Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Hi Folks

We are off to the Isle of Wight for Christmas (yes I know its not quite the Algarve, we havent get time to go there now!). We are going across on the 23 dec but will have 2 days to kill before we go over.

Can anyone make some recommendations of somewhere nice to visit within an hour of the Southampton Ferry? I know this is a bit of a broad request and we wont hold it against you if it turns out to be rubbish. We like nice little seaside towns or pretty villages, that kind of thing. will probably stay on a CL so any recommendations of good CL's appreciated or indeed good wild camping spots.

Cheers
BD

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Take a drive through the New Forest if you haven't been before. Some pretty villages and traditional pubs. Look for the Hobbler on the Brockenhurst-New Milton road B3055. Also The Sir John Barleycorn off the Cadnam roundabout.

Last edited:

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
Portsmouth has HMS Victory, HMS Warrior and the Spinnaker Tower. My other half is a tour guide on Victory!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks chaps. We thought we might do the New Forest when we leave the Isle of Wight so thanks for the tips. Portsmouth could be a possibility as there is stuff to see, I quite fancy the tower and the Victory.

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I think that the most beautiful place around the Solent is Bucklers Hard. A 16th century boatbulding village, mostly unchanged. The Master Builder Hotel makes a great place to lunch.

Beaulieu has the National motor museum, and is about 5 mins walk from the hard.

Have a nice time.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Can really recommend the Motor Museum, and if you are a crinklie like me you'll be sure to find an identical model to your first car!

Also Southampton is a shopaholics paradise, West Quay not to be missed.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks again. The Motor museum and HMS Victory look fantastic. Just emailed the Motor Museum to see if I can blag an overnight stop there!

Cheers
BD

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
If you go to Beaulieu and Bucklers Hard take a look at Hythe about 5miles, its got a pier with the oldest pier train (ex WW1) and a great view of all the liners going in and out.
The marina village is worth a look as is Calshot castle, the New Forest at present is saturated rain-rain-rain but still possible to walk keeping to the gravel tracks.

Attachments

• Image024.jpg
    Image024.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 11

hailman

Free Member
Nov 4, 2009
IoW
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Lots, on and off, way back to VW splitty`s!
All good suggestions above, I have an idea there used to be a site around Eastney way somewhere if you are thinking of Portsmouth.

Where are you staying on the Island?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Go for the Victory but be prepared, it aint cheap. well worth it though IMO:thumb:

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks for all the replies. Isnt Hythe where they filmed Howards Way? On the Isle of Wight we are staying at the Waverley Campsite at East Cowes. Got a deal for 7 nights camping plus the ferry (7.6 meter van) for £136 which seemed good value. We dont normally do campsites and prefer to CL or wild but as its going to be over Christmas I though we would see how the other half live with Hookup, water and waste on pitch! sounds positively luxurious. Now your going to tell me its crap!

We will be over on the Island from the 23rd to the 30th and are setting off around the 20th so though we would do Portsmouth and the Victory and Tower then the Isle of wight for 7 days and then maybe go to the Motor Museum, Bucklers Hard and now Hythe. After that we will head off towards Devon and who knows where.

Sounds like there is a fair few things to see in the area

Cheers
BD

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
If you do Hythe, sometimes vans wild camp down 'shore rd' there's a gravel layby facing the sea, you could probably spend the night without being disturbed. Hythe's other claims to fame are a) Hovercraft invented there by Sir Christopher Cockerell b) T E Lawrence (of Arabia) based there working on high speed launches for the raf at the Scott Paine boatyard. I think Howards Way was filmed at Hamble.
more info google hythe-hants
ps market day Tues

Attachments

• 5ships_Page000.jpg
    5ships_Page000.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 14

woodyold

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Poole
Funster No
MH
panel van
Exp
many
Whilst on your way west towards devon call at poole see the largest natural harbour in the world and its quay ,then on to wareham with its river and quay etc ,then morton near wool where theres lawrence of arabias grave and the church with diamond cut stained windows , weymouth ,bridport where they filmed harbour lights with nick berry and lyme regis where french leiutenents woman was filmed etc etc loads to see , have a great journey .:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back