bargain the last of the Amica's are currently being sold by Hyundai dealers... brilliant build quality, practical design, and 5 yrs warranty... Not sure where you are in South Wales but Dealers in Kilgetty, Neath, Bridgend, Cwmbran, Cardiff. Hyundai

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
What you got now Pat?

=================================================================

One thing i have notice is slight wear on the outsides of the front tyres.

Nought to bad though just swapped em over for the rears.

Interesting to see the car wheels turn when i've towed the toad behind my Jeep.

Hi John

Not got a toad at the moment but I was thinking of putting an 'A' frame on our Renault Megane (I've got one in the shed) if we can ever prize it away from our daughter (she blew her Peugeot up)!

Link Removed

Regards Pat

T

TJ-RV

Deleted User
Paul,

The folks at Link Removed have the BrakeBuddy on sale. I've bought other stuff from them in the past and been quite happy. I don't know if they'll ship to the UK but, if they say no, I'd think that a simple explanation that they can use the same shipper they'd use in the U.S. (UPS or Federal Express) would change their mind.

Friends have told me they've bought the BrakeBuddy second hand on eBay, but international shipping might be a bigger (mental) problem for a private seller.

I haven't bought an A frame in a long time. If you'd asked a couple of years ago, I threw a good one out; Had it in the garage for a number of years, and would have gladly let it go just the cost of shipping.

Just noticed that Roadmaster also makes a couple of A-Frame models.

Why would you buy an A frame rather than a collapsible tow bar? Although there's nothing wrong with an A-frame, if I was buying one now I'd buy a collapsible one. We have the Roadmaster Blackhawk all-terrain. BlueOx sells a similar series of tow bars. We don't hear complaints from owners of either brand of tow bar. Of course, in addition the on-motorohome tow bar, you have to buy a base plate specific to your make/model of car. (I wonder if they're available for UK cars?)

Blue Ox also makes the Link Removed, their equivalent to the BrakeBuddy.

Last edited by a moderator:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Hi Dazzer I bet your grand chrerokee would look good behind my concord, and its the kind of car I would go for, was it hard fitting the A-frame, the bbsystem is that the box which just sits on the floor and plugs in the fag lighter and presses the brake pedal, youve got me thinking ? can I tow my 7 series
Paul

Hi Paul funnily enough it looks a bit like this when towed behind my Concord!!:ROFLMAO:

If your BMW is Automatic it may need altering to be towable. The Jeep is great cos even though its an auto box you just stick the transfer box into neutral and away you go!!

Attachments

• Image(16).jpg
    Image(16).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all,you lot need to get a caravan,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: if you are using the van to get around in then why tow a car:thumb:
:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
we need a poll to see how people use there vans:ROFLMAO:
terry
BTW mate tows a smart car,says it is brill :ROFLMAO::thumb:
at only 19 ft we just abandone it in any old car space:ROFLMAO: no need for a tow car:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi all,you lot need to get a caravan,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: if you are using the van to get around in then why tow a car:thumb:
:Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
we need a poll to see how people use there vans:ROFLMAO:
terry
BTW mate tows a smart car,says it is brill :ROFLMAO::thumb:
at only 19 ft we just abandone it in any old car space:ROFLMAO: no need for a tow car:thumb:

thing is terry, when your on site for a few days you dont want to put everything back in the cupboards, roll up your hookup cable, lift your corner steadies and lower your satdish/aerial just to go to the shop for milk, beer, fags, bread ect cos you got it wrong and ran out of the above.:Blush::Doh::thumb:the plus side is you have transport for sightseeing without the hastle of looking for another site 'cos some caravan tuggers nicked your pitch when you come back for the night.:Angry:

you guys are ok at 19ft for parking but think of those with a 36ft RV going for milk.:whatthe:

john.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb: oh for the simple life:ROFLMAO: thats why we stuck under 20 ft :thumb: just pack away kettle and EHU, blinds off & away in under 2 mins - never had a prob with tuggers nicking pitch-YET-:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back